Main Page Content
Varsity team, 1969 Saga
Tennis courts for the use of students are first mentioned in the catalog for 1900. Men's teams first appear in the 1930s, while the first mention of a tennis club or team for women, separate from the general intramural program, appears in 1968. On April 26, 1968 the Stylus reported that,
Miss Ruth McDonald, advisor to Brockport's first women's tennis club, has slated competition with Buffalo, Potsdam, St. Lawrence, Cortland and the University of Rochester.
Practices are held three nights a week... Top players become eligible to represent Brockport in competition based upon the results of a ladder tournament held prior to each scholastic match.
Four doubles and six singles entries are participating at present... Currently leading in singles are Kathy Scully, Diane Szczerbacki, and Ann Baldwin. Tops in doubles are Ann Keough & Barb Rondeau, and Sadie Scheller & Barb Kern...
The tennis club hopes to establish a winning tradition in this, its first season. Spectator support is welcome!