A temporary appointment shall be an appointment which may be terminated at any time.
Temporary appointments ordinarily shall be given only when:
- service is to be part-time
- or service is anticipated to be for a period of one year or less
- or when an employee’s initial appointment in the University is made to a position vacated by a professional employee who is serving a probationary appointment.
- A temporary appointment is also appropriate whenever a position has been vacated by an employee on an approved leave.
- A temporary appointment may only be granted for a period of one year or less. Term appointments must be given to a full-time UUP employee after one year.
- For new appointments, employees should generally be given a one year term appointment. In the event that a temporary appointment is necessary and the service is full-time, time in this temporary appointment may be counted towards continuing or permanent appointment depending on the budget title.
- Temporary appointments should be given to an appointee when refilling a position that was vacated by a current employee that was promoted to another position with a higher salary grade and title.
- Appointees can be temporary in a temporary service (TS) line number. Appointees can also be temporary on a permanent service regular (PSR) line number. Generally, for PSR positions, approval of this scenario is required. *See the Position Management Policy.
For appointment purposes, appointees on temporary appointments will automatically terminate from the payroll based on the payroll end date indicated on the appointment form. No additional appointment form is required to terminate such appointee unless the employee is to be extended. If the employee is extended, we will need an appointment submitted to the Office of Human Resources changing the employee to term. Additional documentation or approval may be necessary.