In the beginning, at least as far as Brockport goes, was Hiel Brockway. Co-founder with James Seymour of the village of Brockport, land owner and developer, operator of an Erie Canal boat line, Hiel Brockway was a wealthy and civic minded man. He donated the land where Hartwell Hall now stands, and was a generous supporter of the Brockport Collegiate Institute. Prior to the Collegiate Institute, a Baptist academy had been attempted in Brockport, and it was this campus that the Collegiate Institute acquired when it opened in 1841. That building burned in 1855 and a new building was raised on the same spot, which, with various renovations and additions, served until the 1930's when a campaign by village and college people won the funding to construct a new building (today's Hartwell Hall) to replace the old one which was rapidly deteriorating. Thus from its beginnings until the late 1940s, the entire campus was the lot and building where Hartwell Hall now stands. Looking at the 1940s aerial view of the school you can see how small the campus was, and appreciate what an incredible expansion it underwent from the 1950s to the 1970s.
The expansion was to the west, and first saw the construction of dorms and a college union (now Lathrop Hall) in 1951. Moving from there the college continued to acquire properties and grow west across Kenyon Street and out Holley Street until the Drake Memorial Library and Allen Administration Buildings were finished in 1973.
Click here to see an aerial view of the campus in the late 1940s. Note the line of buildings on the south end of Hartwell Hall, where expansion first took place. These buildings were veterans housing & classroom space. Look west on the other side of Kenyon Street to where Thompson Hall would be now. Near that spot in the late '40s was West Hall, a frame dormitory for women.
The Allen Building was built in 1973 and named after Gordon Allen who was an education professor, dean and then acting president from 1964-65.
Gordon F. Allen (1908-1973) was born in Gainesville, New York and received his bachelor's degree from Houghton College, his master's degree from Cornell University and his doctorate from the University of Buffalo. Prior to coming to Brockport, he contributed to education in New York State at Groveland, Cuylerville and Brighton high schools as teacher, coach and principal. Dr. Allen served the College and University communities for more than 23 years, rising through the academic ranks to Professor of Education, Chairman of the Department of Education and Psychology, Dean of the College, Vice President for Academic Affairs and Acting President. Dr. Allen is remembered as an administrator whose executive ability inspired the confidence and trust of his colleagues and who personified the intangible values of personal integrity, loyalty and professionalism.
Allen Hall is affectionately referred to as the "power tower," and is used for both administrative and academic purposes. It is home to the Office of the President and the rest of the central administration, as well as some instructional classrooms.
Benedict Hall was built in 1965 and named after Edgar Benedict (1905-1990) who was a longtime member of the Board of Trustees (1945-1962). Benedict Hall, along with Gordon, Dobson, and Harmon Halls, is a dormitory complex that was designed to accommodate over 600 students. This three story tall dormitory is styled in a suite manner, with two bedrooms connected by a living room, and a bathroom shared by four student residents. Benedict Hall currently houses freshmen students only.
Bramley Hall was built in 1968 and named after Herbert Bramley (1867-1945), a longtime member of the Board of Trustees from 1935-1945, and a prominent local business person. Bramley Hall, considered one of the high-rise dormitories along with Briggs, Perry, and Mortimer Halls, is home to upper class students. This dorm was designed to have four suites of six students on each floor. The six students share three bedrooms, a living area, and a bathroom.
Briggs Hall was built in 1968 and named after Elizabeth Briggs (1885-1965) who was a Campus School teacher and taught history at Brockport from 1910-1943. Briggs Hall is part of the high-rise dormitory complex along with Bramley, Perry, and Mortimer Halls, located at the west end of campus. This upper class student dorm was designed to have four suites of six students on each floor. The six students share three bedrooms, a living area, and a bathroom.
Brockway Hall was built in 1966 and named after Hiel Brockway, a co-founder of Brockport who in 1836 donated the land on which Hartwell Hall now stands.
Hiel Brockway was a native of Lynn, Connecticut and came to Clarkson shortly after the War of 1812. Upon arrival, he built and operated a tavern. He was a town builder and the first citizen of the village that bears his name. Seizing the opportunity offered by the canal, he speculated the land by building many of the first houses. Brockway owned a brickyard which produced most of the material for their construction. He also owned a shipyard and later operated a packet service on the canal.
