Skip Navigation

Brockport / Student Retention / Leave / Leaving Brockport

Leaving Brockport

A Leave of Absence is defined by The College at Brockport as an approved complete, temporary withdrawal from the College. A Leave has two advantages: it "freezes" your academic requirements, allowing you to retain the requirements in place when you last enrolled. A Leave also allows you to register without being readmitted. All matriculated undergraduates will be granted a Leave of Absence upon withdrawing except:

  • students who are in their first semester back after an academic dismissal, or
  • students who have been reinstated following a dismissal.

A Leave of Absence is good for a maximum of three consecutive semesters. A Leave for part of a semester counts as one semester. Please be aware that students who earn no credits at Brockport for three consecutive semesters (by any combination of not enrolling, failing, or withdrawing) and are not registered in the fourth semester will be formally separated from the College, and will need to reapply. This is regardless of Leave status granted previously. Get more information about readmittance. 

The deadline to submit a Leave of Absence for the Spring 2016 semester is Friday April 29, 2016 at 5 pm. 

Note: These forms are for matriculated undergraduate students onlyIf you are a graduate student, contact the The Graduate School. Non-matriculated students should contact Registration and Records.

Should I take a Leave of Absence?

Many students seek this option because they are doing poorly academically and look at withdrawal as a way out. You may have better options. Contact your advisor, your professors, or Student Retention to discuss your options and see if a Leave of Absence is your best choice. These options are further discussed here .

Students may withdraw from individual courses by dropping the course in Banner Web prior to a semester, or by completing a Course Withdrawal Form during the semester, available from Registration and Records. See further information on withdrawing from a course through Registration and Records here.

When students are absent from classes exceeding one week for extenuating circumstances beyond the student’s control, the student may notify the secretary in the Office of the Vice President for Enrollment Management and Student Affairs at (585) 395-2772 / 2137. The secretary will then notify the faculty members of the absence in writing. This notification is not an excuse nor does it obligate the faculty member in any way, nor does this relieve the student from his or her obligation to complete assignments. If you are Leaving the College completely, please read the options below to see which is best for you. Non-matriculated students should contact Registration and Records.

What is my separation date, and why is it important?

The separation date will be the earliest of  1) the date you submit the Leave of Absence Request Form, or 2) the date you drop or withdraw from your final course via Web Banner, or 3) the last date of class attendance as confirmed by the professor(s) for those students who fail all classes. The separation date will determine how courses appear on your transcript, your refund eligibility (if any), and eligibility for financial aid for semester in progress. 


Academic Information

How will a Leave appear on my Brockport transcript?
If you leave within the drop period (approximately the first three weeks of classes), all of your courses will be "dropped" and will not appear on your transcript. If you leave during the fourth week or after, but before the last full week of classes, you will receive a "W" (Withdrawn) on your transcript for courses in progress. If you officially leave the College during a semester, either through a Leave of Absence or Inactive Status, you will not need to contact your professors about a grade.

Last chance to separate without grades for the semester
You must request a Leave before the last week of classes to receive W's. Students separating during the last week of classes or during finals week will receive grades based on work completed.

Taking coursework at another college while away from Brockport
If you wish to take coursework at another college, you may do so. If on Leave, complete a Brockport Student Course Approval Form prior to taking the coursework to ensure the courses can be transferred to meet Brockport degree requirements.

Degree in Absentia
Students who have applied for readmission and are within 12 credits of meeting graduation requirements may apply for permission to complete their degree in absentia if they are unable to return to The College at Brockport to complete their course of study. Candidates must have a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or above, must meet all College-wide requirements for the baccalaureate degree, must receive prior approval from Academic Advisement for all course work obtained at another college, must receive departmental support for all major course work and complete all requirements while on a Leave of Absence. If it will take longer than the duration of the Leave of Absence, the student must apply for readmission, and must then meet current graduation and residency requirements.

Financial Information

What about my bill? How much do I owe? Do I get a refund?
If you leave the College and your bill has been paid, you may be eligible for a full, partial or no refund depending on the separation date. If your bill is unpaid, you may owe money to the College.   If you deferred your bill against financial aid and the aid has not yet been deposited to your account, your bill is unpaid and you may owe money to the College. Many students defer (postpone payment of) their bill against expected financial aid. The bill is unpaid until the aid arrives. If you have already withdrawn when the aid arrives, you may or may not (by federal regulation) be eligible for the aid. However, you still have an unpaid bill at the College. Thus, you may owe money to the College.

