130 Brockport Athletic Committee Operating Code
- Policies and procedures will be recommended to support the educational
experiences enjoyed by student athletes and spectators.
- The Committee will conduct appropriate reviews and engage in such
other activities as will enable it to advise the campus President and
Director of Intercollegiate Athletics on such intercollegiate athletics
program matters as:
- Planning for intercollegiate athletics participation on campus
and in conferences.
- Funding for intercollegiate athletics including preparation and
approval of budget, budget revenue, and disbursement.
- Standards and policies for student participation in intercollegiate
- Other matters appropriate to its purview and/or referred to it
by the campus President or Director of Intercollegiate Athletics.
130.02 Membership Definition
- Students must be:
- Enrolled full-time.
- Matriculated in a degree program.
- In good academic standing at time of appointment and throughout
continuation of service.
- Faculty and staff must be: (for the purpose of satisfying the NCAA
- Staff or faculty (teaching) who do not report to the Chief Executive
Officer or do not serve as chief administrative officials.
- Administration must be: (for the purpose of satisfying the NCAA Constitution
- A full-time administrative staff member.
- Directly responsible to the Chief Executive Officer or serves
as a chief administrative official (e.g., admissions director, finance
officer, department heads, deans). (Other non-academic staff members
and individuals would not be considered to be administrators for
purpose of this regulation.)
- Alumni must hold a degree from SUNY College at Brockport.
- Non-voting: The Director of Intercollegiate Athletics, representative
of the College Council, and others at the discretion of the campus President.
130.03 Membership Composition
NCAA policies require that faculty and administration combined shall
comprise the majority of voting membership. The Committee shall consist
of fifteen (15)-voting members and one (1) or more non-voting members:
++Faculty & staff 4
FOBA 1 (Friends of Brockport Athletics)
Voting Members 15
Non-Voting Members 2 (Director of Intercollegiate Athletics, College
+ No less than one-third of the voting membership shall be students; including
at least one male and one female member from the campus intercollegiate
++ Faculty and staff: At least two (2) should be coaches representing
one (1) male and one (1) female athletic team. At least two (2) should
be other than coaches. The NCAA Faculty Athletic Representative should
be a committee member.
- Students, faculty/staff, alumni, and Golden Eagle Society members:
shall be appointed by the campus President after consultation with the
- Administration and other Committee members: shall be selected by
the campus President.
- Chairperson: shall be appointed by the campus President; and must
be a member of the faculty or administration. Such appointment shall
be made after consultation with the Committee.
- NCAA voting delegate: shall be a member of the Committee appointed
by the campus President, and must be a member of the faculty or administration.
130.05 Terms Of Appointment
All appointments to the Committee will be made during the spring semester
for the following academic year(s). All appointments will be for two-year
terms with appointments being made each spring as follows:
- In odd-numbered: two (2) administration, one (1) alumni, two (2) faculty,
and three (3) student members + will be appointed.
- In even-numbered: two- (2) administration, two- (2) faculty, one (1)
Golden Eagle Society, and two (2) student members + will be appointed.
+ NOTE: Every effort should be made to appoint students who can serve
two-year terms, but this is not a requirement for a student appointment.
- A quorum will be a simple majority of voting members.
- In accordance with the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA)
policy on institutional control, a majority of those persons present
must be faculty/administration members.
130.07 Voting Procedures
Each Committee member is entitled to one vote and must be present to
cast that vote.
130.08 Passage of Policies
The passage of a policy by the Committee will require an affirmative
vote by at least a simple majority of those members present. The President
will communicate policies recommended by this group.
130.09 Procedures for Proposing Policy
- Policy proposals may be presented to the Committee for appropriate
consideration by any member of the College community, i.e., faculty,
administration, staff, students, and alumni. All proposals must be in
writing and presented to the chairperson prior to a meeting at which
preliminary consideration is requested.
- Proposals will be placed upon the agenda for preliminary discussion.
If a majority of the Committee wishes to give a proposal full consideration,
it ordinarily will be placed upon the agenda for the next meeting or
referred to the appropriate standing committee for evaluation and recommendations
back to the Committee.
130.10 Attendance and Replacement
Failure of any member of the Committee to attend three consecutive meetings
requires the chairperson to bring this attendance concern before the Committee
at the third meeting for review and recommendations. After the second
consecutive absence, the chairperson will notify said Committee member
and solicit reasons for said absence for Committee consideration. The
Committee may recommend continuation of membership due to the circumstances
of absence, or it may require the chairperson to recommend to the President
solicitation of new members from the appropriate constituency for appointment
by the President as a replacement.
After consultation with the Committee members for their assignment preferences,
the chairperson will establish committees and appoint their chairpersons.
Composition should be in accordance with NCAA guidelines for Committee
130.12 Duties of Chairperson
The duties of the chairperson will include the following:
- Scheduling meetings after consultation with the Athletic Director.
- Developing meeting agendas in consultation with the Athletic Director
and insuring the circulation of the agenda to members and appropriate
information media on the campus.
- Chairing meetings.
- Insuring that Committee minutes are prepared and circulated in a
timely fashion by a recording secretary provided and identified by the
- Insuring that notice of meeting cancellations or the call of special
meetings reaches all members in a timely fashion
- Insuring that all Committee duties, correspondence, and actions are
forwarded in a timely fashion to the appropriate institutional officer.
- Recommending to the Committee the replacement of members when necessary,
and notifying the Chief Administrative Officer that a replacement(s)
- Insuring, through consultation with the Athletic Director, that all
necessary information is made available to Committee members as far
in advance of the Committee's need to take action as is possible.
- Appointing the members to the Committee's standing committees after
consultation with the members to determine their assignment preference.
- Representing the Committee before the other councils of the College.
(Approved by College President, March 11, 1987)
Return to SUNY System/College Governance