Leadership Development Program
Mission & Goals
At the College at Brockport, State University of New York, we value student leadership development. Our mission is to provide structured leadership development opportunities through certificate programs based primarily on the Social Change Model of Leadership Development. Students begin the program with the Green Certificate and work their way up to the Capstone experience. Each level of the program is designed to challenge students’ understanding of themselves, others and society.
Our vision of sound leadership incorporates the following Guiding Principles. We believe that…
- All students have the capacity to demonstrate leadership.
- Leadership is a process that leads to social change.
- Leadership is purposeful and collaborative.
- Leadership is service and civic engagement.
- The application of sound leadership principles enables us to leave the world in a better place than when we entered it.
- Leadership concepts are explored across all academic disciplines and can be learned through curricular and co-curricular experiences
As a result of involvement in the Leadership Development Program, students will:
- Explore and articulate leadership concepts that promote a deeper understanding of individual, group, and societal characteristics and values.
- Identify peers, faculty, staff, and community members with which to form meaningful and collaborative relationships in order to expand on developing leadership concepts.
- Practice sound leadership principles by participating in opportunities to serve and improve the campus, local and global communities.
- Utilize skills learned to take create opportunities for action that facilitates positive social change.
2013-2014 Strategic Goals
- As a result of an internship in the Leadership Development Office, students will be able to set personal goals, describe leadership theories, and demonstrate professional growth and development.
- As a result of participation in the specialized leadership certificate for student athletes and club sports, students will develop the skills and knowledge needed to be an effective leader.
- The Leadership Development Program will gain recognition as a result of comprehensive improvement to the website, social media, and promotional tools as well as copyrighting of materials created for the program.
- By establishing and promoting formal and informal options for volunteer involvement in the program, students will take advantage of the guidance, mentorship and networking offered by Brockport alums.
- Students involved in the Leadership Development Program will engage in opportunities for recognition and professional development through conferences, internships and the Omicron Delta Kappa Leadership Honor Society.