Tuition & Fee Refund Schedule
This schedule refers to the amount the tuition and fee charges will be reduced when courses are dropped within the indicated dates. It does not represent the amount to be paid to the student as a refund, since that will depend upon how much was actually paid to the College. If you are receiving any Federal Title IV Aid (Federal Work-Study, Federal Perkins Loan, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, Federal Stafford Loan, or Federal PLUS), read the section below "What about financial aid?" This explains how eligibility for this aid is affected by the date that a student ceases attendance.

The refund policy (for full semester courses) for tuition and BSG, Athletic, Technology and Health fees is:

  • 100%- courses dropped during first week of classes
  • 70%-courses dropped during second week
  • 50%- courses dropped during third week
  • 30%- courses dropped during fourth week
  • No refund for courses dropped after the 4th week

The first week of classes is defined as the first seven calendar days of the semester. Semesters that begin during the week (e.g. Wednesday) are considered to have that first week end on the following Tuesday. Refunds are normally made within 2-4 weeks of your Inactive Status or Leave request. Refund information for partial semester courses and summer/winter courses is available from Registration & Records.

  • Alumni Association Fee Refunds - processed on a pro-rated basis by the Alumni Association.
  • College Fee and Installment Payment Plan Fee Refunds - not refundable after classes have begun.
  • Room Refunds - Contact Office of Residential Life. After the midterm, no refunds are made.
  • Food Service Refunds - See Food Contract - Terms and Conditions.
  • Parking Refunds- pro-rated through mid-semester if parking sticker is returned. Contact (585) 395-2799.
  • College Bookstore- Full refund on unmarked texts in original condition with receipt and proof of withdrawal during first 30 days of semester.

College Refund Committee Procedure
The College Refund Committee considers cases in which a student must withdraw or drop courses for reasons beyond his/her control with extreme financial hardship due to non-refund. Refunds are not granted to students who have failed to follow or were unaware of published withdrawal procedures or deadlines, or are dissatisfied with courses or faculty. Class attendance or non-attendance also is not a consideration. If you may qualify, write to the College Refund Committee with an explanation and documentation of the reasons for withdrawals or dropping courses. Examples of acceptable documentation include copies of doctors' statements, illness or accident reports, etc. The request may only be written by the student being billed.   Address requests for refunds to

College Refund Committee
350 New Campus Drive
The College at Brockport
Brockport, NY 14420-2938

Be aware that if refunds are granted, refunds are returned to the source(s) of the funds. In many cases, financial aid grant or loan programs will receive the refund, not the student. Thus, you may have to repay financial aid already disbursed.

The Refund Committee meets as needed. You will be advised in writing when a decision is reached. The committee will not consider any case that involves a protested check or any account that has been turned over to the New York State Attorney General's Office or a private collection agency for collection until the account is cleared. Appeals must be submitted with all documentation within six weeks of the end of the semester in question.

An explanation of "holds"
The College may impose a "hold" on a student’s
records for non-payment of an amount owed. For example, unpaid parking tickets, overdue library books, or an unpaid college bill are all causes of holds. If you have holds, we deny services and class registration is not allowed until the debt is paid. In extreme cases, we send the debt to the NYS Attorney General or a private collection agency for collection. Check with the Office of Student Accounts on your status before separating, and pay any bills you receive promptly.

Financial Aid

The financial aid requirement applies to you ONLY if:  

This requirement applies to you ONLY if you received federal student aid, and you are withdrawing prior to completing 60% of the period for which the aid was provided.  Federal law requires aid recipients to "earn" the aid they receive by staying enrolled in college. Students who withdraw prior to completing 60% of the semester for which they received federal student aid may be required to return all or some of the aid disbursed. Even if all aid has been received, you may owe money back to the College if the federal formula requires the College to revoke aid due to your early departure.  See the Office of Student Accounts for the publication Return of Title IV Federal Student Aid for more information and examples of refund calculations, or visit the  Student Accounts web page.

Future eligibility for both federal and state aid requires progress toward a degree. However, withdrawing means that you are making no progress in the semester of the withdrawal. For information on what this means for aid eligibility in future semesters, see the publication Academic Standards and Financial Assistance .   Note that if you just stop attending classes, the Financial Aid Office will assume the midpoint of the semester as the last date of attendance if there is no documentation to the contrary, and they may require repayment of aid disbursed.