Brockway and Seymour, both civic and business minded, donated land for the construction of schools and churches. It was Brockway that contributed the land for the original campus. Shrewd and industrious, but a man of foresight and vision, the founder of Brockport was typical of, and pre-eminent among, the New England immigrants who were the first settlers in the area. Already in the prime of life and father of thirteen children when his village was settled, Hiel Brockway continued to reside in Brockport until his death in 1842.
Today, the Brockway building serves as a dining hall for mostly freshmen students who live in the traditional styled dormitories. Brockway Hall also houses the parking offices and is where new students can receive their photo identification.
Cooper Hall was built in 1965 and named after Charles Cooper, the head of the "training" school at Brockport from 1911-1936.
Cooper's background included Millersville State Normal in Pennsylvania and a bachelor's degree from Bucknell University, eventually supplemented by a master's from the Teacher's College at Columbia University. Cooper was intensely interested in the Training School and the athletic program of the Normal School.
Cooper Hall was the home to the Campus School, and was designed with elementary students in mind. However, the Campus School closed in 1981, and today the building serves many functions. The elementary classrooms are still filled with young children, as one wing of the building is home to the SUNY Brockport daycare center. Other classrooms and offices are utilized by the Anthropology and Education departments, and other wings belongs to the Delta College, Honors Program, McNair Program, and Army ROTC.
Dailey Hall was built in 1967 and named after Vincent Dailey, a Brockport native and the Chairman of the New York State Democratic Party who played a decisive role in obtaining funds for the construction of Hartwell Hall.
Dailey Hall was constructed as one of three dining halls during the building boom of the late 1960s. In 1992, it became the new home of Academic Computing Services and is the main computer lab on campus today. It's centralized location on campus made the building the logical choice for the primary computer facility, and smaller computer labs and staff in Cooper and Drake Library were consolidated into the new Dailey Hall facility.
Dobson Hall was built in 1965 and named after Thomas Dobson (1852-1930) who served on the Board of Trustees from the 1890s until 1930. Dobson was appointed Secretary for the Board of Trustees in 1892, as the successor to Daniel Holmes. He was a druggist by occupation, served as Mayor of the Village and was extremely active in church affairs of St. Luke's and the Masons. Mr. Dobson supported student activities like the lecture series and performances and allowed tickets for these events to be sold in his store.
Dobson Hall, along with Gordon, Benedict, and Harmon Halls, is a dormitory complex that was designed to accommodate over 600 students. This three story tall dormitory is styled in a suite manner, with two bedrooms connected by a living room, and a bathroom shared by four student residents. Dobson Hall currently houses new freshmen students only.
In the beginning the library was a little collection of books housed in a room open only a few hours per week, and was largely used by faculty for reference purposes. It also included a textbook collection and the school's laboratory equipment. As teacher training education became more sophisticated, so did the library.
In the last years of the 1890s, Jeanette Reynolds '73, who had been a secretary at the school, became the librarian. In 1899 she cataloged the collection according to the then new Dewey Decimal system. Affectionately remembered by alumni as "Jenny Wren," she laid the foundations of a modern library. The library she presided over was in the central part of the old Normal School building, and included such things as a "pen writing room," for writing with the fountain pens of that era - only pencils were allowed in the library proper!
In Fall 1939 construction began on the building we know as Hartwell Hall, replacing the old Normal School building. The library in Hartwell was on the second floor, in the center of the building. From the 1940s on the school began to expand, beginning with the winning of teacher's college status in 1942, which called for the expansion of library collections and staff. Hours were extended, and the tradition of library instruction which dated back to the era of "Jenny Wren" continued.
With the postwar expansion of the college, the library became terribly crowded and staff schedules actually had to be planned around the small number of available work areas.
In 1961 the college opened the first building dedicated exclusively as a library, Drake Memorial Library. It was named after two unrelated college staff members, Bernard Drake and Ruth Drake. Bernard Drake was an administrator, Education professor and the dean of students from 1936-1957. He graduated from the Normal School at Fredonia and received his master's degree from Columbia. Drake worked in public schools as Supervising Principal or Superintendent of school in New York communities including Celeran, Silver Creek and Babylon. Prior to his arrival at Brockport, he had been working toward his doctorate at Columbia. Drake initiated a study on the existing structured curriculum of the college in 1948, which resulted in the offering of a greater selection of courses to students.
The name also played homage to Ruth Drake, who was a member of the faculty for 31 years. Ms. Drake was born in Evanston, Illinois and graduated from Wellesley College in 1926. She entered Brockport as a Kindergarten instructor in 1928, and later earned her master's degree from Columbia in 1946, and a degree in Library Science from Western Reserve University. After several years as the campus Kindergarten Critic, Ms. Drake became the Campus School Librarian until her retirement in 1959.
