The Master of Science in Physical Education programs emphasize excellence in teaching, scholarship, creative endeavors, and service to community. Faculty are committed to providing programs that prepare professionals who are highly qualified teachers, coaches, leaders, and administrators in physical education and sport. The graduate physical education program offers three courses of study:
Master of Science in Education – Adapted Physical Education
Master of Science in Education – Athletic Administration
Master of Science in Education – Teacher Education Pedagogy
For individuals who hold an initial certificate in physical education, successful completion of any of the three master’s degree tracks will satisfy the master’s degree requirement for New York State Professional Certification.
- Students must complete 30 credits of graduate work for any of the master’s degree options.
- Students for each master’s program may elect to complete a synthesis project or a thesis on an approved topic.
- Baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university
- Minimum undergraduate GPA 3.0
- Applicants pursuing professional certification to teach physical education must provide evidence of an initial teaching certificate in physical education
- Statement of objectives
Adapted Physical Education with Certification, Athletic Administration with Certification and Teacher Education Pedagogy Only. SUNY has adopted a new admission requirement for teacher preparation programs effective fall 2015. Anyone applying to the fall 2015 semester and beyond must take and submit scores for either the GRE or Miller Analogies Test (MAT) to be considered for admission. Please contact Michael Harrison at: firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or to discuss your options.
- April 15 for the summer or fall semester
- November 15 for the spring semester
Graduates are employed in several states and countries throughout the world in some of the following positions:
- Physical Education Teachers
- Physical Educators Teaching Inclusive Physical Education
- Adapted Physical Education Specialists in Schools and Agencies
- Physical Education Consultants
- Supervisors or Administrators in School Districts or Agencies
- Faculty in Higher Education
- Athletic Directors
- Sports Information Directors
- Sports Promoters and Fundraisers
For complete information about the Master of Science in Education in Physical Education visit
Last Updated 2/20/15