The Peer Mentoring program at The College at Brockport matches entering first-year students with experienced and trained upper-class mentors. Even before classes begin, mentors connect new students with the information and resources necessary to make a successful transition from high school to college. Peer Mentors are assigned an Academic Planning Seminar (APS) and serve as role models and resources for first-year students.
New Peer Mentors will earn two upper division elective credits for the Fall semester. All Returning Peer Mentors will earn one upper division elective credit for the Fall semester.
PEER MENTOR ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Peer Mentors are representatives of The College at Brockport starting the summer before, and continuing throughout the Fall academic semester.
- Peer Mentors play a vital role in helping new students learn about our campus and community by creating a welcoming and informative environment.
- Peer Mentors are role models and resources for students. They are responsible for communicating information about academic policies and programs, clubs, organizations, campus life and curricular and co-curricular activities.
QUALIFICATIONS AND CRITERIA:
Preference will be given to candidates who meet the following preferred qualifications.
- Must be a full time, matriculated undergraduate student with a flexible co-curricular schedule.
- Able to accommodate one APS section in their schedule. Students who are not available during any of the offered APS sections cannot be mentors.
- Must be in good disciplinary (student conduct) and academic standing.
- Must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5.
- Involved in co-curricular activities.
- Possess the ability to be hard-working, flexible and have a sense of humor.
- Exhibit excellent communication skills (especially public speaking) and leadership capabilities.
- Possess outstanding organizational skills.
- Ability and desire to work with students, faculty and staff.
- Have a strong commitment to The College at Brockport and the philosophy behind the Peer Mentoring Program.
TIME COMMITMENT AND EXPECTATIONS
- Completion of preparatory training programs during the Spring and Fall semesters. Spring training is held on one evening toward the end of the Spring semester. Fall training will occur during the week leading up to the start of classes. Attendance at all training sessions is required.
- Facilitate Academic Planning Seminar class on the Saturday before classes begin in the Fall 2015 semester.
- Participate in a communication plan over the summer via personalized postcards to mentees.
- Attendance and participation in the weekly APS class as per APS instructor.
- Meeting individually with the Second year Experience Coordinator throughout the Fall semester as well as attend Professional Development course sessions.
- Presentations to APS classes, including but not limited to, time management, campus involvement, and adjusting to college life.
- Attending and assisting with First year Experience events(i.e. Summer Reading, Club Craze, etc.)
- Communicating with mentees via weekly e-mails and in-person.
- Maintain a positive attitude toward The College at Brockport, college policies, professors, administrators, etc.
- Participate in events that may take place on weekends and evenings.
Applications are now live for New and Returning Fall 2015 Peer Mentors!! Click on the links below!
Recommendation Form (Required for new Peer Mentor applicants ONLY)
Any questions please contact Sherill Anderson, Second-year Experience Coordinator at email@example.com and/or
Last Updated 12/8/14