Wednesday, June 19, 2013
8am - 9pm
Tips for New Students
10 Helpful Library Tips for Student Success:
A Guide to the Drake Memorial Library
If you “can't find anything” about your topic for your research project, don’t forget the library resources, including live help!
- 1) Live Help! Ask Questions!
- Librarians are available almost all hours that the library is open, even until 1:30 a.m. The "Ask a Librarian" service is available:
- In person at the library's information desk
- By Live Chat online
- Phone: 585-210-9870 or 585-395-2760
- Email: email@example.com
- By appointment: You can request to meet with a librarian during his/her office hours.
When you are not sure where to start or if you need something more, ask.
- 2) Drake Library Hours (http://brockport.edu/library/about/hours)
- Keep up to date on our building hours.
- 3) Computer Help, WiFi Access & Printing
- Technology Services provides support for the computer labs on campus. The Help Desk is on the main floor of the library. Students may stop by, call 395-5151, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Drake Library has wireless capability throughout and just outside the building. Use your own wireless laptop in the library to connect to the campus network and printers.
For printing instructions see http://brockport.edu/lits/technology/wireless-printing
- 4) Library Layout
- Our library uses the Library of Congress Classification System. In this system, call numbers start with a letter instead of a number.
For more information about our collections see our descriptions.
|Call Numbers A-Z
||Top Floor (2nd)
||Main Floor (1st)
||Main Floor (1st)
||Main Floor (1st) by the stairs
||Ground Floor (G)
||Main Floor (1st) at the Circulation Desk
- 5) Meeting and Study Rooms
- Individual and group study rooms are available on the second floor for collaborative study and research. The larger group study rooms may be reserved by using our Room Request form: http://brockport.edu/library/about/request-room
- 6) Library Catalog -- How to find books
- Find books and other materials - contains most of the cataloged books, government, publications, periodicals, computer files, and videos/DVD’s in the library.
Over 300,000 items; over 250,000 unique titles.
Checkout material for 4 weeks and renew as needed using your Brockport ID card.
- 7) Databases -- How to find articles (available on and off-campus)
- All of the links to databases within the Drake Library Web site are available on or off-campus to current students, faculty, and staff with a valid NetID.
If you know the title of the journal or magazine you need, use the link: Journals & Newspapers Listing.
If the library has access to it, you will be linked directly to it.
- 8) Interlibrary Loan for Books, Magazine and Journal Articles
- Provides books and articles from magazines and journals not available at the Drake Library. Books typically arrive within one week, often less. Articles are typically delivered via email in 1-7 days. The service is FREE for most items.
- 9) Citation Help and Style Guides
- There is a list of sites that will help you cite information ethically using APA, MLA, Chicago Manual of Style, or other formats. See http://brockport.edu/library/help/citations.php for more information.
The College subscribes to NoodleBib. This software will help you enter your citations properly, and format your bibliography for either APA, MLA or Chicago formats. See the link above for more information.
- 10) Aerie Café
- Located next to the entrance of the First Floor of the Library. Serves a wide range of beverages, snacks and light meals: a great place for a late night snack!
Last Updated 03/08/2012