Main Page Content


Tuition and Fees

Tuition and fees are due and payable by the billing due date. Below are the annual graduate student tuition and fee rates. All costs are subject to change without notice.

NYS Out-of-State
Tuition $5,100.00 $8,416.00
Room and Board 5,150.00 5,150.00
College fee 25.00 25.00
BSG Fee 145.00 145.00
Health Fee 150.00 150.00
Technology Fee 120.00 120.00
Books and Supplies 700.00 700.00
Transportation 440.00 440.00
Personal 1100.00 1100.00

New York State Residents--Part Time
Tuition $213.00 per credit
College Fee .85 per credit
Brockport Student Government Fee 6.00 per credit
Health Fee 6.50 per credit
Technology Fee 5.00 per credit

Out-of-state Residents--Part Time
Tuition $351.00 per credit
College Fee .85 per credit
Brockport Student Government Fee 6.00 per credit
Health Fee 6.50 per credit
Technology Fee 5.00 per credit

Breakage Fee: Certain lab courses may require a non-refundable breakage fee.

College Fee: This mandatory fee applies to all students, regardless of class level or degree status.

BSG Fee: This mandatory fee applies to all students, regardless of class level or degree status. Students studying in an overseas program and part-time students taking only off-campus courses may receive a waiver of the fee.

Health Fee: This mandatory fee is a major source of support for the College's Health Service, which provides primary care to students through its out-patient clinic. Students enrolled for no courses on the Brockport campus will be automatically exempted from the fee. Students taking courses only evenings and weekends will be waived from the fee upon request to the Bursar's Office.

Technology Fee: The technology fee is used to enrich the educational experience at SUNY Brockport by addressing technology needs in campus-wide computing, remote network access, public computer labs, software currency, library automation, expanded automation of student services and extended availability. It is assessed to students on the basis of their course registrations and the ability to benefit from technology services as determined by the Office of the Academic Vice President. It is automatically waived in circumstances where it has been determined that the student could not benefit from the services. Students who believe that they have a unique circumstance may request a waiver in writing by explaining that circumstance to the Student Financial Services Office.

Optional Fees
Student Alumni Association Fee: By paying the semester fee of $10, students become members of one of the largest organizations on campus. The Student Alumni Association offers a wide range of programs and services for Brockport students. Students who pay Association fees receive a valuable coupon booklet which provides discounts from many Brockport merchants. The student Alumni Association also sponsors and co-sponsors special events on campus throughout the year. Interested students are encouraged to get involved by contacting the College Development Department, Office of Alumni and Constituency Affairs, 305 Allen Administration Building, (716) 395-2451.

Matriculated graduate students pay the graduate student rate regardless of the level of the course(s) taken. Non-matriculated students with a baccalaureate degree who are not enrolled in any degree program and are:

  • taking 11 or fewer credits of (1) undergraduate courses, will be charged the appropriate student rate. (2) graduate courses, will be charged the appropriate graduate special student rate.
  • taking 12 or more credits of either undergraduate or graduate or both types of courses, will be charged the appropriate undergraduate special student rate for undergraduate-level courses, and the appropriate graduate special student rate for graduate-level courses, with a minimum of $1,700 and a maximum of $2,550 per semester for New York resident students, and a minimum of $4,150 and a maximum of $4,208 per semester for non-resident students.

Provisional teacher certification students pay according to matriculation status. Permanent teacher certification students pay the graduate student rate regardless of the level of course(s) taken.

Deferral of Payment and Financial Obligation
The State University of New York policy provides for the deferral payment of tuition, room, or board based on the receipt of financial aid from certain specified guaranteed sources of funding. The Financial Aid Office should be contacted, (716) 395-2501, regarding deferral of payment.

Students who receive assistance from the Veterans Administration and wish to defer payment on this basis should contact the Office of Veteran Affairs, (716) 395-2315.

