Director, Assistant Professor of Women and Gender Studies
118 Liberal Arts Building
Office Phone: (585) 395-5799
Sex and Culture; Honors Sex and Culture
Gender, Race and Class
Feminist Theory; Graduate Level Feminist Theory
Feminist Research Methods
Senior Seminar in Women and Gender Studies
Practicum in Women and Gender Studies
- "Threshold Concepts in Women and Gender Studies" Summer '16
- "The Sex Wars: Bodies, Laboring, and Reproduction" Summer '15
- "Riot Grrrl to Little Women: Politics of Identity and Place" Summer '14
- New York- St. Petersburg Institute of Linguistics, Cognition and Culture, St. Petersburg State University, Russia
Honors Program Senior Thesis Advisor
Women and Reproductive Freedom in Chile, Fall '15
The (de) Evolution of the Disney Princesses, Spring '15
The Sex Wars and Gender- Based Violence, Spring '15
Interrogation of Community in Women and Gender Studies, Spring '13
Women in Popular Music: Empowered or Exploited?, Spring '12
Masculinity and Rape Culture, Spring '10
Masculinization of Medicine, Spring '09
- CSTEP and McNair Programs, Spring '04 - Spring '12, Fall '13 - Present
Teaching / Research Interests
- Global Perspective on Women and Gender
- Women’s Stories as Feminist Standpoint
- Gender and Popular Culture
- Intersectionality and Higher Education Equity/Success
- International Women's Day: Historical Perspectives
Sex and Education (1873) : Historical and Contemporary Perspectives
- HERS Bryn Mawr Institute, Bryn Mawr, PA
Bryn Mawr University
Women in Higher Education Administration, July 2013
- University of Buffalo, Buffalo, NY
Educational Leadership and Policy
PhD, Social Foundations of Higher Education, May 2004
Research/Reading Focus, Women in Education
- Boston University, Boston, MA
School of Education
EdM, Adult and Continuing Education, May 1986
- Anglo School, London, England
Royal Society of Arts, English as a Second Language, May 1982
- Rhode Island Collage, Providence, RI
BS, Elementary Eduation/Early Childhood, May 1981
Teaching Concentration: English Literature/Language Arts
Ronald E. Fontaine Faculty Student Scholarly Engagement Awards, The College at Brockport, Spring '15
Diversity Engagement Award, The College at Brockport, Fall '13
Outstanding Service to Students Award, The College at Brockport, Spring '13
Academic Advisement Award, The College at Brockport, Spring '13
Honorable Mention, Mixed and Imagined, University of Rochester Susan B. Anthony Institute Faculty Juried, "If I had a Camera ...Re-Imagining Film and Media Through a Feminist Lens," March '13
Emerging Leader Award, American Association of University Women, April '12
Mentor of the Year, McNair/CStep, The College at Brockport, Spring '08
Invited Advisory Work
The College at Brockport
Writing Assessment for Gender Education, Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning, Spring '15
COIL SUNY Nodal Network Brockport Coordinator, SUNY Global Center, Fall '13 - present
Advisory and Instructional Assessment Member, Levin Institute Global Workforce Project Module Assessor, Fall '09
Pilot Faculty, Gender Module
, Levin Institute Global Workforce Project, Summer '10 - Fall '12
Reviewer, Freshman Summer REading Essay Contest, Fall '07 - present.
Seneca Falls Dialogues, College Alliance
- Conference Chair, Call for Proposal Overseer/Reviewer - '08, '10, '12, '14
National Women's Studies Association (NWSA)
- Conference Proposal Reviewer, 2011 - 2015
"Negotiating Sex and Gender Mediums Across Continents: Brockport, New York to Novgorod, Russia," In A. Moore and S.Simon (Eds.), Globally-Networked Learning: Theories and Practices, Routledge, May '15.
"Faculty Learning Community (FLC) on Student Leadership: Applying Student Voices on Learning Development," second author with J. Zhang, L. Lieberman, L. Barrett, MountainRise: The International Journal for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning, 2014, 4(2).
"The Capitalist Hijacking of International Women’s Day: Russian and American Considerations," first author with G. Jordain; Journal of International Women’s Studies, 2013, 14(3), 244-258.
"The New Old Feminism: Regional Coalition and the Future of Women and Gender Studies," March '12, Women in Higher Education.
Review of Eisenstein, "Feminism Seduced: How Global Elites Use Women's Labor and Ideas to Exploit the World," June '12, Gender and Society, Sage Publications.
"Despite Gains, Women Still Face Inequality: International Women's Day 101 Years."
Rochester Democrat and Chronicle Speaking Out Essay, March '12.
"'Now I have Something that is Mine:' Women’s Higher Education Gains as Feminist Standpoint"
(2011), with J. Bergeron, S. Evans, Wagadu: A Journal of Transnational Women’s and Gender Studies (Vol. 9)
, Special Issue: Gender Equity in Higher Education.
