530 Identification of Persons
530.01 Faculty-Staff Identification Cards
Identification cards are to be issued to all employees. The Dining Services Office, Brockway Hall, issues them.
530.02 Identifying Persons on Campus
- To protect life and property on the Brockport campus, it is necessary to be able to determine that persons on the grounds and in the various buildings have a legitimate reason for being there.
- It shall be the obligation of faculty, staff, students and all other members of the College community to appropriately identify themselves upon the request of University Police and other authorized persons and to comply with the policy and procedures described herein.
- It is assumed that any student, faculty member, or employee of the College, the Brockport Auxiliary Services Corporation, Advancement, or Research Foundation of SUNY have legitimate reason to be on the grounds or in open buildings of the College at any time required by his or her regular College business.
- Certain authorized students, faculty, and employees of the College, the Brockport Foundation, the Brockport Auxiliary Services Corporation, and the Research Foundation of SUNY have legitimate reason to be in buildings when they are officially closed. Proof of such authorization must be presented upon request to a Public Safety Officer.
530.03 Procedures for Indentifying Persons on the Campus
The procedures specified below help assure that the College community and its property are properly protected. Voluntary compliance with these procedures by members of the College community and their visitors and guests will make them work more easily.
- University Police Officers have the authority to require proof of identity of anyone on the campus. (See the section on "Loitering" in the student handbook.
- Any faculty member of the College, employee of the College, the Brockport Auxiliary Services Corporation, the Advancement, or the Research Foundation who is in a building he or she is authorized to be in when it is officially closed, and sees someone in the building that he or she does not recognize, should ask for proof of identity and/or proof of authorization to be in that building.
- If the person refuses to comply with the request, the requestor should immediately telephone and inform Public Safety of that fact.
- If for any reason the faculty member or employee prefers to do so, he or she may call University Police and report that there is an unrecognized person in a closed building without first having asked the person for identification.
- A current College ID card is the best evidence that a person is a member of the College community.
- Any member of the College community who sees a person or evidence of a person in a College building or on College grounds acting suspiciously or performing a criminal or vandalous act is expected to report what is seen to University Police as soon as possible.
- No member of the College community is expected to put him/herself in jeopardy by cooperating in the implementation of this policy. If you are not sure of what you should do, or if a person refuses to cooperate in identifying him/herself, retreat to the nearest telephone and call University Police.
- It is hoped that all members of the College community will voluntarily and willingly comply with this policy.
530.04 Proof of Identity
- A current College ID is the best proof of identity.
- Persons associated with the College must have written permission to remove property from College premises, or proof of ownership, and should cooperate with College authorities who may question removal of property.
Return to Health and Safety Sections