Your Advisor

Advisement at The College at Brockport is more than the simple dispensing of information about degree requirements, policies, and procedures.

Main Page Content

It is an interchange between you and your advisor to help plan your academic program and to tailor your academic program to your career goals.

Advisement requires you and your advisor to know where you are in your college education at any time. The College believes it has a responsibility to provide you with an academic advisor and to be sure the two of you meet every semester.

Ways to Meet Your Advisor

Entering as a Freshman

  • You are required to take an Academic Planning Seminar during your first semester. This course provides an initial orientation to college life, learning skills, careers, and the information and ideas necessary to plan an overall academic program.
  • Depending on your General Education Program, the Academic Planning Seminar (APS) will have different course designations:
    • Traditional Program--GEP 100
    • Delta College--DCC 100
    • Educational Opportunity Program--GEP 120
    • Honors College--HON 112

The seminar's instructor will be your academic advisor until you choose a major. Once you declare a major, you will be assigned an advisor from that department.

Entering as a Transfer Student

  • If you are transferring with more than 54 credits, you must declare a major.
  • You will be assigned a faculty advisor in your major department.

Don't forget, advisors only get assigned when you formally declare your major!

Stop in to either your academic department or Academic Advisement to fill out the Major Declaration Form. If you declare a second major, minor, or are accepted into a teacher certification program, you are assigned an advisor from each program.

  • Your advisor's approval is required for course registration and is demonstrated by a signature on the Undergraduate Advisement Form (for in-person registration) or use of your advisement key number (for web registration) before registering for any course for the upcoming semester.
  • What happens if you choose to take different courses than those you and your advisor have agreed upon? Nothing. Your advisor is offering advice, not issuing an order. You have the right to take what you want, provided it does not contradict College policy. However, it does mean that if you make a misjudgment in your selection, you will have to take full responsibility.
  • What if you don't like your advisor or you don't think you are getting the advice you need? Think hard about this one. After careful consideration, if you are convinced that you could benefit by an advisor change, speak with either the department chair or the department's advisement coordinator. You may have a faculty member in mind, and may feel comfortable making a specific request, provided it was discussed in advance with your intended advisor.

Undecided on a major?

Visit the Office of Career Services

They can help you explore different majors and careers!

101 Rakov Center for Student Services
The College at Brockport
Brockport, NY  14420

Once you have declared a major, you will be assigned an appropriate advisor from your new major department.

Last Updated 8/13/18

Close mobile nav