The Department of Educational Administration offers two Certificates of Advanced Study (CAS):
CAS in Educational Administration
- An earned master’s degree is required for entrance into this program that prepares individuals to be instructional leaders in school buildings and district offices.
- Candidates who complete the program’s educational requirements and successfully pass the School District Leader (SDL) leadership assessment administered by the New York State Education Department (NYSED) are awarded the CAS in Educational Administration.
- This CAS provides eligibility to successful candidates for the School Building Leader (SBL) and School District Leader (SDL) administrative certifications issued by the NYSED.
CAS in School Business Administration
- Students entering the School Business Administration program without an earned master’s degree may earn the master’s degree as part of this program.
- This program is designed specifically for candidates seeking school district business positions.
- Candidates who complete the SBA Program and successfully pass the School District Business Leader (SDBL) leadership assessment administered by the NYSED are awarded the CAS in School Business Administration and are then eligible to apply for the School District Business Leader (SDBL) certification issued by the NYSED.
Both CAS programs require practicum and internship experience.
- Master’s degree from an accredited college or university, unless earning the master’s degree as part of the CAS in School Business Administration
- Minimum 3.0 GPA
- One letter of recommendation
- One year teaching experience required for the School Building/District Leader Program
- July 15 for the fall semester
- November 15 for the spring semester
- Doctoral Study
- Public school district leadership positions.
- SBL is required by NYS for principal, vice principal, department chair, and grade-level coordinator positions.
- Superintendents, assistant superintendents, and numerous other central office administrative positions require the SDL certification.
- School business administrators and assistant superintendents for business require the SDBL certification
For complete information about the Graduate Programs in Educational Administration visit
Last Updated 8/21/14