OpenVPN is a software designed to tunnel your connection and “merge” it with Brockport's network making your computer act as if it was connected to Brockport's network. If you are going to be off campus for longer than a week at a time, we recommend opening and running OpenVPN at least once so your machine will download all the necessary updates and and install them. If you are gone for an extended period of time without connecting to network on campus, run OpenVPN about once a week so you can stay up to date. If you do not make sure to keep it up to date every week, because the longer you wait the longer the update process will take.
To install and setup OpenVPN on your Windows 7/8 computer, you will need to submit a request to the LITS Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org. LITS staff will create the configuration files needed for your account and send you a notification when your request has been processed.
NOTE: Please indicate the number and types of computers and mobile devices that you need to connect as a configuration file is required for each individual device. You should not use the same configuration file on more than one computer or mobile device.
Windows XP and Windows 8 users please note: Prior to starting the OpenVPN client install, Microsoft's .NET Framework version 3.5 will need to be installed. Please refer to the following Microsoft knowledge base article to install .NET Framework version 3.5 on Windows 8 computers:
1. LITS staff will notify you when your OpenVPN request has been processed. The notification will provide information on downloading install and configuration files to your Windows computer.
2. Extract the files to your computer:
1. Open the extracted folder that was created and double click the openvpn-client.msi file to install the OpenVPN client.
2. Install OpenVPN client with all default options.
3. At the last step, uncheck the “Launch OpenVPN Client” checkbox and click Finish.
1. Launch the OpenVPN Client:
2. Click the Add Connection Profiles button (the plus sign).
3. When prompted to import a profile, select the Local File option and click the Import button.
4. Locate the extracted folder created earlier and select the file called brockport.ovpn on the file browse screen.
5. On the Edit Profile screen, check the box to “Make this profile available to all users on this computer” and click Save.
6. The brockport connection profile should now be displayed on the OpenVPN screen.
1. Instructions for using OpenVPN and verifying the connection are available here: Using OpenVPN for Windows 7/8
2. After verifying the connection, you can delete the files that were downloaded and extracted at the beginning of the setup process.