Main Page Content
The Office of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion along with the President's Council on Diversity and Inclusion, guides efforts to communicate to the College community Brockport's commitment to diversity and equity; develop and monitor the College's Diversity Plan; prepare and analyze reports to monitor our success; and conceptualize and cultivate diversity as an institutional and educational priority.
Welcome to the Office of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion!
My name is Dr. Cephas Archie, Chief Diversity Officer for The College at Brockport, and it is my privilege to oversee the Office of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion. The Office is committed to providing all members of the Brockport community with guidance, resources, services and supports to capitalize on the advantages afforded through the intentional pursuit and attainment of inclusive excellence.
It is the responsibility of all community members to be respectful and promote an academic and professional environment conducive to growth and learning of all people. Honoring the values of the College’s Strategic Plan, we are dedicated to providing our students, faculty and staff with initiatives that focus on becoming a “Great Place to Learn and Work.”
Recognizing that diversity is more than the unique attributes that divide us, we are equally committed to highlighting the many ways we are the same – creating meaningful and collaborative partnerships benefiting all. It is my hope that by facilitating opportunities fostering equity, diversity and inclusion (EDI) all community members can embrace our institutional charge of Building a Better Brockport, Together!
The Office of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion promotes the integration of diversity-related instruction and research into ongoing Brockport initiatives to enhance academic excellence. The various areas covered include professional development, recruitment and retention, policy review and procedures, and bias reporting. Additionally, by maintaining engagement through trainings and dialogues it is intended that a culture of inclusive excellence will enrich the entire college community. In accordance with the SUNY system, the institutional policies and protocols aim to strengthen Brockport’s ability to create a learning environment needed to develop the extraordinary leaders who will succeed in an increasingly culturally diverse and globalized society.
To create a better Brockport where inclusivity is promoted through integration of students, faculty/staff, and the community by means of collaborative events specifically designed to enhance knowledge of topics relevant to eliminating inequity.
- Foster an inclusive learning and welcoming campus environment.
- Provide social and educational opportunities for students, faculty, and staff that will enhance their cultural experiences, to encourage greater global relationships.
- Treat all people with dignity, open-mindedness, and esteem.
- Have an actively engaged campus community that is aware of and appreciates multiculturalism and the multi-faceted aspects of our identity that each of us brings to the Brockport campus.
- Active engagement of equity, diversity and inclusion.
Better Community Statement
As citizens of a broad and pluralist society, we encourage those of all cultures, orientations and backgrounds to educate, understand and respect one another in a safe environment.
- We respect the dignity of all persons and assume the best about them.
- We challenge and reject all forms of bigotry while striving to learn from each other’s differences.
- We celebrate our differences while appreciating our similarities. We value an inclusive environment that is accepting of each other’s cultural, physical, cognitive, social and professional differences.
- We respect the rights of each and every member of the community, regardless of race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, medical condition, disability or socioeconomic status.
- We realize that our common interests exceed our individual differences.
As members of this College community, we strive for academic and personal excellence that will enable us to achieve lives of productive work, personal enrichment and useful citizenship in an increasingly interdependent world.
- We invite the exploration of new ideas that can stretch us beyond artificial barriers that are academic, political or social.
- We affirm that the well-being of our individual units, groups, organizations or disciplines cannot be separated from the overall College community.
- We, as members of smaller groups on campus, respect and affirm the transcendent values and principles of the overall College community.
- We uphold the right of each individual to pursue his or her intellectual, educational, professional and personal goals in a fair and encouraging environment.
As individuals who work, study or live in this College community, we affirm our rights to freedom of expression and association, and the belief that they must be exercised responsibly.
- We value the right to due process which includes concepts of fairness, notice, opportunity to be heard, and timely and objective review of determinations.
- We acknowledge that free speech, debate and discourse are necessary to achieve an examined life.
- We acknowledge that the essence of academic freedom is the free and open expression and exchange of ideas, even when controversial or unconventional.
- We affirm that the dignity of our Brockport community is protected when free speech, academic freedom and individual rights are expressed only with responsible and careful regard for the feelings and sensitivities of others.
The spirit of building a better community is best served when the ideals of integrity, civility and justice are expressed and debated with tolerance and good will.
The Better Community Statement is a declaration of the values and beliefs of the College and Student Senates of the State University of New York College at Brockport. It is not intended to obligate, or to be binding upon, any student at the College, nor is it intended to provide grounds for disciplinary action against any student at the College.
September 20, 2018
Talon TV is highlighting members of the Brockport community that have demonstrated excellence in service, scholarship and leadership from the diverse communities reflected throughout the institution.
Promoting Excellence in Diversity (PED) Grants
The grants support proposals from faculty, staff and students for scholarly and artistic events that will have an impact on our mission, curriculum, faculty and staff development, students and the teaching and learning environment. Learn more and apply
Deadlines for the 2018-19 Academic Year
- August 20, 2018
- September 23, 2018
- October 28, 2018
- February 17, 2019
- April 7, 2019
For information about diversity initiatives at Brockport, contact:
Dr. Kiera Duckworth
Diversity and Inclusion Program Coordinator
350 New Campus Dr.
Brockport, NY 14420