This new building would serve as the home of the library until 1974, when the library moved to its current location on the south side of campus next to Allen. The old building, now named Rakov, serves as home to many of the school's enrollment and business offices.
Edwards Hall was built in 1968 and named after Aletta Edwards and William Edwards, no relation. Aletta Edwards (?-1939) was an English professor and chair of the department from 1908-1934. She graduated from the former State Normal School at Brockport and received her Bachelor of Philosophy degree from Syracuse University. She received her master's degree at the University of Rochester and did advanced work toward her doctorate at the University of Wisconsin, and at Cambridge University, England.
William Edwards (1902-1959) was chair of the Social Sciences Department from 1941-1959. He was born in Court House, Ohio and attended both the University of Chicago and Ohio State, where he received his bachelor's and master's of history in the same year. After doing graduate work at the University of Minnesota and Brookings Institute of Washington, DC, he returned to Ohio State for his Ph.D. During his term at Brockport, Edwards did an exchange professorship with the University of Madras in India, where he taught politics.
Edwards Hall is the main lecture hall on campus and holds the Blue Room, the largest instructional room at Brockport.
Gordon Hall was built in 1966 and named by committee for the Gordon family and dedicated in 1973. The Gordon family was prominent locally. Luther Gordon (1822-1881) was a successful businessman who supported the school at a crucial financial point just after the Civil War. Ida May (Hooker) Gordon (1854-1946), was married to Luther Gordon's only son George. She was one of two women appointed to the Board of Trustees in 1917.
Luther Gordon was a lumber dealer in the village, and a political force in the Republican Party. Mr. Gordon, along with other town members, refused to pay the Normal School taxes, and he instituted a suit in the Supreme Court against the village for seizing lumber. The court declared the village actions legal, and the tax was paid. Yet afterwards, Mr. Gordon bought half the bonds issued to construct the new Normal building.
Gordon Hall, along with Benedict, Dobson, and Harmon Halls, is a dormitory complex that was designed to accommodate over 600 students. This three story tall dormitory is styled in a suite manner, with two bedrooms connected by a living room, and a bathroom shared by four student residents. Gordon Hall currently offers a substance-free floor, 24 hour quiet floors, and a returning scholars' floor.
Harmon Hall was built in 1966 and named after George Harmon Jr. (1880-?), a local business person who, as leader of the "Committee on One Hundred", headed the fight of the later 1930s to get a new building for Brockport.
George Harmon Jr. was in the marble business prior to becoming a local insurance agent. He served as Mayor, Secretary of the Agricultural Society, was an honorary member of the Board of Managers, and Secretary of the NYS Association of Town Fairs.
Harmon Hall, along with Benedict, Dobson, and Gordon Halls, is a dormitory complex that was designed to accommodate over 600 students. This three story tall dormitory is styled in a suite manner, with two bedrooms connected by a living room, and a bathroom shared by four student residents. Harmon Hall currently houses incoming transfer students.
Harrison Hall was built in 1967 and named after Henry Harrison, a member of the Board of Trustees from 1891-1935 and an active and influential supporter of the school.
Henry Harrison was one of the villages most distinguished citizens. He served as President of the Local Board of Managers for 44 years. From 1896-1898, he represented the 45th district in the State Senate and later was Collector of Customs in Rochester. Harrison also served as the chairperson of the Monroe County Draft Board during World War I, and was active in the Red Cross, University Club, and the Chamber of Commerce in Rochester.
Harrison Hall serves as a dining center for the high-rise dorms. This building is located on the western end of the campus and offers traditional meals on the second floor, and a snack food eatery called Trax on the first floor.
Construction on Hartwell Hall was inititated in 1938, and completed in 1941. This building is named after Ernest Hartwell (1884-1965), who was head of the school from 1936-1944. Hartwell Hall, a lovely Georgian Colonial style brick building, stands at the historic heart of the campus. It is the oldest building on campus after the Alumni House. When finished, it made up the entire school, including classrooms, offices, swimming pool, and library. As Hartwell Hall was being erected the old building was torn down in stages. At one point students in the old buildings training school wing reached the new building via a wooden gangplank one story up! During 1938-39, Ora Van Slyke's 4th grade class in the training school organized a "Sidewalk Superintendent's Club" which put together a book documenting the construction in word and picture. The book's depiction of stonemasons laying granite steps, roofers putting down copper sheeting and the like is a vivid reminder that the building really is something of which it can be said, "They don't make them like that anymore!"
