Declaring Your Academic Major as a Transfer

Sure, we already have a good idea of what you plan to study at The College at Brockport Brockport from your Admissions application, but you will still need to declare that major formally.

Main Page Content

You can start the process by completing a Declaration of Major form available in the Office of Academic Advisement or simply visit the academic department and ask for the form. The department chair or advisement coordinator will then assign you a faculty advisor within that department. The Declaration of Major form officially states your major and advisor on college records, so that your records will be sent to the correct department when you need advisement.

Some majors are more restrictive and/or competitive. Those majors often require a set of courses (prerequisites) to be successfully completed before accepted into that major. For those majors, you will declare an ‘Intent to Major’.

Majors that you will declare as 'Intent To Major' and that require acceptance by the department upon completion of a set of prerequisite courses:

This also brings you a departmental advisor who will assist you in meeting prerequisite requirements and working toward becoming an official major.

The Declaration of Major form is also used to add or drop majors, minors, second majors, concentrations, and Teacher Certification Programs.

If you declare a second major, a minor, or are accepted into a teaching certification program, you will be assigned an advisor from each program.

If you're undecided about a major, the Academic Advisement Office will assist you with advisement until you choose a major. The Office of Career Services can provide direction and options as you define your academic career goals.

New Student Info

Last Updated 8/13/18

Close mobile nav