NOTE: If you are running any version of OS X later than 10.7 (Lion), please see OpenVPN Mac OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion), 10.9 (Mavericks), 10.10 (Yosemite) Install instead.
To install and setup OpenVPN on your Mac, you will need to submit a request to the LITS Help Desk at email@example.com. LITS staff will create the configuration files needed for your account and send you a notification when your request has been processed.
NOTE: Please indicate the number and types of computers and mobile devices that you need to connect as a configuration file is required for each individual device. You should not use the same configuration file on more than one computer or mobile device.
1. LITS staff will notify you when your OpenVPN request has been processed. The notification will provide information on downloading configuration files to your computer. Be sure that you have successfully downloaded the “brockport.tblk” file, and that you know how to find it on your computer.
NOTE: Depending on your web browser configuration, the file that you download might be called “brockport.tblk.zip” or have an icon that looks like this:
If either is true, double-click the file to unzip it into a folder called “brockport.tblk”.
NOTE: The recommended OpenVPN client for Mac is called Tunnelblick
2. Download the install package from
NOTE: This package is good for 10.6 and higher only - if you are using an older version of OS X, please contact the HelpDesk for assistance.
3. Double click on the saved .dmg file. An icon for a Tunnelblick disk will appear, followed by a window similar to the following:
4. Double click on the Tunnelblick icon and a window similar to the following should appear:
5. Click on the “Open” button and a new window similar to the following should appear:
6. Enter a username and password that has administrative level privileges to the machine and click “OK”. If successful, a window similar to the following should appear:
7. Click “Quit” button.
8. Locate the “brockport.tblk” folder that you downloaded in step 1. Now that Tunnelblick is installed, it should now appear as a file that looks like this:
9. Double-click “brockport.tblk”. A window similar to the following should appear:
10. Click “All Users”. A new window similar to the following should appear:
11. Enter a username and password that has administrative level privileges to the machine and click “OK”. If successful, a window similar to the following should appear:
12. Click “Check Automatically”.
13. You should now have a smaller version of the Tunnelblick icon in the menu bar at the top right side of your screen as shown here:
Click the Tunnelblick icon then select “Connect brockport” from the menu that drops down:
14. A window similar to the one one below should appear:
Enter your NetID and password, and click “OK”.
NOTE: In contrast to the installation steps above, where you were entering the name and password of a user with administrative privileges on the computer, you are now about to connect to the Brockport network, so you must use your NetID and NetID password.
15. After a short period while OpenVPN connects and authenticates to the network, you will see a message stating that you are connected.
The Tunnelblick icon at the top right of the menu bar will indicate your OpenVPN status: when OpenVPN is connected, there will be “light in the tunnel”:
and when disconnected, the tunnel will be dark:
By clicking the Tunnel icon, you can initiate:
and terminate OpenVPN connections to the Brockport network: