On April 6, Jalil Muntaqim, previously known as Anthony Bottom, will deliver a talk as an invited guest of a SUNY Brockport faculty member.
Mr. Muntaqim joined the Black Panther Party at age 16 and the Black Liberation Army at 18. In 1971, he was convicted in the killing of two New York City Police Officers. He spent nearly 50 years in prison for this crime before being released on parole in 2020.
While in prison, Mr. Muntaqim was an educator, co-founded the Jericho Movement, and initiated the International Jericho March on Washington (1998) and We Charge Genocide: International Tribunal to the United Nations (October 2021). He is the author of We Are Our Own Liberators. Mr. Muntaqim is a member of Citizens Action Network and People Liberation Program (PLP).
This site is intended to provide comprehensive information about how SUNY Brockport is managing this event.
- April 6 — Update on Jalil Muntaqim Event
- March 23 — Update on Jalil Muntaqim Event
- March 22 — Provost Update
- March 20 — Update on Jalil Muntaqim Event
- March 16 — Update on Jalil Muntaqim Event
- March 14 — Jalil Muntaqim Event
- March 11 — A Statement from the Chief Diversity Officer
Frequently Asked Questions
Mental Health Resources
We recognize that this event has, and will continue to, elicit strong emotional reactions, and for some, trigger a response to previous trauma. Members of our campus community are invited to utilize the support services available to assist in processing and dealing with the impact this event may be having.
Current Brockport Students:
- The Counseling Center – Hazen Hall
- Call or Stop In: Open Access Hours are Mon. – Fri. from 8 - 11 am (no appointment necessary)
- SUNY Crisis Text Line: Text Got5U to 741-741
- The Steve Fund (Students of Color): Text STEVE to 741-741
- LifeLine: 24/7 (585) 275-5151
Employee Assistance Program
Phone: (585) 395-EAP1 (3271)