In this photograph from the book, the students listen to the engineer explain how the construction would be done.
Hartwell Hall and the surrounding area were recently restored to provide more modern facilities, but it still retains its aesthetically historical feel. As a folklore note, it is reported that the building is inhabited by several ghosts! Aside from housing ghosts, Hartwell currently provides space for the English, Dance, Philosophy, and Recreation and Leisure departments.
Hazen Health Center was built in 1967 and named after Dr. John Hazen (?-1946), a local physician who served the college for many years up until 1946. This building remains today as the Health Center, and is located in between Holmes and Dailey Halls.
Holmes Hall was built in 1967 and named for Daniel and Mary Jane Holmes. Daniel Holmes (1828-?) was on the Board of Trustees form 1854 to 1919, and wrote the Quarter Centennial in celebration of the twenty-fifth anniversary of the Brockport State Normal School. His wife Mary Jane was a very popular fiction writer who catered to her female readers by writing wholesome stories dwelling on domestic life in exotic surroundings. These backgrounds were inspired by the extensive world traveling done by Mary Jane and her husband. As Brockport's solitary literary celebrity and because of her own forceful personality, Mrs. Holmes held a very special niche in the heart of the village.
Holmes Hall is home to the Psychology and Communications departments, and was the former hub for the Stylus student paper publication. This three level building holds offices, classrooms, and labs and is an important academic building for Brockport students.
Lathrop Hall was built in 1951 and served as the college union for eighteen years. It contained two large lounges, four meeting rooms of various sizes, two listening rooms, two guest rooms, a snack bar, a large dining room seating 250 people, a small dining room designed to seat 50, the offices for student publication, the alumni association office, and an apartment for the manager of the union. By the late sixties, the new Seymour Union facility was built to meet the growing enrollment of the student body. Lathrop has also served as the home to the Dance department, but today is the location of Public Safety.
Lathrop Hall was named after Henry Lathrop, a professor of mathematics at the college from 1912-1935. He came to Brockport as a Mathematics teacher, and eventually rose to the Head of that department, a position he occupied until his retirement in 1935. Mr. Lathrop was also advisor to the yearbook Saga staff, was active in civic affairs, and was a charter member of the Brockport Kiwanis club. Lathrop was fondly referred to as "Daddy Lathrop" by his students, and it is in his memory that Lathrop Hall stands.
Lennon Hall was built in 1964 and although currently closed due to renovations, is the permanent home of the science departments and holds many large classrooms and laboratories.
The building was named after William Lennon, a Science professor and Vice Principal of the school from 1869-1911. He graduated from Genesee College in Lima in 1867, and arrived in Brockport two years later as a professor of science. He succeeded to Vice Principal in 1882, and maintained that position until his retirement in 1911.
MacVicar Hall was built in 1961 and is set up in the traditional dorm style, with a single room shared by two students. This dorm houses freshman students only.
MacVicar Hall is named after Malcolm MacVicar, the head of the school from 1863-1868. Malcolm MacVicar was born in Argyleshire, Scotland, in 1829. He became Vice-President of the college upon his arrival in Brockport in 1858. Ordained as a Baptist minister in 1856, he found his true interest to be in education rather than preaching. He became the first president and "Professor of Moral and Intellectual Philosophy."
MacVicar became Principal of the Collegiate Institute in the spring of 1863, the last principal of the Collegiate Institute in 1866 and the first President of the successor Normal School. MacVicar lead the Brockport Collegiate Institute to victory in the fierce competition to become one of the four new state normal schools. The Normal Schools Act which established four Normal Schools was petitioned to the Legislature by Brockport under the activities of MacVicar. The Institute merged with the Normal School in 1866 because of the financial crisis that was threatening the institution's survival. The borrowing of money to upgrade the school to win state acceptance was a source of some local controversy, and he moved on the Principalship of Potsdam Normal School and other posts of academia.
McFarlane Hall was built in 1963 and named after Charles McFarlane, the head of the school from 1901-1910.
Charles T. McFarlane came to Brockport from a professorship of Geography at Ypsilanti. He was born in New Berlin, New York and received his education from the College of the City of New York and the New York Normal College in Albany. He did additional graduate work at the University of Vienna and at Harvard University, later receiving both master's and doctor's degrees in Pedagogy from the Michigan State Normal College. His ideology reflected a statewide movement to convert the liberal coursework to more strictly professional classes.
