Transfer Peer Mentor Program
Interested in becoming a Transfer Peer Mentor for next semester?
Stop by the Transfer Center to pick up your application:
C7 Cooper Hall
Share your transfer experience with new transfer students!
What is a Peer Mentor?
- Peer Mentors play a vital role in helping new students learn about our campus and community by creating a welcoming and informative environment.
- Mentors are resources for students for information about academic policies and programs, social organizations, campus life and curricular/co-curricular activities.
- Mentors are representatives of The College at Brockport the summer before, and the current academic semester, who assist with the implementation of the Peer Mentoring program.
Job Description and Responsibilities
- Serve as a Peer Mentor for incoming transfers by sending out weekly emails to approximately 100 new students; you would answer questions and address any concerns brought forth by students. You would also be responsible for referring students to appropriate offices on campus if necessary.
- Participate in two training sessions about college policies and educational requirements and services.
- Overall, help first-year transfer students feel comfortable in their transition to the College by being responsive to and aware of their needs and concerns.
Qualifications for Consideration
Preference will be given to candidates who meet the following preferred qualifications:
- Current transfer student who has been through the transfer process.
- Brockport student who will be a full time, matriculated student in current semester, with a flexible co-curricular schedule.
- In good disciplinary and academic standing (minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5.)
- Involved in co-curricular activities.
- Possess the ability to be hard-working, flexible and have a sense of humor.
- Exhibit excellent communication skills (especially public speaking) and leadership capabilities.
- Possess outstanding organizational skills.
- Ability and desire to work with students, faculty and staff.
- Have a strong commitment to The College at Brockport and the philosophy behind the Peer Mentoring Program.
- Have a positive, motivated attitude.
Transfers Contact Us!
Phone: (585) 395-5439
Last Updated 4/1/15