The Office of College Communications offers internship experiences for College at Brockport students in marketing, public relations, social media, video and web. Undergraduate students may earn credits, while working one-on-one with a professional staff member on real-world projects. Each internship is directed around the students' career goals. This opportunity is ideal for students who enjoy all aspects of communication.
There are limited spots available each semester and during the summer, so the earlier you contact us for availability, the better your chances are to get an interview.
For more information on available internships in the Office of College Communications (marketing, public relations, social media, video and web), please contact Janet Roy at (585) 395-2267 or email@example.com. Please contact Career Services at (585) 395-2159 for all other inquiries.
- Complete an interview with the internship supervisor.
- Once an offer is made for the internship, the student must register for a BCEC course through Career Services or their academic department.
- Undergraduate students must have junior or senior status.
- Appropriate office attire is required.
- Students must possess proficiency with Microsoft Office products and/or appropriate software and equipment required for the internship.
There are five types of internships available:
Marketing/Public Relations Focus
- Write for brochures, press releases, articles and other promotional materials
- Monitor and write for social media outlets
- Participate in client meetings
- Assist in the planning of press conferences
- Assist in the planning of photo shoots
- Conduct interviews
- Learn about the creative process of copywriting and design
- Learn about advertising techniques
- Develop editing skills
- Hone grammar skills
- Develop teamwork skills
- Photograph campus events such as news conferences, ceremonies and student and faculty activities
- Set up and photograph portraits
- Us Photoshop to prepare photographs for publication in print and online
- Catalog photography
- Develop online photo galleries
Social Media Focus
- Write content for the College's social media venues (Facebook, Twitter, etc.)
- Monitor social media traffic
- Develop promotional campaigns for social media
- Videotape campus events such as lectures, ceremonies, sports, etc.
- Develop script writing skills
- Hone editing skills
- Work with Final Cut Pro and other editing software to produce videos
Web Design Focus
- Assist in development and maintenance of the College's Web pages
- Hone Dreamweaver and Content Management Skills (Omni Update)
- Advise Communication staff about design issues
- Help increase the College's social media footprint
Last Updated 7/22/13