McFarlane Hall serves as a freshman dormitory and was designed in the traditional dorm style, with two students sharing a single room.
McLean Hall was built in 1959 and is a traditional styled dormitory that houses freshman students only. It was named after Charles McLean, a teacher and then principal of the school from 1865-1898.
Charles D. McLean was born in Ireland in 1834 of Scottish parentage. He was brought to New York in 1840 by his widowed mother and in 1856 he accepted a position as teacher at his old alma mater, and became vice principal two years later. In 1869, he became principal of the Normal School, a position he held for the next thirty years. In spite of his short stature and slight build, President McLean was an athlete and hero to most of the student athletes at the school. Professor McLean was generous in extending financial aid to students. He was both a rigid disciplinarian and a skillful teacher, especially in Mathematics and Pedagogy. Admired by his faculty and respected by his students, McLean was the dominant figure to the academic life of the school during his tenure as principal.
Morgan Hall was built in 1951 and served as a dormitory before undergoing recent renovations. Today it is home to International Education. Morgan Hall was named after a prominent local business person, Gifford Morgan, who was also the head of the Board of Trustees in the 1920s and 1930s.
Gifford Morgan succeeded Herbert Bramley as President of the Board. He endorsed Dr. Ernest C. Hartwell as the president of the Brockport State Normal School and enthusiastically supported the "Recommended Minimum Standards as a basis of Granting Degrees by the Normal Schools." This included eight minimum standards that continue to exist within the SUNY system.
Mortimer Hall was built in 1970 and is part of the high rise dorm complex that serves the upperclassmen. It is made up of two and three bedroom suites with study areas and kitchen facilities on each floor. There is also a student health club located in this dormitory.
Mortimer Hall was named after Mary Mortimer, an English immigrant and orphan who was the head of the "female department" of Brockport in the 1840s. She was born in England in 1816 and was brought to this country while still a young child. At age 13, she was orphaned by the sudden death of her parents. Miss Mortimer, along with her good friend Clarissa Thurston, served as the first preceptresses of the Female Department. Mortimer's deeply religious nature colored all of her teaching and her conviction that women were as educable as men was evidenced during her Brockport years. She later founded the Milwaukee Female Seminary.
Neff Hall was built in 1951 and named after Grace Neff, a first grade teacher critic at the campus demonstration school form 1912-1943. Grace Neff was a graduate of the former State Normal School at Geneseo and also studied at Columbia University.
Perry Hall was built in 1968 and is part of the highrise dormitory complex that also includes Mortimer, Briggs, and Bramley. Upperclassmen dwell in this suite-styled living environment, which has 207 spaces.
Perry Hall was named after Charles Perry, the head of the education and rural school department form 1910-1937. Charles F. Perry was born in 1878 and graduated from the former State Normal School at Brockport and later graduated Cum Laude from Amherst College in Massachusetts.
The Rakov Center was built in 1961 and named after Harold Rakov, a professor of Political Science and an administrator from 1949-1984. This building originally served as the campus library, but in 1973 began functioning as the hub for student services like Registration and Records, Academic Advisement, Admissions, Financial Aid, and the Bursar's Office.
Harold L. Rakov was born in Syracuse, New York. Dr. Rakov attended Oswego Normal School and received his baccalaureate and doctoral degrees from Syracuse University. Prior to beginning his career at Brockport, he taught at both the junior high and collegiate levels in New York State. During his 33 years at the college, Dr. Rakov's many administrative positions included Director of Admissions, Dean of Students, Director of Graduate Studies, Acting Dean of the College, Associate Dean for Academic Affairs and Vice President for Student Affairs. However, Dr. Rakov is best remembered for his love of teaching. As a professor, Chairman and Professor Emeritus of Political Science, Dr. Rakov made a lasting difference in the lives of thousands of students, providing motivation, inspiration and challenges. In the words of Dr. Rakov, "if I could write my own epitaph, it would simply be...He was useful. He was useful to people, to the college and to the educational system."
The Seymour Union was built in 1969 at a cost of $4,000,000 and is the location of the college union. Seymour Union holds the Barnes and Nobles Bookstore, a commuter's cafeteria, study areas, the BSG (Brockport Student Government) Offices, the WBSU campus radio station, the ballroom, campus event box office, ATM machine, Women's Center and other clubs, and the Stylus newspaper.
