In your final semester in the program, you should expect to enroll in HST 700: Historical Integration, a three-credit course designed as an integrative capstone experience for your MA work. Satisfactory performance in the Integrative Essay is a requirement for graduation for students selecting this option.
- The integrative essay is meant to help you bring together the various strands of your graduate work through a larger question. The question/s you and your committee choose should reflect your course work with added reading to help fill in the gaps in your knowledge base. The final essay should be 30+pages in length and fulfill the style and citation requirements of the department.
- The integrative essay is capped off by an oral examination by the committee.
- The integrative essay is graded. A “B” is necessary to pass and to fulfill the requirements of the MA program.
EXPECTATIONS for History 700 (Integrative Essay)
Student must fulfill the following:
- Ask two faculty to serve on your committee who are appropriate for your topic (if you do not know who to ask please ask the graduate director for advice).
- Present them with possible questions.
- Present them with a list of previously read books/articles in graduate classes that address this question
- Finalize this question with your first reader and present a revised and augmented bibliography.
- Meet regularly throughout the semester/summer with your first reader.
- Submit drafts (number specified by first reader) of the essay to the first reader.
- Submit a final draft to both readers in plenty of time for revisions prior to filing deadline.
Faculty readers must fulfill the following:
- The first reader must provide clear grading criteria in the contract.
- The first reader will help the student shape question/s, suggest added sources and approve of the final bibliography.
- The first reader will return drafts of the essay in time for the student to make revisions needed to graduate at an agreed date.
- The second reader will return final draft of the essay in time for the student to make revisions.
View and print the HST 700 contract
Last Updated 12/3/12