How to Start a New Organization
The following information is taken from our Student Organization Registration Policy
- New Organization Registration Process
- Prior to registration:
- Verify with The Space/myBROCKPORT that a similar group does not already exist as a registered student organization
- Stated mission must align with the mission of the college.
- Schedule a meeting with the Student Organization Coordinator by emailing email@example.com to discuss the registration process and the organization’s goals.
- Hold an interest meeting sponsored by The Space. Turn a copy of the attendance in to the Student Organization Coordinator.
- Gather a group of at least 5 interested students.
- Determine who will serve at the organization’s Interim President and Vice President.
- Find a faculty or staff member at The College at Brockport who is willing to serve as the organization’s advisor
- Create a constitution (template). The constitution must include the following information:
- Name of Organization
- Purpose/Mission Statement (Include how the organization’s purpose and mission aligns with the College’s mission)
- Affiliations (Indicate if your group has affiliation with a Brockport department and/or any other campus, local, state, national, or international organization and explain the relationship.)
- How membership is determined (open to all, dues, eligibility)? See III.C. for more information regarding the college’s nondiscrimination statement.
- Officers (Include unique titles for your student organization leaders-i.e President may be calle Captain)
- How are officers elected & please list duties for each elected position?
- Advisor’s name and contact information
- Anti-hazing policy. See III.D. for more information on the college’s policy.
- The President will register as an interest group on myBROCKPORT.
- The President or designee will attend the New Organization Workshop series throughout the first semester of their registration.
- As appropriate, the organization will begin recognition steps to be completed at the end of the first year of registration.
- Once registered, all student organizations must complete the re-registration process each year.
Last Updated 6/25/15