A continuing appointment shall be an appointment to a position of academic rank which shall not be affected by changes in such rank and shall continue until resignation, retirement, or termination.
- Part-time service does not count towards continuing appointment.
- Eligibility for continuing appointment - satisfactory full-time service in academic rank
- Employee must serve a total of seven years of full-time faculty service in the titles of Assistant Professor, Instructor, Senior Assistant Librarian in order to obtain continuing appointment in the titles of Assistant Professor, Instructor, Senior Assistant Librarian.
- Continuing appointment as Professor, Associate Professor, Librarian or Associate Librarian may be given by the Chancellor on initial appointment or thereafter. Employment as Professor, Associate Professor, Librarian or Associate Librarian must be on the basis of continuing appointment after the third consecutive year of service if the employee has not already obtained continuing appointment.
- An academic employee holding a continuing or term appointment at one college who is appointed to academic rank at another college may be given that appointment for a term not to exceed three years.
- Interruptions of the seven years to continuing appointment include: leaves at partial or no pay.
- Continuing Appointment is recommended by the college President to the Chancellor. The college issues a letter to the appointee indicating that the recommendation was made. The official letter confirming continuing appointment is issued directly to the appointee from the Chancellor; a copy of this letter is received by the Office of Human Resources and filed in the personnel file.