School of Science and Mathematics
The School of Science and Mathematics provides students with opportunities to acquire knowledge and develop skills they need to compete and thrive in our complex and challenging world. The School is home to distinguished faculty-scholars—two coveted SUNY Empire Innovation Professorships among them—teaching contemporary curricula, conducting cutting-edge research and facilitating student success.
- Our talented faculty are putting their expertise to work on pressing topics with real-life implications such as: using computational modeling to determine how to deliver drugs so they are more effective; preserving our fragile wetlands; understanding how the body’s cells signal the onset of cancer; elucidating how the brain controls and affects human behavior.
- We are committed to championing the student. Our faculty engage students in scholarship and discussion in the classroom, enable them to acquire analytical, computational, and observational skills in the laboratory and through field work, and invite them to work on research projects. You’ll often find our students presenting research results at regional and national conferences and/or co-authoring scientific publications.
- We have top-notch facilities. Visit our science labs and you will see biology students using electron microscopes, meteorology (earth science) students using Doppler radar, chemistry students using nuclear magnetic resonance spectrometers, computer science students working on network security, and physics students using tunable lasers. High performance super computers support the computational science program and crunch numbers for our mathematics programs.
- The School consists of nine departments offering 15 undergraduate degrees and five master’s degree programs. Our faculty have earned five of the prestigious SUNY Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Teaching. We offer a variety of scholarships, and options to accelerate graduate degree completion by combining baccalaureate and master's programs.
- Our graduates have gone on to careers in a wide range of professions, including jobs with top tech firms like Google and Inficon and postgraduate work at top universities across North America.
President Obama has stated that “if you look at who our long-term competition will be in the global economy… the countries…whose education system emphasizes the sciences and mathematics…are going to have a significant advantage….I want to specifically see more math and science graduates.” (New York Times Magazine, May 3, 2009). So if you are fascinated by science and math, are interested in pursuing a rewarding career which prizes a background in these fields, and want to be part of the most important trend in the world’s developing economies, the School of Science and Mathematics at The College at Brockport will provide you with the world-class science and math experience you are looking for. We invite you to explore our Web site, and visit the department Web sites, to see more of what the School of Science and Mathematics has to offer.