Skip Navigation

Brockport / International Students / Transfer

Transfer of Schools

Campus during the Winter

F-1 students may transfer from one school to another within the United States. If you are considering transferring to another institution, consult with an ISS Advisor before making the decision.

The timing of a transfer application is critical. The international student advisor at the new school processes the transfer, and may only do so within the first 15 days of classes. Therefore, if you do not transfer during this time, you will become out-of-status and must apply to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for reinstatement.

To be eligible to transfer schools, you must be a full-time student. The advisor at the new school will require proof that you have been a full-time student in good standing at the school you were most recently authorized to attend. You should have an official copy of your transcript to show the new advisor. This also means that you may not enter the United States on one school's I-20 and then attend another school without having attended the first school. A transfer in this case may be impossible.

Please consult an ISS Advisor for more information on Transferring Schools.

Last Updated 6/7/11