Remote Writing Tutoring
Remote Writing Tutoring Program
The Student Learning Center (SLC) offers a synchronous (real time) writing tutoring program in order to support students taking courses through the SUNY Learning Network or at the MetroCenter who are not able to travel to the Brockport campus.
To access remote writing tutoring
- Call (585) 395-2293 to schedule an appointment. Tell the SLC staff member that you wish to make an appointment for Remote Writing Tutoring.
- You will be given the following information for your appointment: phone number, email address, date, and time. Write this information down.
- Send your paper to the SLC e-mail address you were given at least 15 minutes before your appointment.
- Call the number you’ve been given at your scheduled appointment time. If possible, call from a hands-free phone. (MetroCenter students, please consider using the MetroCenter "Phone Loan" Service, mentioned below.)
- Have an electronic or hard copy of your paper in front of you during your phone conversation with the writing tutor. (Your tutor will review your paper on the computer screen while talking to you on the phone.)
Writing Tutoring at the SLC
Writing tutors can help you talk through an assignment, articulate a thesis, focus your paragraphs, improve transitions, identify confusing passages or mistakes in grammar and punctuation, and cite your sources correctly.
MetroCenter “Phone Loan” Service
If you wish to call your tutor on a land-line phone located in the technology wing at the MetroCenter, you may borrow a headset for your tutoring session. To do so:
- Go to the 3rd floor administrative wing to exchange your ID and sign-out a headset.
- Go to the 3rd floor technology wing hallway and follow the instructions posted on the wall near the “Group Collaboration Center” cluster of PC’s.