For Immediate Release
December 2, 2004
For more information, contact
Brockport NY – The Department of Theatre Department of at the State University of New York College at Brockport collected six merit awards from the prestigious Theatre Association of New York State (TANYS) at their its annual Theatre Festival in Troy, NY, in November.
Six were for the College’s October production of The Shape of Things.
· Excellence in Directing to Ruth Childs, assistant professor
· Excellence in Design and Technical Support to P. Gibson Ralph, associate professor; sophomore Melissa Leahy; Gary Thomas Musante, technical director; and senior Christopher Zinn
· Excellence in Acting to senior theatre major Michael Herman as Phillip
· Excellence in Acting to freshman communication major Corinne Magin as Jenny
· Excellence in Acting to junior theatre major Latonia A. Phipps as Evelyn
· Excellence in Acting to student Liam Scahill as Adam
There are three separate categories of Merit Awards as follows:
· "Outstanding" - To be issued to the whole or part of the whole of a theatrical event or production of a superlative quality rarely witnessed or experienced by the adjudicator.
· "Excellence" - To be issued to the whole or part of the whole of a theatrical event or production considered by the adjudicator to be of exceptional merit surpassing the norm.
· "Meritorious Achievement" - To be issued to the whole or part of the whole of a theatrical event or production considered by the adjudicator to be worthy of special recognition.
Formal presentations of these awards was held on Saturday, November 20, during the TANYS Festival Awards Banquet at Highland Country Club, Auburn. “The recent production of The Shape of Things by the Department of Theatre, SUNY Brockport, was a dynamic production in the hands of a skillful director and talented cast. It delivered an important message to every audience member,” said adjudicator Ruth Legg, former chairperson of the Theatre and Communications Department at Finger Lakes Community College and the current President of TANYS, who judged the play.
The Theatre Association of New York State, which represents non-professional theatre in the State, offers an educational adjudication program to help members evaluate and enhance their work. Trained adjudicators view productions and then discuss the show with the cast and crew. TANYS adjudicators give Merit Awards to recognize exceptional work by community and educational theatre companies, actors and technicians across New York state.
The College at Brockport, State University of New York
350 New Campus Drive * Brockport, New York 14420-2931
(585) 395-2754 * FAX (585) 395-2723 * www.brockport.edu
Career Services Candidate/EMSA Directors
8:45 am - 9:30 am
Career Services Candidate Open Forum
9:45 am - 10:30 am
Career Services Search Committee
1:30 pm - 3 pm