Markus M. Hoffmann
Darmstadt University of Technology, Germany Chemistry “Vordiplom” 1991
Washington University, St. Louis, MO Physical Chemistry M.A. 1996
Washington University, St. Louis, MO Physical Chemistry Ph.D. 1997
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL), Supercritical Fluids Group, Richland, WA
Physical Inorganic/Hydrothermal Chemistry Post-Doctoral Fellow 1998-1999
Post-Doctoral Associate 1999-2000
Associate Professor (Sept. 2007 – present)
The College at Brockport, State University of New York, Dept. of Chemistry, Brockport, NY
(Sept. 2000 – Aug. 2007)
The College at Brockport, State University of New York, Dept. of Chemistry, Brockport, NY
Adjunct Faculty Member (Sept. 1999 – June 2000)
Columbia Basin College, Department of Math and Science, Pasco, WA
Friedrich Schiller University (FSU), Jena, Germany, Institute of Technical and Environmental Chemistry (July 2007 – June 2008)
COLLABORATORS AND RESEARCH ADVISORS (denoted by asterisks)
Washington University: Mark S. Conradi (Physics)*, Jacob Schaefer (Chemistry)*
PNNL: Raymond S. Addleman, John G. Darab, John L. Fulton*, Steve M.Heald, Bruce J. Palmer, Clement R. Yonker*, James S. Young
University of Washington: Gerald T. Seidler, Edward A. Stern (both Physics)
Rochester Midland Corporation: Jack. D. Fox
Central Michigan University: Anja Müller (Chemistry)
Friedrich Schiller University : Annegret Stark,
SYNERGISTIC TEACHING ACTIVITIES at SUNY BROCKPORT:
I have been responsible for the Physical Chemistry lecture and laboratory instruction. I developed classroom group exercises for the lecture and introduced project-based components into the Physical Methods Laboratory. These include pedagogically innovative experiments (two of these disseminated in Journal of Chemical Education), research relevant experiments, and a “fix-it” lab where students collectively repair and maintain laboratory equipment such as vacuum pumps, controlled atmosphere box, etc. I have also been responsible for the instruction of a spectral interpretation lecture course (magnetic resonance portion) and for laboratory sections of College Chemistry. I spearheaded a collaboration with colleagues to introduce peer-led-team-learning workshops into introductory College Chemistry, which is now a self-sustaining element of the course.
SCHOLARSHIP ACCOMPLISHMENTS at SUNY BROCKPORT:
I have received a Camille & Henry Dreyfus Start-Up Grant Award in 2000 and an ACS-PRF Type-G Grant in 2003, and since 2003 I have maintained a research collaboration with Rochester Midland Corporation, all providing support for undergraduate students to conduct summer research. Combined with independent research activities during the semester, I have been a mentor to a total of eighteen undergraduate students and two high-school students (ACS SEED program), leading to eight student-co-authored publications. Undergraduate research collaborators have presented a total of 51 talks and posters. In 2004, I received recognition as a "Promising Inventor" from the Research Foundation of the State University of New York.
SYNERGISTIC SERVICE ACTIVITIES at SUNY BROCKPORT:
I have been responsible in the maintenance of SUNY Brockport's NMR facilities, led the successful grant writing effort to receive funding from NSF to purchase a new 300 MHz NMR and have currently been overseeing the instrument purchase and installation process. Since April 2001, I have been the Environmental Chemistry track representative in the Environmental Science Program board that governs the new Environmental Science BS Degree Program at SUNY Brockport. Since 2001 I have also served as advisor for the student run Chemistry Club that received Honorable Mention in 2002 and Commendable in 2003 from the American Chemical Society. I have served on three NSF review panels and reviewed a number of articles for journals including Journal of the American Chemical Society and Journal of Chemical Education.
PI on External Grants and Contracts:
- ACS-PRF Undergraduate Faculty Sabbatical Grant, “Investigating the Mobility and Thermodynamics of Mixed Ionic Liquid – Water Systems”, 2007-08, $50,000.
- Co-PI for the 2006 Merck AAAS Undergraduate Science Research Program promoting interdisciplinary undergraduate research in chemistry and biology, $60,000.
- Contract with RCAg Industries to conduct environmental oil degradation analysis according to EPA protocols, $5,150 awarded in 2005.
