LITS Project Request Process
Computing projects can become very complex and resource intensive, but the payoffs can be highly beneficial. Since the College’s IT resources are limited and the demand for them is high there is a need for Library & Information Technology Services (LITS) to schedule resources accordingly. Submission of a completed project request form will assist LITS with understanding the project and defining the IT requirements to provide you feedback at an early stage in the request process. This additional information will help in estimating the project cost, timeline, and outcome more accurately.
Do you need to complete a LITS Project Request form?
- Will College ID/netid authentication be required?
- Will Banner data be required?
- Will you need to know who is a student, faculty, staff, alumni, Emeriti?
- Will a server or other computer related hardware be required?
- Will you need secure network connectivity to an outside agency?
- Will you be purchasing new software?
- Will you be using a hosted service/solution?
If you answered “yes” to any of the above questions then you will need to fill out the LITS Project Request form since it appears that LITS resources will be required for your project.
If you wish to request a project, please remember that the process of systems development is a partnership between your office, Library & Information Technology Services (LITS), and other offices and users affected. A successful project takes time, definition, and dedication. Please provide as much information as you can to describe and define the project, estimate costs you know, identify who’s affected and who should be involved in the project. The goal is that thorough definition at the beginning will make the whole subsequent process flow more smoothly and be accomplished more quickly.
Before you start, you will need to have a good idea of what the project consists of and what the outcomes will be. You should know who from your office will be dedicated to work on the project, and what other offices will be likely to be affected.
Workflow for form processing:
- Complete the request form – provide as much detail as possible;
- Forward to LITS for IT related time and resource estimates;
- LITS will return the form to the requestor;
- Forward to your division VP for approval;
- Have your division VP forward the approved form to the CIO;
- LITS will inform you within 30 days as to the status of the request.
LITS Project Request Form
Request priority is made according to the following guidelines:
- Systems developed or enhanced as the result of mandated changes. Changes are primarily in response to SUNY, state, or federal rules and regulations. Most of these changes are the result of financial aid or accounting changes.
- Systems developed or enhanced as the result of campus-based changes in academic policy or other general policies.
- Systems or enhancements that greatly improve service to customers, especially student customers. Improvements that either simplify or facilitate a process are those most often considered, for example, online registration.
- Systems or enhancements that provide direct or indirect cost/benefit improvements either in resources or length of time required completing a task. This is often to enhance processing within a functional office of the College. Occasionally, it is to improve utilization of computing resources, but usually it is to address the lack of personnel in an operating unit of the College.
- Systems or enhancements with low priority that require minimal support. It is our intent to devote a small amount of effort to those requests which are always placed so low on the priority list that their needs would not normally be addressed. By devoting a minimal amount of our resources to them, we can continue to improve customer service. These requests are often accomplished during "wait" periods while working on projects that meet priorities 1, 2, 3, or 4.
Last Updated 05/06/2013