In the fall 1992 Christine Daggy, a student in the SUNY Brockport Department of Nursing, wrote a letter to the faculty advisor of the Student Nursing Organization requesting that the development of an honor society be investigated. This was the impetus for the initial work which resulted in the formation of the Brockport Nursing Honor Society. In 1993, the Department of Nursing inducted the first members of its honor society. Since that time the members of the society have worked toward membership into the International Nursing Honor Society, Sigma Theta Tau.
Omicron Beta Induction Ceremony, 2011
Sigma Theta Tau International
On December 6, 1997, the honor society's application for chaptership was accepted and the chartering ceremony took place on April 4, 1998. The Department of Nursing was chartered the Omicron Beta Chapter and 170 present and past students, faculty and community members were welcomed as charter members of Sigma Theta Tau International.
The purposes of the honor society are to:
- Recognize superior achievement.
- Recognize the development of leadership qualities.
- Foster high professional standards.
- Encourage creative work.
- Strengthen commitment to the ideals and purposes of the profession.
Criteria for Membership
The membership criteria include:
- Completion of at least one-half of the nursing curriculum (32) credits. For RN to BSN students, 16 credits must have been completed.
- Academic ranking in the top 35 percent of the graduating class. This ranking is determined separately for traditional and RN to BSN students.
- Cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 for all course work. (Frequently this makes the cutoff GPA at 3.40 and above.
- All graduate students who have a GPA of 3.50 or above are eligible for membership.
- A community leader, with a minimum of a baccalaureate degree, who has demonstrated marked achievement in nursing education, practice, research or publication shall be eligible for membership in any chapter.
- Completion of necessary application and reference forms. These are sent to prospective students, alumni and community members by the Eligibility Committee.
- President: Dean Chatfield, BA, RN
- Vice President: Lina Cole, BSN,RN
- Secretary: Susan Azzolino, MA, BSN, RN
- Treasurer: Jerica Barber, MSHD, MSBA, BSN, RN
- Faculty counselors:
- Jennifer Reid, MS, GNP-BC
- Susan Glose, PhD candidate, MS, ANP-BC
- Past President: Michael Arena, BSN, RN, RRT-NPS
Last Updated 8/22/13