- Principles of Finance
- International Business Environment
- Investment Analysis
- Seminar in Finance
- PhD 1992 Finance, Supporting Field: International Business, Kent State University
- MBA 1988 Finance, Kent State University
- MBA 1983 Business, University of Allahabad, India
- BCom1981 Business, University of Allahabad, India
- 1995 Chartered Financial Analyst
- Asset Allocation, International Investments
- Mutual Funds, Performance Evaluation
- Retirement Withdrawals and Derivative Securities
Awards and Distinctions:
- (With J. Spitzer) Arthur N. Caples Award for Excellent Paper onRetirement Research. 2008.
- SUNY Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Teaching, 2005.
- National Science Foundation, Course Curriculum and Laboratory Improvement Grant for 28,000, 1999 – 2002. Co-PI.
- (With J. Spitzer) Outstanding Paper Award to "The Fallacy of Cookie Cutter Asset Allocation: Some Evidence from State Sponsored Education Savings Programs," presented at the 2000 Annual Meeting of the Academy of Financial Services. There was $1000 cash award.
- (With J. Spitzer) The Certified Financial Planner Board of Examiners Award for best published research to "The Fallacy of Cookie Cutter Asset Allocation: Some Evidence from State Sponsored Education Savings Programs," for the Year 2002. There was $1000 cash award.
- UUP Faculty Development Award, Fall 1993, Fall 1994 and Fall 1998.
- UUP Scholarly Incentive Award, Spring 1995, Fall 1996, Fall 1997 and Spring 1999.
- (With J. Spitzer) "Assessing the effectiveness of lifecycle (target-date) funds during the accumulation phase," 2011, 20, 4, 327-341.
- (With J. Spitzer) "Shortfall Risk of Target-Date Funds during Retirement, Financial Services Review," 2008, 17, 143-153. (Paper was awarded the Arthur N. Caples Foundation Award for Outstanding Retirement Research.)
- (With J. Spitzer & J. Strieter) "Adaptive Withdrawals, Journal of Investing," 2008, 17, 2, 104-113.
- (With J. Spitzer & J. Strieter) "Guidelines for Withdrawal Rates and Portfolio Safety During Retirement, Journal of Financial Planning," 2007, 20, 10, 52-59. The paper was also abstracted in the CFA Digest.
- (With J. Spitzer) "Is Rebalancing a Portfolio During Retirement Necessary? Journal of Financial Planning 2007, 20, 6, 46-57.
- (With J. Spitzer) "Retirement Payout Longevity and Sequence of Withdrawals, Journal of Financial Planning," 2006, 19, 4, 52-61.
- (With Jeffery C. Strieter) "The Determinants of Acquisition of Outside Investment Management Service Providers in Public and Corporate Pension Plans and Endowments," International Journal of Bank Marketing, Vol. 23, No. 3, 2005, 218-236.
- (With J. Spitzer) "The Pay Down or Prepayment of a Home Mortgage (Co-author: Dr. John Spitzer)," Journal of Financial Service Professionals, Vol. 58, No. 6, 2004, 78-83.
- (With J. Spitzer) "Asset Allocation in the Presence of Varying Returns, Different Contribution Schemes, and Multiple Investment Horizons: A Monte Carlo Study (Co-author: Dr. John Spitzer)." Journal of Financial Planning, Vol. 16, No. 4, 2003, 62-73.
- (With J. Spitzer) "The Fallacy of Cookie Cutter Asset Allocation: Some Evidence from State Sponsored Education Savings Programs," Financial Services Review, Vol. 10, No. 4, 2001, 101-116. (An earlier version of the paper was awarded the Outstanding Paper Award at the Annual Meeting of the Academy of Financial Services and the published version was awarded the CFP Board of Examiners Award for outstanding published research for the 2002.)
- (With J. Strieter) "The Acquisition of Outside Portfolio Management Services," Journal of Pension Planning and Compliance, 2001, 27, 1, 40-57.
- (With J. Spitzer) "Optimizing Retirement Savings," The Journal of Wealth Management, Vol. 3, No. 3, Winter 2000, pp. 39 – 44.
- (With R. Fenton and J. Gardner) "Rethinking Cuts in Public Higher Education: An American Example," Education Economics, 2000, Vol. 9, No. 1, pp. 53 – 68.
