The purpose of the Professional Education Unit Advisory Board is to ensure a relationship between the Departments in the Professional Education Unit and the persons in the education community they serve.The Advisory Board provides input to the Unit's on-going strategic planning process which will help to ensure that programs will be kept at the forefront of the profession.
The structure of the Council shall include the following provisions:
The Professional Education Unit Advisory Board shall consist of representative members of professional education from school districts and other professional education institutions.
- The Professional Education Unit Advisory Board members shall meet twice during each academic year.
- The Professional Education Unit Advisory Board members will be nominated by the Professional Education Council and then appointed by the Head of the Unit.
- The Professional Education Unit Advisory Board will submit the minutes of each meeting to the Head of the Unit and the Professional Education Council.
The members of the Professional Education Unit Advisory Board could include the following categories of individuals:
- Employers (who are experienced and have earned tenure in their positions):
superintendent of schools
central office administrator
physical education director
- Practitioners (who have significant years of experience and have earned tenure in their positions):
- Professor from a doctoral institution
- Professor from another higher education institution
- Representative from NYSUT
- Current students: (graduate and undergraduate)
- Recording secretary
The persons selected for the Board shall be:
- Distinguished individuals in education who have demonstrated success within their field
- Currently active in their prominent positions in education
- Distinguished individuals with vision
To provide input to the Professional Education Unit and its on-going strategic planning process, the functions of the Advisory Board shall include the following:
- Review and provide objective assessment and make recommendations about the future direction of curriculum, instruction, candidate and Unit assessment, and other aspects of Unit operations
- Help promote good relationships with the Professional Education Unit's external community, including positively promoting the Unit's Programs
- Provide an external perspective including practitioner, employer, and education faculty
- Provide an alumni perspective and a student perspective
- Keep the Professional Education Unit apprised of trends and needs in P-12 education.