For Immediate Release
April 4, 2013
For more information, contact
BROCKPORT, NY—Five students from The College at Brockport, State University of New York, are among the 243 students from across the SUNY system who were honored by Chancellor Nancy L. Zimpher, PhD, April 4 with the 2013 Chancellor’s Award for Student Excellence.
“The students we honor today have strong records of achievement as student leaders, scholar athletes, aspiring artists, and community volunteers,” said Chancellor Zimpher. “By exhibiting excellence in class, on campus, and in their local communities, these students truly represent the power of SUNY and we honor them with great pride. Congratulations to all the students being recognized today.”
Brockport President John R. Halstead, PhD, says the student winners are outstanding representatives of the Brockport student body.
“Our primary mission at The College at Brockport will always be student success,” Halstead says. “Our Chancellor’s Award honorees epitomize student success at the highest levels. Whether it’s in the classroom, on the playing surface, or in the community, they are all exemplars that make us very proud.”
Brockport’s 2013 Chancellor’s Award for Student Excellence winners are:
• Yuko Hashimoto, a dance major from Japan with a 3.9 grade-point average. Hashimoto is the recipient of numerous awards and scholarships and was listed in Who’s Who Among Students in American Universities and Colleges. She has presented her work at national conferences and is active in community service.
• Nicholas Flesch, a mathematics major from Ontario, NY with a 3.97 grade-point average. Flesch has received numerous awards and scholarships. He is also a Ronald E. McNair Scholar, which is a scholarship program for first-generation students, an inductee in the National Society of Collegiate Scholars, and does volunteer work for Habitat for Humanity.
• Laura Clark, a Spanish and Women and Gender Studies major from Marcy, NY with a 3.73 grade-point average. Clark has participated in study abroad experiences in Spain, China, Quebec, Italy, Greece, Chile and Guatemala. She is the recipient of a SUNY Emerging Leader award and is a Brockport resident assistant.
• Amy Vanhooft, a mathematics major from Brockport with a 3.97 grade-point average. Vanhooft participated in an eight-week National Science Foundation funded Research Experience for Undergraduates, has presented her work at national conferences and is actively involved with a number of activities on the Brockport campus. She is active in the community, having participated in Flower City Work Camp Projects and a dance marathon that raised money for leukemia.
• Alexis Schmidtke, an athletic training and exercise science major from Niagara Falls, NY with a 3.94 grade-point average. Schmidtke is the recipient of numerous scholarships and awards, including the American Kinesiology Association Award, which honors a student whose academic and leadership records are distinctive. She has been inducted into Alpha Chi Omicron, a national college honor society that is limited to the top 10 percent of an institution’s juniors, seniors, and graduate students.
The Chancellor’s Award for Student Excellence was created to recognize students who have best demonstrated, and been recognized for, the integration of academic excellence with accomplishments in the areas of leadership, athletics, community service, creative and performing arts, or career achievement.
The College at Brockport, State University of New York
350 New Campus Drive * Brockport, New York 14420-2931
(585) 395-2754 * FAX (585) 395-2723 * www.brockport.edu
Dinner and a Movie with the Friends of Drake Memorial Library
6:30 pm - 9:15 pm