Skip Navigation

Brockport / International Students / Costs

Cost of Living

Man holding money

As a student in the United States, you will incur a number of costs aside from just your tuition. You have most likely already reviewed the Tuition & Costs section, which outlines the Cost of Attendance for international students at SUNY - Brockport.

While that chart gives you a good idea of what your average costs will be per year, you may want to know more about specific costs or fees you may encounter. You can consult your I-20 form for a list of expenses you will incur during your first year at SUNY -  Brockport, but below are some expenses that are typically incurred at the beginning

Brockport, like most small communities in the U.S., has a cost of living that is average compared to other parts of the United States. You should, however, be prepared to pay for expenses directly and indirectly related to your classes. Whether you need to purchase books or equipment for your courses or just want to go out to dinner or to the movies with your friends, you will need to budget accordingly.

First Month Expenses

During your first few weeks at SUNY - Brockport, you will likely incur a number of expenses ranging from housing deposits to books, supplies, new cell phone and travel costs. You must arrive prepared to meet all of these expenses.

A minimum of US $1,500 ($3,000 if you plan to live off campus) will be needed upon arrival for expenses such as the first month’s rent and required deposits, temporary accommodations, household expenses, insurance payments, etc.

If you will be using a credit card from your home country be sure to notify your bank and/or credit card company to inform that you will be traveling to the U.S. It's also very important that you aware of any charges your bank or credit card company may charge you for using the card internationally.

If you have been awarded a fellowship or assistantship that includes tuition, the tuition fees will be handled by the University. However, you will not receive your first housing allowance until the end of your first month at the University. Therefore, you must have your own funds available to pay for room, board, books, and supplies in the meantime. If your fellowship does not specify that it covers the College General Fee, you will be responsible for that as well. You will also be responsible for paying the health insurance fee, which can be found at


Overlooked Costs

Aside from expenses during the first month, here are some additional costs that are often overlooked:

  • Overnight lodging upon arrival: Even if you plan to live on campus during the school year, you may not be able to move into your room immediately upon arriving in the U.S. Hotel charges in the Brockport area range from approximately $60 to $120 per night. You can find a listing of local hotels here.
  • Tips (gratuity) on taxi fares and restaurant meals: It is typical practice in the U.S. to add 15 to 20 percent to the bill. Learn more about American customs here.
  • Winter clothing: Winters in Brockport can get rather cold with temperatures dropping below 10°F (-12°C). It is recommended that you have a heavy coat, boots, waterproof gloves and a hat for these months. If you do not have warm winter clothing you may need to spend between US $300 and $500 for such items.
  • Personal and household items: Even if you rent a furnished apartment, you may have to provide linens, towels, kitchen utensils, and other basic items on your own. Likewise, if you are living on campus, you will still need to purchase linens and towels.
  • Security deposit when renting an apartment off campus: A security deposit is a fee paid to a landlord that protects them against damage or non-payment by the renter. The security deposit typically equals one to two months rent, but may be up to three months rent. This is required before moving into the apartment. Though it is usually returned in whole or in part when the lease expires, you should plan accordingly in order to secure housing. For more information on off-campus housing, please visit the Housing Options section.
  • Deductions from assistantships, scholarships, and other awards for federal and state taxes: For some stipends, almost 30 percent of the total may be deducted, so you must plan accordingly. A student who overpays taxes may apply for a refund. Contact the Office of International Student Services for more information.
  • State and local sales taxes: These taxes are added to the price of many items or services, such as clothing, books, etc., and vary from state to state within the U.S. New York State sales tax is 8.25 percent.

Last Updated 5/3/13