The Second Year Experience program aims to provide resources for students in their second undergraduate year — from developing skills for academic success, to gaining professional expertise.
For many students, the second year of college presents unique challenges including formulating major and career goals, defining individual purpose, and developing meaningful relationships with peers and faculty.
Students who participate in the Second-Year Experience program have an opportunity to:
- Refine their academic skills
- Explore internship and study abroad opportunities
- Participate in leadership and peer mentoring programs
For more information or to get involved with Second Year Experience, contact:
Academic Success Center — Advisement and Retention
585-395-5397 or 585-395-2711
Peer Mentor Program
The Peer Mentoring program matches first-year students during the Fall semester with trained upper-class students.
New Peer Mentors will earn two upper division elective credits for the Fall semester.
All Returning Peer Mentors will earn one upper division elective credit for the Fall semester.
Peer Mentor Roles and Responsibilities
- Peer Mentors are representatives of The College at Brockport starting the summer before, and continuing throughout the Fall academic semester.
- Peer Mentors play a vital role in helping new students learn about our campus and community by creating a welcoming and informative environment.
- Peer Mentors are role models and resources for students. They are responsible for communicating information about academic policies and programs, clubs, organizations, campus life and curricular and co-curricular activities.
Qualifications and Criteria
- Must be a full time, matriculated undergraduate student with a flexible co-curricular schedule.
- Able to accommodate one APS section in their schedule. Students who are not available during any of the offered APS sections cannot be mentors.
- Must be in good disciplinary (student conduct) and academic standing.
- Must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5.
- Involved in co-curricular activities.
- Possess the ability to be hard-working, flexible and have a sense of humor.
- Exhibit excellent communication skills (especially public speaking) and leadership capabilities.
- Possess outstanding organizational skills.
- Ability and desire to work with students, faculty and staff.
- Have a strong commitment to The College at Brockport and the philosophy behind the Peer Mentoring Program.
The deadline to apply is March 1 at 5pm for Fall 2019 Peer Mentors. Please complete the Fall 2019 New Peer Mentor Application for consideration.