Students who have deferred a portion or all of their educational charges are billed by the Bursar's Office on or about the mid-point of the semester, when the deferred balance is due. Students who fail to respond to this billing have all records and services of the College blocked, and are not able to receive grades and transcripts, or register for another semester, or graduate until this financial obligation is satisfied. If the student has still not made payment at the end of the semester, his/her accounts are forwarded to the New York State Attorney General's Office or to a collection agency for collection according to SUNY policy.

Waiver of Tuition
Critic or supervising teachers can either be paid a stipend or receive a tuition waiver. The tuition waivers are valued at $250 each and are only transferable to teachers employed in the school district in which service as a supervising/critic teacher was rendered. The stipend is for $200.

Supervisors of social service field work are entitled to waivers of tuition which are issued to them at the end of period in which the service was rendered. Social work waivers are not transferable.

A maximum of eight (8) credit hours of tuition may be waived in any one semester using the supervisor of social service field work waiver certificates.

These certificates are effective at the beginning of the next academic period immediately following the academic period in which the service was rendered and are valid for a period of 25 months from the effective date. Students are required to present their tuition waiver certificates when registration payment is due. Tuition payments cannot be deferred for students who expect to receive tuition waiver certificates after the tuition payment due date.

Tuition and Fee Refund Policy
All tuition and fee refunds are effective on the date the adjustment is recorded in the Registrar's Office, or on the date of separation as recorded in the Office of Registration and Records. Students who will be separating from the College must file the appropriate paperwork with the Office of Registration and Records. Graduate students who plan to leave SUNY Brockport must notify their academic department who in turn notifies the Office of Graduate Admissions. Students withdraw from all courses with the Office of Registration and Records. The Office of Separations does not issue leaves of absence to graduate students. Amounts less than $5 are refunded by request only.

Students dropping classes during the refund period should note that it is their responsibility to request that the refund be processed by the Registrar's Office. Such requests should be made as soon as possible but not later than one y ear after the end of the term for which the tuition requested to be refunded was paid to SUNY.

Fees are not refundable once the semester begins. Tuition refunds will be made only when the student's account is paid in full. The refund schedule for authorized drops from courses is as follows:

Time of Withdrawal Refund
1st Week* 100%
2nd Week 70%
3rd Week 50%
4th Week 30%
5th Week No Refund

Special Fees

Late Registration Fee: Each student permitted to complete registration after the scheduled registration period must pay a $30 late registration fee.

Returned Checks Fee: All dishonored checks returned to the Bursar's Office by the bank must be redeemed immediately in the Bursar's Office with cash, Visa or MasterCard, a money order, or a bank's cashier check. A handling charge of up to $20 is assessed for all dishonored checks.

* The first week of classes is defined as the first seven calendar days of the semester. Semesters that begin during the week (e.g. Wednesday) are considered to have that first week end on the following Tuesday.

Drops may be processed using the Touchtone Telephone System (716) 395-2600, in person at the Office of Registration and Records, through the mail to the Office of Registration and Records, SUNY Brockport, 350 New Campus Drive, Brockport, NY 14420-2966, or by fax at (716) 395-5392. Drops by mail are processed as of the postmark date on the envelope. Drops by fax are processed by the date and time received and the deadlines printed in the Schedule of Classes.

All course drops must be approved by the Office of Registration and Records. No money is refunded unless application for refund is made within one year after the end of the term for which the tuition requespted to be refunded was paid to State University.

Late Payment Fee: Students who have not made payment by the end of the scheduled registration period are assessed a $30 late payment fee.

Late Adds Fee: Students with unusual circumstances may request faculty permission to late add courses on dates specified in the Registration Schedule. Students must obtain a late add form from the Registrar, obtain the written permission of the instructor and pay a late add fee ($15) at the Bursar's Office before turning the form into the Registrar. Late Add deadlines are strictly enforced.

Students who do not comply with published tuition payment deadlines or who have other major obligations to the College may be deregistered--automatically dropped--from the courses for which they have registered prior to the new academic period. They may also be blocked from receiving College services such as receiving grades, official transcripts, and placement records.

Time Payment Plan
At SUNY Brockport we offer two payment plans. The first has a four-month option. The second has a six-month option for a given semester.

