Residential Life / Learning Communities
Assessment & Continuous Improvement
Residential Life/Learning Communities at The College at Brockport is committed to improving program effectiveness and the quality of the student experience through assessment data. The use of assessment data will contribute to the culture of evidence within the department and campus community. We gather qualitative and quantitative data through various methods and tools (Assessment Structure- insert link). Residential Life/Learning Communities upholds and supports divisional and institutional goals and priorities related to assessment which can be found at: www.brockport.edu/emsa/assessment.
To view 2013-2014 data that was collected and actions to promote continuous improvement, please see our ORL/LLC 2013/2014 End of the Year Report.
ORL/LC Department Learning Outcomes
Click here to find out more about the Residential Experience.
Academic Quality & Engagement
- 47 Faculty Members and 40 Staff Members were involved in the LLCs (increase from 37)
- Successfully partnered with English, History and Criminal Justice Departments to create the Perspectives on Humanity and Law & Civility LLCs for 2014-2015
- Townhomes Assistant Alyssa Mitchell received the Marion Schrank Student Leadership Award, Resident Assistant Daniela Bulos was runner-up for the Marion Schrank Student Leadership Award
Co-curricular Programming & Support Services
- ACPA Residential Curriculum Institute Showcase Institution 2013
- 231 Educational Programs were offered in the residence halls
- 2013 SUNY Housing Administrators New Professional Award winner: Tracy Gavin
- 50% (500) of the first year students living on campus, chose to participate in the LLC program
- 3 new first year LLCs implemented for 2013-2014: Nursing Intent, Mathematics & Physical Sciences, Biological Sciences & Psychology
A Culture of Philanthropy & Alumni Connectedness
- 23 Alumni participated in LLC programming during the 2013-2014 AY (increase from 16). “Careers In” LLC Programming series was successful with 3 events (Careers in Dance, Careers in Health Care and Careers in Math & Science) partnering with the Division of Academic Affairs, the Division of Advancement and Career Services
- 2 members of the office are on the Alumni Board (Carl O’Connor and Monique Rew-Bigelow)
- 2 members of the office sit on the Graduates of the Last Decade Board (Carl O’Connor and Sara Kelly)
Learning Environment & Quality of Place
- Residence Halls opened at 99% in the Fall of 2013
- Lock box: Implemented 4 electronic lockboxes in the residence halls as a trial for the full implementation in the fall of 2014. Significantly improves key control and accountability.
- Improved card access control by issuing vendor specific ID cards for Spring and Summer contractors.
- Package room: Moved the package room from Dobson to the College Union. It improved the security and safety of the residence hall and improved customer service.
- We added an additional 13 exterior card swipe points to our Residence Hall system.
For more information, please contact Sara Kelly, Director, Residential Life/Learning Communities
Office of Residential Life/Learning Communities
Thompson Hall - West Wing
350 New Campus Drive
Brockport, New York 14420-2980
Phone: (585) 395-2122, (585) 395-2108
Fax: (585) 395-2732
We are #9 on the printable campus map
October 2, 2014
Comments or concerns regarding Res Life webpages can be sent to ORL Webmaster