If you are taking a Leave or requesting Inactive Status and you have a Federal Stafford Loan, you must have an exit interview with the Financial Aid Office. Call or stop in to obtain information regarding an exit interview.  For those receiving Federal Perkins or Nursing loans, contact Financial Aid for additional requirements. A Leave or Inactive Status does not postpone repayment of loans. The initial repayment date is determined by the loan program policy and is based on the date you last attended.

If you withdraw before aid is processed, you may not qualify for aid even for the portion of the semester you attended. See a Financial Aid Advisor to review your situation. If you leave in the fall, remember that spring aid is canceled. If you plan to return in the spring, contact Financial Aid concerning reactivation of your aid. Since we have limited funds, reinstatement of all aid is not automatic.

If you want to return to the College

Simply register for the semester in which you wish to return. Registration schedule and information is available from Registration & Records. Meet with your academic advisor to plan your course schedule and complete an Undergraduate Advisement Form before registering. When a student returns to The College at Brockport before the expiration of a Leave of Absence, he or she will do so under the same status (including probationary status) and requirements that were in effect when the Leave was granted. Remember - Leaves are for a limited time, after which you are classified as Inactive with the College. Keep in mind that you may take Brockport courses from any location via the Internet through the SUNY Learning Network. More information is available by contacting .

Are you one of these?

  1. TAP (or state financial aid recipients) who leave or request Inactive status may be ineligible for that aid in the semester they return. See Academic Advisement for information and the publication Academic Standards and Financial Assistance at Brockport..
  2. Veterans who withdraw may be required to repay veterans educational benefits. Contact the Office of Veterans Affairs for information. Veterans on duty for longer than the allowed three semesters of Leave should contact the Office of Academic Advisement regarding an extension.
  3. EOP students must schedule an appointment with the EOP Office for an Exit Interview.
  4. International students should consult with International Student Services Office prior to withdrawing, separating or taking a Leave of Absence. Students not maintaining full-time status may be in violation of their student status.
  5. Academically Dismissed students who are reinstated but request a Leave in the semester following the dismissal are again classified as dismissed. Dismissed students must meet special conditions to be readmitted.   Refer to your original dismissal letter for conditions.
  6. International students with on-campus phone service must visit Telecommunications to cancel billing.

If you want to return… and your status is Inactive
Contact Undergraduate Admissions to apply for readmission. Readmission decisions are based on previous academic achievement at the College, current admission requirements, grades received for college work completed elsewhere, information or recommendations received from other sources, and the circumstances under which the student left The College at Brockport. These decisions are contingent on space availability at the College and/or in a given academic program for any session or academic year. Readmitted students must meet whatever degree requirements are in place at the time of readmission. The College regularly updates its requirements, and though we view these updates as improvements, they may add to your degree requirements and mandate additional coursework. There is a processing fee for readmission candidates.  Students who were academically dismissed and readmitted/reinstated who do not complete the semester of their return will be dismissed. For these students, any forgiveness applied to failed courses entered to the academic transcript will be removed.
Note: Students will only be readmitted once after an academic dismissal .

Official transcripts must also be submitted for courses taken at other institutions. Students seeking readmission should file the request for readmission no later than four weeks before the start of classes in the term in which they plan to return. All returning students should remember that Financial Aid and Residential Life have earlier deadlines to meet to receive aid or live on campus

Students are required to clear all outstanding obligations to the state and College, including any defaults on student loans, before they can be considered for readmission. Continued eligibility for NYS Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) may also be affected. You will be notified in writing if you do not meet the eligibility requirements for TAP in the semester of your withdrawal. Contact the Office of Student Accounts upon your return to determine future eligibility.

For further information, contact :

To request a Leave or Inactive Status, review policies or discuss your decision: |
The Office of Student Retention
B4 Cooper Hall
Phone: (585) 395- 5403; Fax: (585) 395-5243
OR  Follow the link on our website

For billing, holds, recalculation of aid eligibility and
charges due:
Office of Student Accounts, (585) 395-2473

For re-admittance to the College (if Inactive):
Office of Undergraduate Admissions, (585) 395-2751 or
Office of Graduate Admissions, (585) 395-5465

For evaluation of courses taken at other colleges:
Office of Academic Advisement, (585) 395-2711

For financial aid:
Financial Aid Office, (585) 395-2501

For registration:
Office of Registration and Records, (585) 395-2531

Last Updated 2/15/16