Temporary Academic Leave

A Temporary Academic Leave is defined by SUNY Brockport as an approved complete, temporary withdrawal from the College.

Main Page Content

A Leave has two advantages: it "freezes" your academic requirements, allowing you to retain the requirements in place when you last enrolled. A Leave also allows you to register without being readmitted. All matriculated undergraduates will be granted a Temporary Academic Leave upon withdrawing except:

  • students who are in their first semester back after an academic dismissal, or
  • students who have been reinstated following a dismissal.

A Temporary Academic Leave is good for a maximum of three consecutive semesters. A Leave for part of a semester counts as one semester. Please be aware that students who earn no credits at Brockport for three consecutive semesters (by any combination of not enrolling, failing, or withdrawing) and are not registered in the fourth semester will be formally separated from the College, and will need to reapply. This is regardless of Leave status granted previously. Get more information about readmittance.

Separation Request / Temporary Academic Leave Form

Temporary Academic Leave Policy

Note: These forms are for matriculated undergraduate students only. If you are a graduate student, contact the The Center for Graduate Studies. Non-matriculated students should contact Registration and Records.

Should I take a Temporary Academic Leave?

Many students seek a leave of absence because they are doing poorly academically and look at withdrawal as a way out. You may have better options.

Students may withdraw from individual courses by dropping the course in Banner Web prior to a semester, or by completing a Course Withdrawal Form during the semester, available from Registration and Records.

When students are absent from classes exceeding one week for extenuating circumstances beyond the student’s control, the student may notify the secretary in the Office of the Vice President for Enrollment Management and Student Affairs at (585) 395-2772 / 2137. The secretary will then notify the faculty members of the absence in writing. This notification is not an excuse nor does it obligate the faculty member in any way, nor does this relieve the student from his or her obligation to complete assignments. If you are Leaving the College completely, please read the options below to see which is best for you. Non-matriculated students should contact Registration and Records.

For further information, contact:
To request a Leave or Inactive Status, review policies or discuss your decision:
Academic Success Center
Phone: (585) 395-5397; Fax: (585) 395-5243

For billing, holds, recalculation of aid eligibility and charges due:
Office of Student Accounts, (585) 395-2473

For re-admittance to the College (if Inactive):
Office of Undergraduate Admissions, (585) 395-2751 or 
Office of Graduate Admissions, (585) 395-5465 

For evaluation of courses taken at other colleges:
Office of Academic Advisement, (585) 395-2711

For financial aid:
Financial Aid Office, (585) 395-2501

For registration:
Office of Registration and Records, (585) 395-2531

Last Updated 9/22/22