Our Time Payment Plans are designed to assist those students and their families who may find it difficult to pay the total semester bill by the first day of classes. The total semester bills are those educational costs (tuition, fees, room, and meal plan) due directly to the College which are not covered by financial aid.

  1. The scheduled payment dates for the four-month plan are July 15, August 15, September 15, and October 15 for the fall semester and December 15, January 15, February 15, and March 15 for the spring semester.
    The scheduled payment dates for the six-month plan are June 15, July 15, August 15, September 15, October 15, and November 15 for the fall semester and December 15, January 15, February 15, March 15, April 15, and May 15 for the spring semester.
  2. The semester processing fee for the four-month plan is $22.50. The semester processing fee for the six-month plan is $35.00.
  3. Amount of payment installments will be calculated by taking the total charges, adding the appropriate processing fee of either $22.50 for the four-month plan or $35.00 for the six month plan and deducting applicable financial aid awards. For example: Stafford Loan, Unsubsidized Loan, Perkins Loan, Tuition Assistance Program (TAP), Pell Grant, Private Scholarships, etc. PLEASE NOTE: Workstudy is not deferrable. You will then divide the balance by either four or six as appropriate.
  4. Payment will be accepted by check, money order, Visa, or MasterCard.
  5. Late entry into either plan is possible and will require payment of the installments due at the point of entry.
  6. Payment of scheduled installments is important. The College reserves the right to assess late payment fees of $30 and/or not offer the Time Payment Plan privileges in cases where students have not paid the installments as scheduled. The late fee is assessed after the last scheduled installment.

Application of Financial Aid to Student Accounts
As aid checks arrive on campus, the Bursar will mail to you at your local address. In some cases, the financial aid award is greater than the charges due. In these cases, when aid checks arrive at the Bursar from Albany, charges due are automatically paid. Refunds, if any, are given to the students. College policy is to make available to the student any excess financial aid from the first aid that arrives (except TAP) at the College. TAP must be applied against tuition before any excess aid is returned to the students. Any subsequent aid that arrives will be given to you as long as your account is paid. Availability of financial aid checks can be determined by calling (716) 395-2600.

Alumni Association Refunds: Alumni Association refunds must be requested separately by the student to the Alumni Association directly.

College Fee Refund: The College fee is not refundable after classes have begun for the semester.

Room Refunds: From first day of classes to midterm, withdrawals receive a 50 percent refund. After the midterm, no refunds are disbursed.

Food Service Refunds: See Food Service Contract--Terms and Conditions.

Note: Students who receive financial aid dropping below full time or withdrawing from school may have a portion of their refund returned to the program providing the aid. Additionally, financial aid funds actually given to students may have to be repaid in accordance with federal regulations. Specific details are available in the Financial Aid Office.

The State University System Administration has authorized individual SUNY colleges to utilize private collection agencies to collect outstanding student obligations. The New York State Attorney General is also used to collect outstanding student obligations. Accounts referred for collection are subject to add-on fees, interest, and court costs as appropriate.

Financial Assistance

Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)
All matriculated students, legal residents of New York state who are full time or have equivalent full-time status are eligible to apply for assistance under the Tuition Assistance Program. For purposes of TAP eligibility full time is defined as 12 credits. Those students who are graduate assistants, research assistants or are working on thesis or dissertation research should contact the TAP Clerk in the Bursar's Office for details regarding equivalent full-time status for TAP eligibility. Students should use the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). If you list a New York state school on the FAFSA, Higher Education Services Corporation will send you a preprinted TAP application. Forms are available in January for the next academic year. Awards range between $75 and $550 per year. Application is required for each year. Students are advised that continued eligibility for TAP awards requires that students maintain Good Academic Standing. (See the Your Right to Know & Academic Policies and Procedures Handbook--section entitled Academic Standards and Financial Assistance.)

Federal Programs
The following awards: Federal Perkins Loans, Federal College Work Study Program, and the Federal Direct Student Loans, can be applied for by filing a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). These forms are available from the Financial Aid Office. Applications should be filed by March 15 for consideration of award for the next academic year.

