Transfer Credit Appeals

When you transfer to Brockport, you will receive a transcript evaluation as close to the time of admission as possible, but no later than the payment of your enrollment deposit.

Main Page Content

The transcript evaluation provided on your Degree Audit Report (DARS) will show how your prior courses will be accepted in transfer and apply toward your major. If you do not agree with the class articulations, please submit a Notice of Award of Transfer Credit form (make this a link to the online form) along with the course description and/or syllabus to the appropriate department.

If you do not agree with the department’s decision on the granting or placement of credit that you earned at a prior SUNY institution, you have the right to submit an appeal to Brockport’s campus transfer representative. You can go on line to obtain the forms from our Forms Page or come to the Office of Academic Advisement to pick one up. Please contact Brockport’s representative with your questions about the process and your next steps:
Deb Birkins
Acting Director of Academic Advisement
Academic Advisement
101 Rakov Center
Phone: 585-395-2711
(Please put “Transfer Credit Appeal” in the subject line)

Brockport Local Appeal Process

  1. The student filing the appeal begins the process by delivering this form and all appended documentation to the Office of Academic Advisement, which will stamp the appeal with the date received and will immediately forward the file to both the appropriate department chair and the Office of Transfer Articulation. 
  2. The department chair will attach a copy of the syllabus from the Brockport course for which transfer credit is claimed, if one has not already been provided.
  3. The department chair will consider the appeal and decide to sustain or reject the appeal.

If the Department Chair Sustains the Appeal

The student or department simply returns the appeal material to Academic Advisement with the request that the student be given transfer equivalency credit as approved, and the appealing student’s DARS will be adjusted to reflect the new articulation. The student and the Office of Transfer Articulation will be so informed, and, if the chairperson has ruled that the equivalency is applicable for all students, the campus transfer articulation tables will be changed to reflect the newly established course equivalency.

If the Department Chair Rejects the Appeal

  1. The student will attach her/his opinion in writing to the file and return it to Academic Advisement within ten business days.
  2. Academic Advisement will notify the student and determine whether the student wishes to appeal to the Vice Provost for Academic Affairs.

If the Student Wishes to Continue the Appeal

The Vice Provost’s Office will review the appeal documents; may consult with the department chairperson and the dean; and make an independent determination on the matter within an additional five business days. If the Vice Provost supports the department’s judgment against the appeal, the student (and Offices of Transfer Articulation and Academic Advisement) will be notified in writing of this decision and no other action will taken. The Vice Provost’s decision is the final level of campus review. The student will be informed of his/her further right of appeal to SUNY System Administration.

SUNY System Appeal Process

If you still do not agree with Brockport’s decision, or you have not received a response in 15 business days from submitting the appeal, you may appeal to the SUNY System Provost.

You can submit the appeal by filling out a student appeal form, and sending it along with requested material via email to:, or send via certified mail to:

Dr. David Lavallee
Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs
SUNY System Administration
One University Plaza
Albany, NY  12246

The SUNY Provost will respond to your appeal within five business days from receipt of the completed appeal application. If the decision finds merit to change the course to meet a major requirement, the receiving institution will be notified to take appropriate action.

The Transfer Credit Appeal form is available on our Forms page.

Last Updated 8/13/18

Close mobile nav