"'How to be the Best at Everything:' The Gendering and Embodiment of Boy/Girl Advice" (2011), Journal of Interdisciplinary Feminist Thought, Volume 5 (1), Women and the Media.
"'On the Outside End:' Systems of Oppression and Academic Success" (2010), Black Women Gender and Families, Volume 4(2).
- Co Editor,
Seneca Falls Dialogues Journal, Volume I, October 2015
- "Textual Note, Riot Grrrl to Little Women: Politics of Identity and Place Manifestos" (2015).
Universals and Contrasts, Issue II
- "Note from the Editor," (2014).
Dissenting Voices: Vol. 3: Is. 1, Article 3.
- "Note from the Editor," (2013).
Dissenting Voices: Vol. 2: Is. 1, Article 3.
- "Editor's Note," (2012).
Dissenting Voices: Vol. 1: Is. 1, Article 2.
- Executive Editor and Founder (2011),
The Spectrum: A Scholars Day Journal.
- Quoted in International Women's Day 2012, Teacher Online, The Teacher Magazine, London, England.
- Review of Burn, S.M. (2011), Women Across Cultures: A Global Perspectives. New York: McGraw Hill. Segment of review quoted on text binding.
WXXI Public Radio: Connections with Evan Dawson: "Are Women Obligated to Vote for Hillary Clinton," February '16; "Old Dominion University Frat Sigs and Rape Culture," September '15; "Checking in on Women's Progress," July '15; "Feminism," August '14.
Fannie Barrier Williams Plaque Unveiling Ceremony,
Introductory Remarks, April '16.
International Women's Day: Introductory Remarks
, Career Conversations with Artist Endia Beal, The College at Brockport, Brockport, NY March '16.
Title IX and Campus Compliance
, Panel on Gender-Based Violence, The College at Brockport, Brockport, NY April '15.
One Billion Rising and Trauma Movements
, Conference on Gendered-based Violence, Novgorod State University Departments of Psychology and Sociology, Novgorod Russia, March '15
International Women's Day: Russian and American Perspectives
, Women's Rights National Historic Park, Seneca Falls, NY, March '15; Greater Rochester Area Chapter of American Association of University Women, March '15
National / International Presentations
"The Ins and Outs of Periodic Program Rewview in Women and Gender Studies"
Program Administrator's Rountable Proposal, National Women's Studies Association (NWSA), Montreal Canada, November '16.
"Contested Identities" Transnational Teaching and Coalition-Building in Russia"
Rountable Proposal, National Women's Studies Association (NWSA), Montreal Canada, November '16.
"Inhabited Bodies: Markets, Empire, and Women's Reproductive Subjectivity"
Paper Proposal, National Women's Studies Association (NWSA), Montreal Canada, November '16.
"Dissenting Voices: Unsettling Dominant Knowing."
Panel Proposal, National Women's Studies Association (NWSA), Montreal Canada, November '16.
Bloom's "Normal" (2002) and Tarttelin's "Golden Boy (2013): Reading Gender Fluidity Written Across Time and Text,"
National Women's Studies Association (NWSA), Milwaukie, WI, November '15.
"Inside the Laundry Closet,"
Liberal Arts Building Faculty Lecture Series, February '15; National WOmen's Studies Association (NWSA), Milwaukie, WI, November '15.
"Lean Forward: Tecno-Feminist Pedagogies Across Boarders,"
National Women's Studies Association (NWSA), San Juan, Puerto Rico, November '14.
"Feminists Queering the Campus: Approaches to LGBTQIA Equity, Inclusion and Change,"
Program Administrators Roundtable, National Women's Studies Association (NWSA), San Juan, Puerto Rico, November '14
"Clearing the Air: Social Ecologies of Identity and Place,"
Biennial Seneca Falls Dialogues Conference, Seneca Falls, NY, October '14.
"Negotiating Sex and Gender Mediums Across Continents: Brockport, New York to Novgorod, Russia,"
14th International Conference on Diversity in Organizations, Communities and Nations, Vienna, Austria, July '14; CIT Conference, Cornell University, May '14, ITTG Conference, SUNY Geneseo, March '14, SUNY Global Center COIL Conference, April '13.
Linkages of Rochester U.S-Russia Peer-to-Peer Dialogue Program
- United States Embassy in Moscow, $50,000 Awarded in partnership with Linkages Rochester, Fall '15, Educational Programing Domestic Violence in Russia and the U.S.
SUNY Russian Programs Network
- St. Petersburg Institute of Linguistics, Cognition, and Culture. Summer, 2014. Faculty Teaching/Travel Award, Teaching Gender Roles Across Cultures
NEH COIL Institute Fellow, State University of New York
- Global Issues in Gender Studies: Brockport, NY- Novgorod, RU : Summer ’11- Summer ’13 sponsored research, State University of New York (SUNY) COIL: Collaborative Online International Learning, National Endowment of the Humanities (NEH), Globally Networked Learning in the Humanities.
Last Updated 4/1/16