Perkins Loans
These are low-interest, long-term loans. Repayment begins nine months after the student ceases to be at least a half-time student. Students must be matriculated to receive this loan.

Federal Direct Student Loans (Subsidized and Unsubsidized Stafford Loans)
These loans are for matriculated students who are attending on at least a half-time basis. They are low-interest loans with a lengthy repayment schedule. Apply yearly during the spring to ensure funds for September.

Federal College Work Study Program (CWSP)
This program offers jobs to matriculated students demonstrating financial need and desire to work. Positions are available in almost every department and administrative office. Every effort is made to correlate the job with the student's interest and schedule.

College Scholarships and Awards
For information about graduate scholarships and awards, contact the Office of Academic Affairs, (716) 395-2523. Information about these scholarships and awards also may appear in y our departmental bulletins.

Alumni Association Awards Program

  1. Current Student Award. Two $1,000 awards are made yearly to full-time undergraduate or graduate students who have strong scholastic achievement, co-curricular activity, community service and employment experience.
  2. Graduate Award. One $1,000 award is made annually to a full- or part-time matriculated or non-matriculated transfer or current graduate student who has demonstrated scholastic achievement, co-curricular activity, community service, and employment experience.

Graduate Assistantships and Fellowships

Graduate students applying for an assistantship or fellowship must be matriculated upon entry to the College and must complete a TAP application or submit an affidavit attesting to their ineligibility. The assistant's or fellow's responsibilities do not ordinarily require more than an average of 15 hours per week.

Guidelines for Awarding of Graduate and Teaching Assistantships

  1. The primary responsibility for recommendation of candidates for Graduate and Teaching Assistantships rests with the department or program in which the GA/TA is assigned.
  2. The department or program will determine required qualifications and screen applicants for the tasks to be assigned following appropriate affirmative action procedures.
  3. The GA/TA must be matriculated in a graduate program and must have applied for TAP in order to be eligible for the Assistantship and tuition waiver.
  4. Recommendation for a GA/TA is made by the department/program through the dean to the Vice President for Academic Affairs.
  5. The Vice President for Academic Affairs awards the GA/TA.
  6. The department or program will evaluate the performance of the GA/TA at the end of the first year. The criteria for evaluation will vary according to the discipline and the tasks assigned. The department/program will recommend renewal or non-renewal for a second year. Normally the award will not exceed two years.

Teaching Assistantships
Teaching assistants are matriculated graduate students appointed to such rank upon departmental recommendation. Appointments for the academic year currently carry a $5,000 stipend and up to nine credits of tuition waiver per semester. To apply, students should contact the department chairperson in the area of their degree.

Research Assistantships
Research assistantships are funded by grants and contracts awarded to the College from outside agencies. The responsibility of awarding research assistantships rests with the project director of the grant or contract. Stipends vary among projects and do not include a waiver of tuition. Students should contact the department in which they wish to pursue their program in order to determine the availability of such awards.

Underrepresented Minority Graduate Fellowships
A limited number of fellowships are available to full-time, matriculated graduate students who are of African-American, Hispanic, or Native American descent. They carry a $7,500 stipend and tuition waiver equivalent to the graduate in-state rate. Applications may be obtained from the Office of Academic Affairs, (716) 395-2525.

Private Scholarships and Awards
The STAR center in the Financial Aid Office offers multi-media resources to help students locate private funding. Students seek these scholarships on their own and awards are made as specified by the agency offering the scholarship. Locally determined scholarships and awards are publicized. You should always apply annually using the federal and state applications if you desire to be considered for federal and state financial aid programs.

Alumni Scholarships
The Brockport Alumni Association awards a number of scholarships annually. Any full-time or part-time graduate or undergraduate student in an approved curriculum is eligible to apply for these scholarships which are one-time awards presented during the annual Honors Convocation program each spring. For information, call (716) 395-5809.

Last Updated 7/1/20

Close mobile navigation