- Year 2004 CCLI award to fund new NMR instrument, "Incorporation of Modern NMR spectroscopy into the Chemistry Curriculum of a Four-Year Undergraduate Institution", Hoffmann, M. M.; Heitz, M. P.; Logan, M. E., $127,201.
- Since 2003 annual contract with Rochester Midland Corporation supporting summer undergraduate research, contract amount was raised from annual $7,000 to annual $8,000 in 2005.
- NMR analysis for Assistant Professor Anja Mueller of Clarkson University, summer 2002. The $2000 obtained used to purchase stirrer hotplates for the Department.
- Year 2003 Petroleum Research Fund type G Award from the American Chemical Society, "Combining Ionic Liquids and Supercritical Carbon Dioxide into a One-Phase Solvation Medium for Chemical Reactions", $35,000.
- Year 2003 Workshop Project Associate Program Starter Grant for Peer-Led-Team Leaning, "Increasing Retention in Introductory College Level Chemistry Courses While Preparing Future School Science Teachers", Hoffmann, M.M.; Schlecht, K. D.;Sakshaug, L. E.; Veronesi, P. D, $5,650.
- Year 2000 Camille and Henry Dreyfus Faculty Start-up Grant for Undergraduate Institutions, "Basic Spectroscopic Studies on Environmental Solvent Systems, $20,000.
- Promising Inventor Award, received from the Research Foundation of SUNY at the Annual Recognition Dinner, Albany, NY, November 4. 2004.
PUBLICATIONS FROM SCHOLARSHIP FROM SABBATICAL RESEARCH AT FSU JENA, GERMANY:
- Markus M. Hoffmann, invited book chapter "Applications of Surfactants in Green Chemistry" to be included in: “The [Oxford] Handbook of Green Chemistry: From Molecular Design to Process Scale-up.” edited by William M. Nelson, submitted.
- "Studies on the solvent-free and waste-free Knoevenagel condensation", Trotzki, R.; Hoffmann, M. M.; Ondruschka, B. Green Chemistry, 2008, Vol. 10, 767-772.
- "The Knoevenagel condensation at room temperature", Trotzki, R.; Hoffmann, M. M.; Ondruschka, B. Green Chemistry, 2008, Vol. 10, 873-878.
- "Thermal Isomerization of cis- and trans-Pinane leading to ß-Citronellene and Isocitronellene", Stolle, A.; Hoffmann, M. M.; Ondruschka, B.; Bonrath, W.; Netscher, Th.; Findeisen, M.; Theyssen, N. Chemistry - A European Journal, 2008, Vol. 14, 6805-6814.
Publications from Scholarship at SUNY Brockport (undergraduate collaborators are underlined):
- "An Interactive Spreadsheet for Demonstration of Basic NMR and Fourier Transform Concepts”, Hoffmann, M. M. Journal of Chemical Education, in press.
- "Quantitative Analysis of Nail Polish Remover Using Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy Revisited”, Hoffmann, M. M.; Caccamis, J. T.; Heitz, M. P.; Schlecht, K. D. Journal of Chemical Education, in press..
- "Magnetic Field Gradient Calibration as an Experiment to illustrate Magnetic Resonance Imaging”, Hoffmann, M. M.; Seedhouse, S. J. Journal of Chemical Education, 2008, Vol. 85(6), 836-838.
- "Hoffmann, M. M.; Sobstyl, H. S.; Seedhouse, S. J. T1 relaxation measurement with solvent suppression”, Magnetic Resonance in Chemistry, 2008, Vol. 46, 660-666.
- "Using Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy for Measuring Ternary Phase Diagrams, Woodworth, J. K.; Terrance, J. C.; Hoffmann, M. M. Journal of Chemical Education,
2006 , Vol. 83(7), 1065-1066.
- "Determination of the Mole Fraction of Various Gases Absorbed by Trihexyltetradecylphosphonium Chloride Using the Stoichiometric Method", Hutchings, J. W.; Hoffmann, M. M., Proceedings of the National Conference On Undergraduate Research (2005), Washington & Lee University and VMI Lexington, Virginia, April 21-23, 2005, 1446-1451 .
- "Water Partitioning in "Dry" Poly(Ethylene Oxide) Alcohol (C mE n) Nonionic Surfactant - A Proton NMR Study", Hoffmann, M. M.; Bennett, M. E.; Fox, J. D.; Wyman, D. P.; Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 2005, Vol. 287, 712-716.
