For Immediate Release
August 24, 2009
For more information, contact
Brockport, NY–G.I. Jobs magazine has named The College at Brockport, State University of New York, a “Military Friendly School” for 2010. The College will be included in the magazine’s Guide to Military Friendly Schools, which will be published in September, and online at www.militaryfriendlyschools.com.
The College was ranked among the top 15 percent of schools across the nations that are doing the most to embrace America’s veterans as students. This includes areas such as on-campus veterans programs, credit for service and military spouse programs.
“This list is especially important now because the recently enacted post-9-11 GI Bill has given veterans virtually unlimited financial means to go to school,” said Rich McCormack, publisher of G.I. Jobs, which also publishes a list of the nation’s military friendly employers. “Veterans need a trusted friend to help them decide where to get educated. The Military Friendly Schools list is that trusted friend,” he added.
The College at Brockport offers a variety of services for members of the military:
• Veterans receive a newsletter listing educational benefits
• Veterans receive information regarding VA Healthcare and how to apply
• Veterans receive help to complete applications for grants and scholarships. For example, last year 50 Brockport students received $160,000 in NYS Veterans Tuition Awards.
• When students deploy, the Brockport Veteran’s Affairs office helps with leave of absence, loans deferrals, and if necessary, apply for tuition refund.
The College maintains a dedicated Web site for veterans (www.brockport.edu/finaid/veterans.htm)
The College at Brockport, State University of New York
350 New Campus Drive * Brockport, New York 14420-2931
(585) 395-2754 * FAX (585) 395-2723 * www.brockport.edu