FileBrowser is an app for iOS devices which may be used to access and/or update files within the File City and File City 2 web services. This documentation is intended for those who have already installed File City and File City 2 within the app. If you have not already done so see this link FileBrowser - Configuration and Installation for assistance with the installation.
Please be aware: Filecity and Filecity2 seen within the Filebrowser app is the same as what would be used on a desktop and vice-versa. Any changes and or additions made through this app to Filecity and Filecity2 will be reflected onto the use of the same files on your desktop. Any removal of files will be removed from both as well, not just within the app itself.
NOTE: You can click the screenshot images to see them in larger view.
FileBrowser has its own built in user guide that is accessible from this app. This user guide refers to video and audio streaming, file and folder manipulation, image viewing, and many more guides to becoming familiar with the app. Here are some steps on how to access this guide.
1) Tap the “Config” button listed at bottom left.
2) To the right of “More Help” tap “Web Site” in blue.
3) It will then open a webpage within your default browser. Tap “User Guide” on the webpage.
4) Categorized guides will now be available for viewing on this page.
1) Tap the “filecity” or “filecity2” in bottom left hand corner under “Remote Files”
2) If your log-in credentials were saved you will not be required to re-enter them skip to step 3. If they were not enter win\ followed by your Brockport NetID then tap “Next”, then enter your Brockport NetID password and tap “Next”.
3) Once logged in tap one of your folders/shares listed and you should now have access to your files.
1) When on the “filecity” or “filecity2” page tap the 'disconnect' button in lower right hand corner. You should now be logged out, to log back on follow the Connecting to filecity/filecity2 instructions above.
Note: These steps are meant to update a file that already exists on FileCity/FileCity2. If you would like to upload a new file see “Uploading a New File from Quickoffice to FileBrowser”
1) Locate the file that you wish to edit/view. To view this file only tap it and it will open into a viewer within the app.
–Viewer for document. Tap “filecity” to return to previous list.
–Viewer for photo. Tap “Done” in upper left hand corner to return to list.
2) To edit/update a word processor file tap the white icon to the right of file and tap “Open In…” within the menu.
3) You will now see a menu with compatible programs for opening this specific file (may look different than pictured depending on apps installed on your device). Tap “Open in Quickoffice”.
4) Quickoffice should have now opened your document. You may now edit your document however you prefer. Once you have completed editing tap “Close” in the top right hand corner.
5) Tap “Save Back” in the drop down menu.
6) Tap “Open in FileBrowser” in menu.
7) FileBrowser will now open. Once the app has examined the file it will prompt you with this message, tap “Replace” to replace previous copy, or “Save a copy” to create a second copy of same file.
8) Your changes have now been saved. View the file to confirm.
1) Tap and hold on the file you would like to upload until it looks like photo below.
2) Drag file to mail icon at bottom of page. When a green check mark appears above file release.
3) Put your email address in “To” field and tap “Send”.
4) Access the email in your email account. Tap and hold on the file until you get a menu. Tap “Open in FileBrowser”.
5) FileBrowser will open and give you this prompt. Tap “OK”.
6) Open the folder you would like the file saved in. Once that folder is open tap the 'Action' button. Now tap “Paste 1 file here” from menu. The file should now be saved within that folder.
1) Tap the white icon to right of file you would like to delete and tap “Delete” in menu.
2) You will then be asked if you are sure you would like to permanently delete this file.
!!WARNING!!: This file will be permanently deleted from entire filecity or filecity2 server, not just in FileBrowser app.
If you are sure tap “Delete”, if you are not sure tap “Cancel”.
1) Tap the white icon to right of file chosen to be moved or copied.
2) Tap “Copy” from menu.
3) This prompt will appear, tap “OK”
4) To copy several files at once tap the “Select” button and choose the files to be copied and tap “Copy” in list at bottom.
Then continue following the remainder steps below.
5) The following prompt will appear, tap “OK”.
6) Open location chosen to paste a copy of the file(s) to. Tap the ‘Action’ button and tap “Paste 1 file here”.
7) The file(s) should now be located within the directory chosen and notice the original copy is also still there.
Note: Unlike files, folders cannot be copied and can only be moved. See “Move a File and/or a Folder” below
1) Tap the white icon to right of file chosen to emailed. Tap “Email Attachment” in menu.
2) This prompt will appear. If there are more files to be attached tap “Attach More” and follow Step 1 to attach other files. If there are no other files to be attached tap “Send Now”.
3) This email page will appear. Fill in “To:” address and tap “Send” when ready.
1) Tap the white icon to right of file chosen to be renamed. Tap “Rename” in menu.
2) This prompt will show up. Rename the file however preferred, and then tap “Rename”.
1) Tap the “Select” button and select the files and folders chosen to move.
2) Once all files and folders to be moved have been selected, tap the “Move” option at bottom right.
3) The following prompt will appear, tap “OK”.
4) Open the location chosen to move the file(s) and/or folder(s). Tap the ‘Action’ button and tap “Move 1 folder here”.
5) The file(s) and/or folder(s) should now be located within the directory chosen.
1) Under directory chosen (in “home” directory in picture below) tap the ‘Action’ button and tap “Add new folder”.
2) Enter the folder name desired and tap “Add Folder”
3) The folder should now be listed under the directory chosen.
1) Open the folder to be renamed. Tap the ‘Action’ button and then tap “Rename this folder” from the menu.
2) Rename the folder as preferred and tap “Rename”. The folder name should now be changed.
1) If you are receiving an error connecting to Server with FileBrowser similar (may not be exact) to one below you may need to turn on your VPN.
2) Before turning on your VPN first double tap your 'home' button
3) You will then see this menu listed at the bottom of your screen. Tap and hold FileBrowser.
4) You will then see the icons begin to “wiggle” and a red ”-” above them. Tap the red ”-” on FileBrowser icon and confirm it is no longer listed.
5) Double tap 'home' button again.
6) Follow steps in How to Connect to OpenVPN for iOS.
7) Once the steps in number 6 have been completed you may attempt to reconnect to FileBrowser again.