The Peer Mentoring program at The College at Brockport matches entering first-year students during the Fall semester with trained upper-class students. Even before classes begin, mentors connect new students with the information and resources necessary to make a successful transition from high school to college.
New Peer Mentors will earn two upper division elective credits for the Fall semester.
All Returning Peer Mentors will earn one upper division elective credit for the Fall semester.
PEER MENTOR ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Peer Mentors are representatives of The College at Brockport starting the summer before, and continuing throughout the Fall academic semester.
- Peer Mentors play a vital role in helping new students learn about our campus and community by creating a welcoming and informative environment.
- Peer Mentors are role models and resources for students. They are responsible for communicating information about academic policies and programs, clubs, organizations, campus life and curricular and co-curricular activities.
QUALIFICATIONS AND CRITERIA:
- Must be a full time, matriculated undergraduate student with a flexible co-curricular schedule.
- Able to accommodate one APS section in their schedule. Students who are not available during any of the offered APS sections cannot be mentors.
- Must be in good disciplinary (student conduct) and academic standing.
- Must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5.
- Involved in co-curricular activities.
- Possess the ability to be hard-working, flexible and have a sense of humor.
- Exhibit excellent communication skills (especially public speaking) and leadership capabilities.
- Possess outstanding organizational skills.
- Ability and desire to work with students, faculty and staff.
- Have a strong commitment to The College at Brockport and the philosophy behind the Peer Mentoring Program.
STILL HAVE QUESTIONS? WE'VE GOT ANSWERS!
Any questions please contact Dr. Sherill Anderson, Second-year Experience Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org and/or (
Last Updated 12/3/15