- (With J. Spitzer) "The Rule of 72," Financial Counseling and Planning, Vol. 10, No. 1, 1999, pp. 89 – 91.(With W. Dresnack) "Six Steps to a Viable Derivatives Policy for Treasury Management," AFP Exchange, November - December 1999, pp. 74 – 80.
- (With W. Dresnack), "A Derivatives Policy Framework for Manufacturing Firms," The American Business Review, Vol. 17, No. 2, summer 1999, pp. 86 - 95.*
- (With R. Fenton), "A Contingent Claim Approach to Significantly Reducing Taxpayer Assisted Transactions in Federal Deposit Insurance," The Journal of Private Enterprise,Volume 13, No. 2, 1998, pp. 106-123.
- (With W.Dresnack), "Market Knowledge in Managed Municipal Bond Portfolios," reprinted in The Financial Economics Network, May 21, 1998, (An on-line journal http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/search.taf).
- (With W.Dresnack), "Market Knowledge in Managed Municipal Bond Portfolios," Financial Services Review, Vol. 6, No. 3, 1997, pp. 185-196.
- (With R. Shukla), "A Performance Evaluation of Global Equity Mutual Funds: Evidence from 1988-1995," The Global Finance Journal, Vol. 8, No. 2, 1997, pp. 279-293.
- (With R. Shukla), "Are CFA Charterholders Better Equity Fund Managers?" The Financial Analysts Journal, Vol. 50, No. 6, 1994, pp. 68-74. [RJ] The paper was reviewed in national newspapers like the New York Times, Arizona Republic, Los Angeles Times and the Cleveland Plain Dealer.
Books/Chapters in Books:
- Invited chapter entitled "Target Date Mutual Funds," (Co-author: Dr. John J. Spitzer) in Consumer Knowledge and Financial Decisions: Lifespan Perspectives, Douglas Lamdin, Editor, Springer, Business + Media. 2012, 17, 269-283.
- Chapter entitled "Microeconomics," part of the Claritas certification sponsored by the CFA Institute, co-authors: Michael J. Buckle, James Seaton and Stephen Thomas, May 2013.
- Invited chapter entitled "Competition and Cooperation in Partnership Arrangements in Financial Services," (Co-author: Dr. Joon Seo) in Routledge Companion to Financial Services Marketing , Tina Harrison & Hooman Estelami , Taylor and Francis LLC, Florence, KY.
- (With J. Spitzer) "Withdrawals during Retirement," (Co-author: Dr. John Spitzer), Conference Proceedings of the Annual Meeting of the Academy of Financial Services, New Orleans, LA, October 7, 2004.
- (With J. Strieter) "The Determinants of Acquisition of Outside Investment Management Service Providers in Public and Corporate Pension Plans and Endowments." Refereed Proceedings of the Academy of Marketing Science, 1999, Vol. XXII, 1999, 181-185.
- (With J. Cordeiro) "Wealth Effects of Joint Venture Announcements of U.S. Companies: Some Evidence from South-East Asian Alliances and Indian Sub-Continent Alliances," Proceedings at the Conference on Joint Ventures in East Asia, Bangkok, Thailand, 1993.
- "Multiple Option Facilities (MOFs): The New Wave in International Syndicated Credit," Proceedings of the 1989 Conference of the Association for Global Business. New Orleans, LA, November 1989.
- "Is Cash King?" AFP Exchange, Spring 2000, 32-39. (Co-author: Professor Gary Briggs).
- (By E. Maug), "Large Shareholders as Monitors: Is There a Trade-off between Liquidity and Control?" Abstract printed in the Contemporary Finance Digest, Vol. 2, No. 3, 1998, pp. 39 – 42.
- (By R. Wermers), "Mutual Fund Herding and the Impact on Stock Prices." Abstract printed in the Contemporary Finance Digest, Vol. 2, No. 4, 1998, pp. 76 – 78.
- "Simulated Portfolios in a Limited Resource Environment: A Pedagogical Exposition," Journal of Private Enterprise, Vol. 12, No. 2, 1996, pp. 180-181.
office phone: (585) 395-5519
office location: 113B Hartwell Hall
Last Updated 1/29/14