Title: Professor and Chair, School of Business Administration and Economics
- Principles of Finance
- Corporate Finance Policy
- Strategic Management
- Corporate Finance – Graduate Level
- PhD 1994 SUNY Buffalo: Management and Finance
- MBA 1982 University of Rochester: Finance
- BSc (Honours) University of Bombay: Microbiology and Chemistry
- American Council on Education (ACE) Leadership Academy for Department Chairs, 2012
- GRONEN (Group on Organizations and Natural Environment), Euromed, France, 2012
- Alliance for Research on Corporate Sustainability, Yale University (2012), Harvard Business School (2010)
- China Goes Global, Harvard Kennedy School (2008-2011)
- Art and Craft of Discussion Leadership, Harvard Business School, 2009
- Faculty Development in International Business, U. of South Carolina, 2001
- Master Teacher's Program, Georgia State University, 2000
- Business, Ethics and Religion, Yale University, 2000
- Corporate executive and director compensation and corporate governance
- Strategic environmental management (US, China, Argentina, UK)
- Corporate environmental performance measurement and management
- Corporate social responsibility, business ethics
Awards and Distinctions:
- Appointed to Editorial Board, Strategic Management Journal (Wiley). 2009.
- Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) Fellowship (UK): Visiting Scholar, BRASS Institute, Cardiff University (Summer 2008)
- European Commission Erasmus Mundus MESPOM Fellowship (2009)
- Appointed to Editorial Board, Management Research News (Emerald Publishers), 2006.
- '"Why do some firms link environmental performance to executive compensation? Does it matter? " (with J. Sarkis) published in the Best Papers Proceedings of the Academy of Management 2007.
SUNY Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Teaching, 2004.
- Elected Fellow, Corporate Governance Institute, Kennesaw State University, Atlanta, GA, 1997 – present
- Nominated to Executive Committee, Business Policy and Strategy Division, Academy of Management, 1997
- Inducted into Phi Beta Delta, Honors Society in International Studies, 1998
- Nominated for Dorothy Harlow Award, Women in Management Division, Academy of Management, 1995
- Scholarly Incentive Award, SUNY at Brockport, 1995, 1996, 1997, 2000
- Technology Grant, 2006
- "Industry Discretion as a Determinant of Executive Compensation: A Multilevel Analysis" with N. Rajagopalan, published in the Best Papers Proceedings, Academy of Management National Meetings, Organization Management and Theory Division, 2003
- "Role of Director Interlocks, Governance and Management Incentives in Explaining Stockholder Gains from Joint Ventures" published in the Best Papers Proceedings, Academy of Management National Meetings, Business Policy and Strategy Division, 1993
- "Role of Diversity, Incentives and Governance in explaining Shareholder Wealth Effects of Corporate Restructuring: A study of Spin-offs" (with S. Rajagopalan, SUNY at Buffalo). Invited paper at the conference on Corporate Restructuring associated with the special issue of Strategic Management Journal and held at the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania, September 24-26, 1993
- "Governance, Incentives and Board Interlocks as predictors of Wealth Creation from Joint Ventures," won first place in the 1992 James Boness Competition for best doctoral paper in finance at SUNY at Buffalo
- State University of New York at Buffalo, graduated summa cum laude University of Bombay, Bombay, India, St. Xavier's College, graduated with honors
- (with L. He, M. Conyon, and T. Shaw) "Asymmetric pay for performance for Chinese Top Executives". European Journal of Finance (Special Issue Conference on the Chinese Capital Market).
- (with L.He, T.S. Shaw, M. Conyon) "Evidence on the Use and Weighting of Performance Measures in Chinese Top Management Contracts" Asia Pacific Journal of Management, 2013.
- (with Q. Zhu and J. Sarkis) "Institutional Pressures, Dynamic Capabilities and Environmental Management Systems: Investigating the ISO 9000 – Environmental Management System Implementation Linkage". Journal of Environmental Management (forthcoming 2013).
- (with J. Sarkis) "Ecological Modernization in the Electrical Utility industry: An application of a Bads–Goods DEA model of Ecological and Technical efficiency," European Journal of Operational Research, 219(2): 386-395, 2012.
- (with J. Sarkis and Q. Zhu) "International and Domestic Pressures and Responses of Chinese Firms to Greening," Ecological Economics 83 (Nov): 144-153, 2012.
- (with J. Sarkis, D. Vazquez-Brust, L. Frater, J. Dijkshoorn) "An Evaluation of Technical Efficiency and Managerial Correlates of Solid Waste Management by Welsh SMEs using Parametric and Non-Parametric Techniques," Journal of the Operational Research Society, 63 (5): 653-664, 2011.
