Skip Navigation

Brockport / Graduate School / Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

May I take graduate courses at The College at Brockport before I apply for degree seeking admission?

Answer: You may take courses as a non-degree student before applying for a degree program. To avoid any disappointments, we strongly recommend that you discuss your plans with the appropriate department before taking any courses.  If the course(s) are appropriate for the degree program you've selected, you may be able to apply up to twelve (12) credits earned as a non-matriculated student (a student who is not currently enrolled in a degree program) toward a graduate degree. Credits are approved at the discretion of each individual academic department.

How many credits can I transfer into a graduate program at Brockport?

Answer: Twelve is the maximum number of credits that may be transferred into a master's degree program at Brockport from another accredited institution. 

Each course transferred must have been completed with a grade of B (3.0) or higher. Approval of transfer credit is the responsibility of the faculty of the department/program which supervises the graduate program, and the dean of the appropriate school.

Can my referee send a letter of recommendation directly to Brockport?

Answer: The Graduate School utilizes an online application process.  The applicant will receive an email confirmation that may be forwarded to the recommender.  In the subject line of the email, please enter 'Recommendation for' followed by the applicant's full name.  Note that the recommender should be able to speak to your academic and/or professional qualities and experiences.  Personal references are discouraged and credential files are not accepted.

Does Brockport offer graduate courses off campus?

Answer: Yes. Many graduate-level courses under the School of Education and Human Services are currently offered to students at the MetroCenter in Rochester, NY, including Counselor Education, Educational Administration, Education and Human Development, Public Administration, and Social Work. View our course schedule for a complete listing.

What is considered full-time study?

Answer: Generally, a minimum of 12 credits is considered full-time. Graduate Assistants whose graduate assistantship is directly related to their educational program (e.g., when the assistantship is within their academic department) may take a minimum of nine (9) credit hours.

How many credits are considered part time?

Answer: Anything less than nine (9) credit hours is considered part time. For financial aid, part time is 6 – 11.5 credit hours.

If I graduated from The College at Brockport, do I have to submit an official transcript?

Answer: No. Upon receipt of your application for admission, the Graduate Admissions Office will obtain your transcript from the Registrar's Office for use in your graduate file.

Do I have to pay the application fee?

Answer: Yes. The application fee is a non-refundable processing fee required of all applicants unless the applicant was in an EOP, HEOP, CSTEP or McNair program as an undergraduate student. Verification of enrollment in one of these programs is required and should be submitted to The Graduate School, after the applicant has submitted Part I. In addition, the applicant will need to follow up with an email to with the following information: Web ID, phone number, program and semester applicant is applying to. 

If a program requires NYS certification, the applicant is responsible for submitting payment for the remaining $30.

Is campus employment available?

Answer: Yes. Career Services assist students in locating part-time and summer jobs through various programs, both on campus and with employers in the community.

On-campus employment opportunities include part-time positions with various campus offices. A complete listing of on-campus employment is available on the Career Services website.

A student must be currently enrolled at The College at Brockport on at least a part-time basis to use the services of the Student Employment Office. Demonstration of financial need is not required.

Is campus housing available for graduate students?

Answer: Ample off-campus housing is available to graduate students in the local community.

How long do I have to complete my degree?

Answer: Five (5) years for all programs of study except Public Administration and Mental Health Counseling. Public Administration and Mental Health Counseling allow seven (7) years for you to complete the degree.

How can I receive more information?

Answer: Stay in contact with us by joining our e-mail list. 

Is child care provided on campus?

Answer: Yes. The College at Brockport Child Care Center offers a variety of full-time and part-time enrollment options.

Open year-round, the center is licensed to provide developmentally appropriate early care and education for children between the ages of six weeks and five years. The center is accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC).

Financial FAQs

When do I pay for my classes?

Answer: If you register on the Web (matriculated students only), you will be billed. If you are utilizing the in-person registration system, we need payment at the time of registration.

How much is tuition?

Please review our Costs & Financial Information page.

When does my financial aid come in?

All questions pertaining to financial aid should be addressed to the Financial Aid Office.

Why is there an extra cost to take the payment plan?

You are paying for a service to maintain and track payments. This service costs $35 every semester you use the payment plan.

As a non-matriculated student am I eligible for financial aid?

Non-matriculated students are not eligible for financial aid.

Still Have Questions?

If you still have questions, please contact us at

Last Updated 8/21/14