There was an error:
could not find program info
Science Inclusive Major (Certification)
*NOTE: There are changes pending to the Adolescence Inclusive Programs based on New York State Education Department mandates. Please visit the department's web page for up-to-date
requirements. Education Department's Web Page
Admission to the Program
Admission to this program requires a separate application and completion of at least 12-15 credits in the major (biology, chemistry, earth science, physics) at the time of application.
Students in a science major pursue a Bachelor of Science degree, and must complete the corresponding degree's requirements.
In addition to the course requirements below, students must meet the following requirements:
- General Education Requirements: Teacher candidates must meet the General Education requirements in effect at the time of matriculation.
- Pre-professional Preparation: Academic Major - Students must formally declare a major in one of the following sciences: biology, chemistry, earth science or physics and successfully complete all requirements for the major, described under the listing for the Department: Biology, Chemistry, Earth Science, Physics.
- Foreign Language, PSH 484, and PRO 370 require a minimum grade of "C."
- All EDI courses require a minimum grade of "C+."
- Foreign Language - one year of college-level study in a language other than English at 112 level* (3-6 credits)
- ENG 112*
- EDI 447 Inclusive Middle Level Teaching in Science**
- EDI 431 Language Skills in Middle and High School Content Area I
- EDI 413 Introduction to Special Education*
- PSH 484 Adolescence*
- PRO 370 Health and Drug Education for Teacher Candidates* (1 credit)
Total Number of Credits for Phase 1: 16-19
- EDI 467 Teaching Science Inclusively**
- EDI 430 Education and Society (Once accepted can be completed in any phase prior to Phase 4)
- EDI 432 Language Skills in the Middle and High School Content Areas II
Total Number of Credits for Phase 1: 9
- EDI 414 Methods in Special Education**
- EDI 419 Assessment in Special Education
Total Number of Credits: 6
*NOTE: All professional preparation courses in Phases 1-3 must be successfully completed prior to student teaching.
Phase 4 (Professional Preparation: Student Teaching with Seminar)
- EDI 475 Practicum in Inclusive Adolescence Education and Seminar (12 Credits)
*May be taken prior to program acceptance.
**50-hour field experience beyond class time is required for this course. Teacher candidates are responsible for their own transportation for all off-campus field expereiences, including student teaching.
Total Number of Credits: 12