- "Surprisingly High Solubility of the Ionic Liquid Trihexyltetradecylphosphonium Chloride in Dense Carbon Dioxide", Hutchings, J. W.; Fuller, K. L.; Heitz, M. P.; Hoffmann, M. M., Green Chemistry, 2005, Vol. 7, 475-478.
- ”Ion Pair Formation of the Ionic Liquid 1-Ethyl-3-methylimidazolium bis(trifyl)imide in Low Dielectric Media”, Tubbs, J. D., Hoffmann, M. M., Journal of Solution Chemistry, 2004, Vol. 33, 379-392.
- ”Measuring P-V-T Phase Behavior with a Variable Volume View Cell”, Hoffmann, M. M. Salter, J. D., Journal of Chemical Education, 2004, Vol. 81, 411-413.
- ”A Classroom Exercise Aiming at the Development of an Intuitive Understanding of P-V-T Phase Behavior of Fluids”, Hoffmann, M. M., Journal of Chemical Education, 2004, Vol. 81, 376-378.
- "Surfactants in Green Solvent Systems - Current and Possible Future Research Directions", Hoffmann, M. M.; Heitz, M. P.; Carr, J. B.; Tubbs, J. D., Journal of Dispersion Science and Technology, 2003, Vol. 24, 155-171.
- Microwave-Assisted Synthesis of 1-Ethyl-3-Methylimidazolium Bromide", Woods, C. M.; Bushie, N. T.; Hoffmann, M. M., Journal of Undergraduate Chemistry Research, 2003, Vol. 2, 1-4.
Publications From Post-Doctoral Research at PNNL:
- “NMR Investigation of High Pressure, High Temperature Chemistry and Fluid Dynamics”, Yonker, C. R.; Hoffmann, M. M., in “Supercritical Fluid Technology in Materials Science and Engineering: Synthesis, Properties and Applications”, edited by Sun, Y.-P., Marcel Dekker, Inc., NY, 2002, 59-85.
- “Ion Hydration and Ion-Pair Formation in Water”, Fulton, J. L., Hoffmann, M. M., Darab, J. G., Palmer, B. J., Stern, E. A., APS Forefront, 2001, Vol. 1, pp. 83-85.
- “An Infrared and X-ray Absorption Study of the Structure and Equilibrium of Chromate, Bichromate and Dichromate in High-Temperature Aqueous Solutions”, Hoffmann, M. M.; Darab, J. G.; Fulton, J. L., Journal of Physical Chemistry A2001, Vol. 105, pp. 6876-6885.
- “An Infrared and X-ray Absorption Study of the Equilibria and Structures of the Chromate, Bichromate and Dichromate in Ambient Aqueous Solutions”, Hoffmann, M. M.; Darab, J. G.; Fulton, J. L., Journal of Physical Chemistry A2001, Vol. 105, pp. 1772-1782.
- “X-ray Absorption Spectroscopy and Imaging of Heterogeneous Hydrothermal Mixtures Using a Diamond Microreactor Cell”, Fulton, J. L.; Darab, J. G.; Hoffmann, M. M., Review of Scientific Instruments, 2001, Vol. 72, pp. 2117.
- “An X-ray Absorption Fine Structure Study of Copper(I) Chloride Coordination Structure in Water up to 325°C”, Fulton, J. L.; Hoffmann, M. M.; Darab, J. G., Chemical Physics Letters, 2000, Vol. 330, pp. 300-308.
- “Copper(I) and Copper(II) Coordination Structure under Hydrothermal Conditions at 325 oC: An XAFS and MD Study”, Fulton, J. L; Hoffmann, M. M.; Darab, J. G.; Palmer, B. J.; Stern, E. A, Journal of Physical Chemistry A, 2000, Vol. 104, pp. 11651-11663.
- “The Corrosion of Nickel Metal by a High Temperature Aqueous Sodium Tungstate Solution Observed in situ by IR Spectroscopy”, Hoffmann, M. M.; Fulton, J. L., Corrosion Journal, 2000, Vol 56, pp. 501-504.
- “A Short-Path Length, High-Pressure Optical Flow-Cell for Static and Time-Resolved Infrared Spectroscopy, Suitable for Supercritical Fluid Solutions Including Hydrothermal Systems”, Hoffmann, M. M.; Addleman, R. S.; Fulton, J. L., Review of Scientific Instruments, 2000, Vol. 71, pp. 1552-1556.
