FileBrowser is an app for iOS devices which may be used to access and/or update files within the File City and File City 2 web services. This documentation is intended for those who have already installed File City and File City 2 within the app. If you have not already done so see this link FileBrowser - Configuration and Installation for assistance with the installation.
Please be aware: Filecity and Filecity2 seen within the Filebrowser app is the same as what would be used on a desktop and vice-versa. Any changes and or additions made through this app to Filecity and Filecity2 will be reflected onto the use of the same files on your desktop. Any removal of files will be removed from both as well, not just within the app itself.
NOTE: You can click the screenshot images to see them in larger view.
FileBrowser has its own built in user guide that is accessible from this app. This user guide refers to video and audio streaming, file and folder manipulation, image viewing, and many more guides to becoming familiar with the app. Here are some steps on how to access this guide.
1) Tap the “Config” button listed at bottom left.
2) To the right of “More Help” tap “Web Site” in blue.
3) It will then open a webpage within your default browser. Tap “User Guide” on the webpage.
4) Categorized guides will now be available for viewing on this page.
1) When on the “filecity” or “filecity2” page tap the 'disconnect' button in lower right hand corner. You should now be logged out, to log back on follow the Connecting to filecity/filecity2 instructions above.
1) Locate the file that you wish to edit/view. To view this file only tap it and it will open into a viewer within the app.
– Viewer for document. Tap “filecity” to return to previous list.
–Viewer for photo. Tap “Done” in upper left hand corner to return to list.
2) To edit/update a word processor file tap the file context menu to the right of file and tap “Open In…” within the menu.
3) You will now see a menu with compatible programs for opening this specific file. Tap “Open in Pages”, “Open in Numbers”, or “Open in Keynote”, depending on the file type you are trying to open.
4) The chosen app should have now opened your document. You may now edit your document however you prefer. Once you have completed editing tap the “Share” icon in the top right hand corner and tap “Open in Another App”.
5) Select the file format you want
6) Tap “Choose App” and then tap “FileBrowser” in menu.
7) FileBrowser will now open. Once the app has examined the file it will prompt you with this message, tap “Replace” to replace previous copy, or “Save a copy” to create a second copy of same file.
8) Your changes have now been saved. View the file to confirm.
1) Tap on the file you would like to upload. This will open the file.
2) Tap the “Share” icon in the top right hand corner and tap “Open in Another App”.
3) Select the file format you want
4) Tap “Choose App” and then tap “FileBrowser” in menu.
5) FileBrowser will now open. Once the app has examined the file it will prompt you with this message, tap “Replace” to replace previous copy, or “Save a copy” to create a second copy of same file.
6) Your changes have now been saved. View the file to confirm.
1) Tap the file context menu to right of file you would like to delete and tap “Delete” in menu.
2) You will then be asked if you are sure you would like to permanently delete this file.
!!WARNING!!: This file will be permanently deleted from entire filecity or filecity2 server, not just in FileBrowser app.
If you are sure tap “Delete”, if you are not sure tap “Cancel”.
1) Tap the file context menu to right of file chosen to be moved or copied.
2) Tap “Copy” from menu.
3) This prompt will appear, tap “OK”
4) To copy several files at once tap the “Select” button and choose the files to be copied and tap “Copy” in list at bottom.
Then continue following the remainder steps below.
5) The following prompt will appear, tap “OK”.
6) Open location chosen to paste a copy of the file(s) to. Tap the ‘Action’ button and tap “Paste 1 file here”.
7) The file(s) should now be located within the directory chosen and notice the original copy is also still there.
Note: Unlike files, folders cannot be copied and can only be moved. See “Move a File and/or a Folder” below
1) Tap the file context menu to right of file chosen to emailed. Tap “Email Attachment” in menu.
2) This prompt will appear. If there are more files to be attached tap “Attach More” and follow Step 1 to attach other files. If there are no other files to be attached tap “Send Now”.
3) This email page will appear. Fill in “To:” address and tap “Send” when ready.
1) Tap the file context menu to right of file chosen to be renamed. Tap “Rename” in menu.
2) This prompt will show up. Rename the file however preferred, and then tap “Rename”.
1) Tap the “Select” button and select the files and folders chosen to move.
2) Once all files and folders to be moved have been selected, tap the “Move” option at bottom right.
3) The following prompt will appear, tap “OK”.
4) Open the location chosen to move the file(s) and/or folder(s). Tap the ‘Action’ button and tap “Move 1 folder here”.
5) The file(s) and/or folder(s) should now be located within the directory chosen.
1) Under directory chosen (in “home” directory in picture below) tap the ‘Action’ button and tap “Add new folder”.
2) Enter the folder name desired and tap “Add Folder”
3) The folder should now be listed under the directory chosen.
1) Open the folder to be renamed. Tap the ‘Action’ button and then tap “Rename this folder” from the menu.
2) Rename the folder as preferred and tap “Rename”. The folder name should now be changed.
1) If you are receiving an error connecting to Server with FileBrowser similar (may not be exact) to one below you may need to turn on your VPN.
2) Before turning on your VPN first double tap your 'home' button
3) You will then see a menu with a view of each app currently running. Locate the FileBrowser app listed and swipe the view screen up. Confirm FileBrowser is no longer listed.
4) Double tap 'home' button again.
5) Follow steps in How to Connect to OpenVPN for iOS.
7) Once the steps in number 6 have been completed you may attempt to reconnect to FileBrowser again.
Still Need Help? Chat with support