- (with T.S. Shaw) "CEO Survival and Industry Discretion: An Application of Agency and Job Matching Theories," Best Papers Proceedings of the Academy of Management, 2010.
- (with J. Sarkis and Q. Zhu) "International and Domestic Pressures and Chinese Organizational Responses to Greening," Best Papers Proceedings of the Academy of Management, 2009. Winner of the SKOLKOVO Best paper award for research on emerging markets, Academy of Management.
- (with J. Sarkis) A Data Envelopment Analysis Model of Win-Win Opportunities in the Electric Utility Industry, Journal of the Operational Research Society, (forthcoming 2010)
- (with J. Sarkis) Explicit Contracting as a Determinant of the Linkage between Environmental Performance and Executive Compensation, Business Strategy and the Environment, Vol. 17, No. 5, pp. 304-317, 2008.
- (with J. Sarkis, Q. Zhu, and M. Lai) "Firm-level Predictors of Emergent Green Supply Chain Management Practices in the Chinese context," Omega – the International Journal of Management Science (2007 Special Issue on Logistics: New Perspectives and Challenges),Vol 36, Issue 4, August 2008, pp 577-591
- (with R. Veliyath, J. Romal) "Moderators of the Relationship between Director Stock-based Compensation and Firm Performance," Corporate Governance – An International Review,Vol 15, Number 6, November 2007 , pp. 1384-1393
- (with J. Sarkis) '"Why do some firms link environmental performance to executive compensation? Does it matter?" Academy of Management 2007 Best Paper Proceedings.
- (With P. Mukherjee, D. Kent) "Non-parametric Assessment of CEO Compensation". Management Research News, Vol 29, No 5, 2006
- (With R. Veliyath, D. Neubaum) "Incentives for Monitors: Director Stock-Based Compensation and Firm Performance" Journal of Applied Business Research, Vol 21, 2 (81-90). 2005
- (With M. Waite and S. Stites-Doe) "Attitudinal and Behavioral Consequences of Removing Performance Appraisal and Merit Pay." Current Topics in Management, Vol. 8, 2003.
- (With N. Rajagopalan) "Industry Discretion as a Determinant of Executive Compensation: A Multilevel Analysis," Best Papers Proceedings of the Academy of Management, 2003.
- (With R. Veliyath) "Beyond Pay for Performance: A Panel Investigation of the Impact of Stategic and Governance Variables on CEO Compensation in US Firms," American Business Review, forthcoming, 2002.
- (With J. Sarkis) "An Empirical Evaluation of Environmental Efficiencies and Firm Performance: Pollution Prevention Versus End-of-Pipe Practice," European Journal of Operational Research, Vol. 14, 2001, pp. 1 - 12.
- (With R. Veliyath) "New Evidence on the Structuring of CEO Incentive Pay Ratios," The Journal of Applied Business Research, Vol. 17, No. 1, 2001, pp. 95 – 106.
- (With D. Kent) "Do EVA Adopters Outperform Their Industry Peers? Evidence from Security Analysts Earnings Forecasts," American Business Review. June 2001.
- (With E. Eramus and R. Veliyath) "An Empirical Investigation of the Determinants of Outside Director Compensation," Corporate Governance: An International Review, Vol. 8, No. 3, 2000, pp. 268-279.
- (With R. Rakesh, R.C. Yadav, J. Sarkis) " The Strategic Implications of Flexibility in Manufacturing Systems," International Journal of Agile Management Systems, Vol. 2, No. 3, 2000, pp. 202 – 213.
- (With S. Stites-Doe) "An Empirical Assessment of Bank Branch Manager Compensation," Journal of Applied Business Research, Vol. 15, No. 4, 1999, pp. 55 – 66.
- (With S. Stites-Doe, J. Mason and C. Wang) "The Diffusion of Automated Teller Machines in the U.S., 1973 – 1994: Implications for Bank Productivity," The Journal of Engineering Valuation and Cost Analysis, (special issue on Information Technology and Productivity), Vol. 1, 1998, pp. 183 – 193.
- (With J. Sarkis) "Environmental Proactivism and Firm Performance: Evidence from Security Analyst Earnings Forecasts," Business Strategy and the Environment, Vol. 6, 1997, pp. 104 – 114.
- (With R. Sambharya) "Do Corporate Reputations Influence Security Analyst Earnings Forecasts?" Corporate Reputation Review, Vol. 1, No. 2, 1997, pp. 94 – 98.
- (With S. Stites-Doe) "The Impact of Women Managers on Firm Performance: Evidence from Large U.S. Firms," International Review of Women and Leadership, Vol. 3, No. 1, 1997, pp. 1 – 0.
office phone: (585) 395-5793
office location: 115B Hartwell Hall
Last Updated 2/7/14