Skip Navigation

Residency Requirement


The College at Brockport has student success as its highest priority and recognizes the connection between on-campus living and persistence to graduation. It is the policy of the College that all first-time* college students live on campus for their first four consecutive semesters of study (three semesters for Spring admits).

* First time college students are those who are attending a college or university for the first time. College credits earned while in high school, either through college courses or testing do not count as college attendance, nor does enrollment in a college summer session between high school and enrollment at Brockport.

Exemption from the Residency Requirement is given to students who are married, single parents, veterans, 21 years of age or older, or commuting from the home of a parent or guardian. Students seeking exemption from the policy must submit the Application for Exemption from Second Year Residency Requirement, including necessary documentation, to the Office of Residential Life/Learning Communities. The Director of Residential Life/Learning Communities or designee must approve all requests for exemption from the Residency Requirement.

You can apply for an exemption, by clicking here.

Types of Requests and Required Documentation

Release from this agreement is permitted only under specific and/or exceptional circumstances approved by the Office of Residential Life/Learning Communities:


Required Documentation

Commuting from home of parent(s) or guardian(s) within 30 mile radius of campus

Notarized Verification of Residence with Parent or Guardian (Form located at the bottom of this page)

Marriage: Marriage license

Marriage License or other appropriate documentation

Single Parent Birth certificate of dependent

Veteran Status

Copy of DD 214 form


Written description of condition (by a licensed medical care provider) that includes negative impact of residential environment and description of proposed alternative. Documentation from the Hazen Center for Integrated Care is also strongly recommended.


BASC Representative must indicate Dining Services’ inability to meet your dietary needs. Note: general dissatisfaction will not be reason for approval

Student involvement in a College sponsored academic
program such as study abroad, or other program,
if the obligations demand residency 30 miles or more from campus

Written (an email) verification from your advisor & acceptance letter into the program.

Your advisor can email Attn: Housing Release

Approved Leave of Absence/Transfer/ Withdrawal

Completing the Leave of Absence request at:

If you are transferring, please also submit your letter of acceptance.
Extraordinary Personal Circumstance*

A typed document stating why you can no longer live on campus. This letter should accompany any documentation you think would help in the decision process

All extraordinary personal circumstances will be reviewed by the Director of Residential Life or their designee, the Assistant Director for Housing


Financial Aid Document Form A13 for Housing Release Request. This form must be signed and submitted to the Office of Financial Aid.
Demonstration of an extraordinary change in financial condition beyond your resource base, which cannot be remedied through existing College financial aid programs, includes supporting documentation from the Financial Aid office. Students who qualify for loans and other types of aid, but choose not to accept, will not be granted a financial release. Note: the ability to save money by living off campus is not a justification for exemption.

NOTE: Unless you receive approval of this request, your student status requires compliance with the housing policy. Alternative arrangements for housing, including a lease commitment, will not be considered sufficient reason for approval of this request. If you enter into a lease or other arrangement for off campus housing and have not been released from your Housing Agreement, you will be paying rent in two locations. If your reason is denied, and you fail to pay your deposit and fill out an application, The Office of Residential Life will assign you to a Residence Hall, and charges will be added to your student bill.

APPEALS: If your original request is denied, all appeals must be in writing and submitted within 7 business days of the decision letter to the Office of Residential Life, at the following address:

The Office of Residential Life/Learning Communities
Attn: Second Year Residency Appeal
Thompson Hall
350 New Campus Drive
Brockport, NY 14420

If you plan on appealing your decision, new documentation must be submitted with the appeal letter. This will be complied with your initial paperwork.

Forms and Research:

Application for Exemption and Policy

Second Year Residency Data

Verification of Residence

Financial Aid Document Form A13


Questions? Contact

Last Updated February 23, 2015

Comments or concerns regarding Res Life webpages can be sent to ORL Webmaster


Want to Take a Virtual Tour?
Visit our campus digitally.

Is Your Room safe from Fire Hazards?
A reminder of prohibited items.

Safe Traveling
Tips for avoiding bed bugs.

Fast Trax Bike Program
Need to borrow a bike?

Find Us on Facebook!
Add Reslife on facebook.