For Immediate Release
April 6, 2010
For more information, contact
Brockport, NY—The College at Brockport, State University of New York, acknowledged student-athletes during National Student-Athlete Day on Tuesday, April 6. National Student-Athlete Day recognizes the accomplishments of student-athletes nationwide who excel in the classroom, on the playing fields and in their communities. Student-athletes from the College will be wearing t-shirts to celebrate their successes throughout the past year.
“We are extremely proud of our student-athletes on the field, in the classroom and applaud their endless community service efforts,” said Linda Case, director of athletics at The College at Brockport. “Division III really is the purest form of athletics, because these student-athletes are participating for the pure joy of competition and love of the sport.”
Brockport student-athlete academic and civic engagement highlights for the fall 2009 semester:
• 12 student-athletes earned a 4.00 • 66 fall student-athletes earned Dean’s List honors
• 81 fall student-athletes earned at least a 3.30 GPA
• 43 fall student-athletes earned the honor of State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) Commissioners List for attaining an overall GPA of 3.30 or greater for three semesters
• 225 student-athletes participated in a community leaf raking project, serving 37 houses
• 210 student-athletes collected more than 800 pounds of canned food on Halloween to donate to the local food shelf
• 62 coats were collected over Homecoming Weekend and donated to the Brockport Clothes Closet
The College’s student-athletes also celebrated several athletic triumphs so far this year. The Men’s Soccer team won the State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) Championship and advanced to the second round of the NCAA Tournament. The Men’s Basketball team hosted the Eastern College Athletic Conference (ECAC) Upstate NY Championships and finished in runner-up position. The Gymnastics team won the ECAC Champsionship and six gymnasts earned All-American honors at the National Collegiate Gymnastics Association (NCGA) Championship, and the Ice Hockey team defeated SUNY Potsdam in the SUNYAC Tournament, advancing to the semifinals.
Individual achievements include:
• Lauren Mesi ’10 and Matt Avery ’11, Cross Country, named to All-Region Team
• Steve Abgarian ’10, Men’s Soccer, named an NCAA Division III All-American
• Christian Tychostup ’11, Men’s Soccer, named to Regional All-Academic Team
• Nicole Gibaud ’10 and Jessica Van Allen ’10, Women’s Soccer, both recognized at 2009 National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NCSAA)/Adidas NCAA Division III All-East Region Selections
• Alyssa Fitchette ’10, Volleyball, named Rochester Area College Athletics (RACA) Player of the Year
• Lauren Gildemeyer ’10, Gymnastics, qualifies for the NCAA Division I Regional meet, the only Division III gymnast in the East Region to do so
• Christina Scaffidi ’11, Gymnastics, earns the Chancellor’s Award for highest GPA of any SUNYAC gymnast
• Maria Quagliana ’11, Diving, earns All-America honors in one-meter diving, finishing 9th at nationals
• Melissa Scorse ’11, Indoor Track and Field, takes 13th at NCAA Championships
• Tyler Marlow ’13, Wrestling, named Conference Rookie-of-the-Year
National Student-Athlete Day was created by the National Consortium for Academics and Sports (NCAS) and the Northeastern University Center for the Study of Sport in Society, with partnership from the NCAA and the National Federation of State High School Associations. NCAA involvement began in 1994.
Visit www.brockport.edu/athletics to learn more about Brockport athletics.
The College at Brockport, State University of New York
350 New Campus Drive * Brockport, New York 14420-2931
(585) 395-2754 * FAX (585) 395-2723 * www.brockport.edu