- “XAFS Studies of Aqueous Tungstate and Chrome Solutions at High Temperatures and Pressures”, Hoffmann, M. M.; Darab, J. G.; Fulton, J. L., in: Proceedings of the 13 th International Conference on the Properties of Water and Steam, Eds. Tremaine, P. R.; Hill, P. G.; Irish, D. E.; Balakrishnan, P. V., NRC Press, Ottawa, 2000, pp. 585-592.
- “A Transition from a Six- to a Four-Coordinate Ni 2+ Complex in High-Temperature Aqueous Solutions from X-ray Absorption Spectroscopy”, Fulton, J. L.; Darab, J. G.; Hoffmann, M. M., in: Proceedings of the 13 th International Conference on the Properties of Water and Steam, Eds. Tremaine, P. R.; Hill, P. G.; Irish, D. E.; Balakrishnan, P. V.; NRC Press, Ottawa, 2000, pp. 593-598.
- “Unusual Dysprosium Ceramic Nano-Fiber Growth in a Supercritical Aqueous Solution”, Hoffmann, M. M.; Young, J. S.; Fulton, J. L., Journal of Material Science, 2000, Vol. 35, pp. 4177-4183.
- “New Experimental Developments for in situ XAFS Studies of Chemical Reactions under Hydrothermal Conditions”, Hoffmann, M. M.; Darab, J. G.; Heald, S. M.; Yonker, C. R.; Fulton, J. L., Chemical Geology, 2000, Vol. 167, pp. 89-103.
- “A Transition in the Ni 2+ Structure from Six- to Four-Coordinate upon Formation of the Ion Pair Species in Supercritical Water: An XAFS, NIR, and MD Study”, Hoffmann, M. M.; Darab, J. G.; Palmer, B. J.; Fulton, J. L., Journal of Physical Chemistry A, 1999, Vol. 103, pp. 8471-8482.
- “Studying in situ Hydrothermal Reactions with X-ray Absorption Spectroscopy”, Hoffmann, M. M.; Darab, J. G.; Fulton, J. L.; Stern, E. A., Mineralogical Magazine, 1998, Vol. 62A, pp. 636-637.
Publications from Doctoral Research at Washington University in St. Louis:
- “Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Evidence of Disorder and Motion in Yttrium Trideuteride”, Balbach, J. J.; Conradi, M. S.; Hoffmann, M. M.; Udovic, T. J.; Adolphi, N. L., Physical Review B, 1998, Vol. 58, pp. 14823-14832.
- “Hydrogen Exchange Reactions in Supercritical Media Monitored by in situ NMR”, Hoffmann, M. M.; Conradi, M. S., Journal of Supercritical Fluids, 1998, Vol. 14, pp. 31-40.
- “Are There Hydrogen Bonds in Supercritical Methanol and Ethanol?”, Hoffmann, M. M.; Conradi, M. S., Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 1998, Vol. 102, pp. 263-271.
- “Hydrogen Bonding and Exchange in Alcohols and Water”, Hoffmann, M. M.; Conradi, M. S., Symposium on General Papers, American Chemical Society, Division of Petroleum Chemistry, J. Reynold, Ed.; Las Vegas, NV, 1997, pp. 686-690.
- “Hydrogen Bonding in Supercritical Water, Methanol and Ethanol”, Hoffmann, M. M.; Conradi, M. S., Proceedings of the Fifth International Symposium on Hydrothermal Reactions, Palmer, A. P.; Wesolowski, D. J., Ed.; Gatlinburg, TN, 1997, pp. 176-180.
- “Are There Hydrogen Bonds in Supercritical Water?”, Hoffmann, M. M.; Conradi, M. S., Journal of the American Chemical Society, 1997, Vol. 119, pp. 3811-3817.
- “Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Probe for Supercritical Water and Aqueous Solutions”, Hoffmann, M. M.; Conradi, M. S., Review of Scientific Instruments, 1997, Vol. 68, pp. 159-164.
- “Nonionic Liquid Surfactants as Green Solvents”, M. M. Hoffmann, PCT Int. Appl. (2006), 13 pp.,WO 2006/020440.
- “Rare Earth Oxide Fluoride Nanoparticles and Hydrothermal Method for Forming Nanoparticles”, J. L. Fulton, M. M., Hoffmann, U. S. Patent No. 6,316,377; Nov. 13, 2001.