Photo: Disciplines in the Program

Main Page Content

woman singingThe Arts for Children Interdisciplinary Program functions in consortium with Brockport's Departments of Art, Dance, English and Theatre and Music Studies. Twenty-one (21) credits of the 48 credit major coursework are taken within one arts discipline - art, dance, literary arts, music or theatre. This is referred to as the major's Specialty area. The deeper experiences arrived through discipline specific coursework ensures the future leader and teacher of children will have a national and state standards-based education in the arts.

All Arts for Children music specialty students must participate in the production program of the department and are also required to participate in auditions for faculty-directed productions according to departmental guidelines. Below is a listing of courses required for music specialty students. These courses take place in our updated theatre facilities.

Note to New Students

All potential majors are advised individually by the Arts for Children program director. If interested in becoming an Arts for Children Interdisciplinary major, please contact the program director, Juanita Suarez, at or call (585) 395-5137 to set up an advising appointment.

An entrance audition is required. An incoming student should be able to perform voice or on instrument at NYSSMA level IV. Also, please refer to the current College Catalog for detailed program and course information.

Note to Transfer Students

Students who intend to transfer to The College at Brockport should inquire regarding the feasibility of transferring course credit from previous institutions to Brockport. Course credits may transfer to this institution but only those that are exact equivalents to courses listed below will be counted. For further information on transferring credits, see the Academic Planning Guide.

playing piano

Teacher Certification

A listing of additional coursework necessary for classroom teacher certification (Childhood Education) may be obtained from Brockport’s CAEP-accredited Department of Education and Human Development.

For more information on applying for and obtaining certification as a regular classroom teacher, contact the Teacher Certification Office.

We strongly encourage students who are not in the teacher certification track to select a second major in:

chris walker playing piano

Last Updated 5/15/19

Close mobile navigation