Transfer Advisement

As students transfer into Brockport, we strive to make their transition as seamless as possible. The advisement process is a vital aspect to ensuring an easy & enjoyable transition.

Main Page Content

Declaring a Major

Transfer Students may or may not have indicated a major preference on their Admissions Application, but will need to declare that major formally upon arrival at Brockport.  

Complete a Declaration of Major Form

Your Advisor

If you are transferring with more than 54 credits:

  1. You must declare a major.
  2. Once you formally declare your major, you will be assigned a faculty advisor in your major department. 

If you are undecided AND/OR have transferred in less than 54 credits:

The Office of Academic Advisement will assist you with advisement until you choose a major. Questions can be directed to: 

Office of Academic Advisement
Albert W. Brown Building
SUNY Brockport
Brockport, NY 14420
Phone: (585) 395-2711
Fax: (585) 395-2708

Credit for Prior Learning

Academic credit can be earned for learning that has taken place through community activities, military experience, non-credit courses, private or public sector training, or even extensive in-depth reading and research.

This is intended for adults, rather than for students entering college directly after high school.

Credit awarded in recognition of prior learning is in all cases treated as transfer credit, inasmuch as it is based upon learning that took place previously.

Taking Courses Elsewhere

Once you're matriculated at SUNY Brockport, you may still take courses at other colleges and universities whether in summer school or as a visiting student. Learn more about this process here. 

Last Updated 9/22/22