Department of Kinesiology, Sport Studies and Physical Education (KSSPE)
Dr. William F. Stier Jr.
Office: B342 Tuttle North
Phone: (585) 395-5331
Post Doctoral: Marquette University
Post Doctoral: University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee
EdD: University of South Dakota
EdM: Temple University
BA: St. Ambrose College
Area(s) of specialty:
Sport management/athletic administration, teacher education - professional
preparation, coaching, women in sport/Title IX, and sport.
Marketing, promotion and fund- raising for sport, recreation and physical
education; women in sport (gender equity/sexual harassment);Title IX;
coaching amateur sports; management and administrative theory; management
processes; professional preparation; physical fitness; leadership; international
sport and physical education (comparative education); curriculum; personnel
management and evaluation; career planning; and assessment.
Click the links below for more information:
Click here for extended vita/biography
- Awarded the Sport Management Scholar Lifetime Achievement Award by the Southern Sport Management Conference in conjunction with Troy University's College of Health and Human Services, April 15, 2010.
- Awarded the Biennial ICHPER-SD Distinguished Contribution Award at the ICHPER-SD Biennial Awards Ceremony in conjunction with the 50th ICHPER-SD Anniversary World Congress in Kanoya, Kagoshima, Japan, May 9 - 12, 2008.
- Nominated for the SUNY’S Chancellor’ Award for Faculty Service, Summer 2007.
- Elected as a Fellow in the North American Society of HPERSD Professionals, 2006, inducted Salt Lake City, Utah.
- Received the International Council for Health, Physical Education, Recreation – Sport and Dance (ICHPER·SD Biennial Distinguished Scholar Award IN Physical Education, fall 2005.
- Appointed  as the Director of the Sport Managemet and Administration Commission (for international Congress in Turkey) of the International Council for Health, Physical Education, Recreation–Sport and Dance (ICHPER·SD)
- Received the 2005 Alumni Achievement Award from doctoral granting institution, the University of South Dakota.
- Elected 2005 as Vice President for North America and the Caribbean for the International Council of Health, Physical Education, Recreation–Sport and Dance (ICHPER·SD).
- Editor of: The Physical Educator
- Editor of: International Journal of Sport Management
- Received the Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Scholarship and Creative Activity (May 9, 2003) from the State University of New York.
- Awarded the Honor Award (recognized as an Honor Fellow) on April 3, 2003 by the American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance (AAHPERD) in recognition of leadership and meritorious contributions and one who “exemplifies the spirit of devoted service to the professions and who have by their leadership and industry made an outstanding and noteworthy contribution to the advancement of Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance.”
- Inducted into the Stritch University Athletic Hall of Fame in fall of 2001.
- Promoted to Distinguished Service Professorship (rank above full professor) spring 2001.
- Awarded the 1st Annual Sport Management Achievement Award in “honor of extensive contributions to the field of Sport Management” by the Sport Management Council (SMC)/National Association for Physical Education and Sport at the national convention of AAHPERD in Boston, MA., April 22, 1999.
- Awarded the Alumni Merit Award for Scholarly Research and Contributions to the Physical Education and Sport Professions from St. Ambrose University in 1991.
- Earned status as a Research Fellow (in 1985) within the Research Consortium of the American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Research and Dand (AAHPERD).
Bill, who came to The College at Brockport in 1983, is married to the former
Veronica Ann Martin, and they have five children and ten grandchildren.
His hobbies include: oil painting, photography, chess, glass blowing
and sculpturing, stained glass, auctioneering, skating, hiking, alpine
skiing, water skiing, canoeing/boating, scuba diving, cross country
skiing, wood carving, writing, and raising purebred Shetland sheepdogs.