The Seymour College Union was named after the Seymour brothers, James and William. James was co-founder of Brockport and William was a well-known inventor of agricultural machinery and a member of the Board of Trustees. As a young man, James moved from Connecticut to Pompey, New York where he served an apprenticeship under his first cousin, Henry Seymour. James moved to Rochester when the newly organized county of Monroe appointed him Sheriff in 1820 and later moved to Michigan.
His brother William, who had been employed by James in Clarkson and Brockport, continued the family mercantile business until 1844. Thereafter, he became involved in an iron foundry and agricultural machine manufacturing until his retirement in 1877.
Smith Hall was built in 1967 and is a science building, housing Earth Sciences, Chemistry, Biology, and Physics.
Smith Hall was named after David Smith, who headed the school from 1898-1901. Dr. David Eugene Smith succeeded McLean as President, having been selected from a long list of possible candidates. He was born and raised in Cortland, New York and received his Doctorate of Philosophy degree at Syracuse University in 1887. He wanted to establish a close working relationship between the alumni, faculty and students. Dr. Smith studied law in his father's office and was admitted to the bar in 1884. He chose to be a professor of mathematics at Ypsilanti instead. Dr. Smith produced 500 publications, including over 50 textbooks. He arrived in Brockport in 1898 and stayed until 1901. Smith pushed for the expansion of the practice school and fought many a battle with the state over what he saw as inadequate funding. Frustrated by the lack of state support, he left to take a position at Columbia.
Thompson Conference Center was built in 1958 and is home to freshmen, graduate, adult, and international students. The building also contains a conference center for the occasional meeting.
It was named after Alfred Thomspon, principal of the school from 1910-1936. Thompson was born in Norwich, Connecticut in 1867 and was educated at Yale University. He was superintendent of schools in Auburn, NY before coming to the Brockport Normal School in 1910. Thompson was a well respected and highly honored member of the faculty and more than 2,000 graduates received their diplomas from his hands.
The Tower Fine Arts Center was built in 1968 and is the location for the Art, Art History, and Theater departments. The Tower has many art studios, galleries, classrooms, photography laboratories, and a theater for student productions.
It was named after Donald Tower, President of the college from 1944-1964. Dr. Tower was interested in drama, and wrote a series of drama workbooks.
Tuttle was built in two stages, in 1962 and 1973 and named after Ernest Tuttle, the first director of the Physical Education and Health program, started here in 1945. The Tuttle Complex holds an ice hockey rink, several gymnasiums, classrooms, offices, pools, exercise facilities, and racquetball courts.
Ernest Tuttle was a graduate of Springfield College and had an M.A. from the University of Rochester. He originally taught at Brockport Central High School for four years, before coming to the Normal school in 1937. He taught Physical Education classes and eventually became the Director of the Department in 1945. Tuttle retained that position until his resignation due to health in 1964.
This Victorian era home was built in the 1860s and bought by the state in 1898 for use as a residence by the principal. Before the house was bought, the principals had lived in an apartment in the school building. David Smith was the first principal to live in the house, and the last was Donald Tower who retired in 1964. In a collection of reminiscences of the house published in the AlumNews in 1985 the following memories were shared. Mrs. Clyde Walters, class of 1918, recalled her friendship with Principal Thompsons daughter Miriam and attending Miriam's wedding which was held in the house. Mrs. Fletcher Garlock, granddaughter of Thompson, mentioned that she was born in the house and remembered rollerskating in the kitchen! Both Wilbur McCormick '37 and Bruce Schlageter '47 recalled as undergraduates visiting with Dr. Hartwell in the house to chat about school affairs. After 1964 the building was used for office space and other purposes until in 1976 the Alumni Association acquired the building. The house has been restored and is the site of many alumni and community functions.
The Quonset hut science laboratory in 1954.
The odd Quonset hut structure pictured above was located near Hartwell Hall, by the railroad tracks where now there is a parking lot. Many stories circulate about the poor heat in the building and, in those days when trains ran much more frequently, the deafening noise every time a train went by!
There was a group of temporary buildings placed on the campus during the 1940s to 1950s, which provided not only space for classes and other uses, but many memories as well for alumni and staff emeriti! They included West Hall, a dorm for women, veterans housing, the above Quonset huts and of course the field house (which is the last survivor - it was used for an indoor athletic practice area until 1970, when it was moved from its location where Allen is now to its current site across Redman Road.)
The field house in 1973, jacked up and waiting to be moved across Redman Road.
Chess Club, 1950s
Poetry Out Loud Recitation Competition
6 pm - 8 pm
American Democracy Project Lecture: Janet Poppendieck
5 pm - 5:45 pm