Main Page Content


Tuition and Fees


Out-of-state Residents


Affirmation of Enrollment and Acceptance of Financial Responsibility

Canceling Enrollment and Declining Financial Responsibility

Payment of Tuition, Fees, Room and Board


Waiver of Mandatory Fees

Tuition Waivers

Application of Financial Aid to Student Accounts

Financial Assistance and Academic Standards for Graduate Students

Graduate Assistantships and Fellowships


Tuition and fees are due and payable by the payment due date (see Payment of Tuition, Fees, Room and Board.) All costs are subject to change without notice.

Matriculated graduate students pay the graduate student rate regardless of the level of the course(s) taken. Non-degree status (non-matriculated) students with a baccalaureate degree who are:

  1. taking 11 or fewer credits of undergraduate courses, will be charged the appropriate undergraduate rate; or
  2. taking 11 or fewer credits of graduate courses, will be charged the appropriate graduate rate; or
  3. taking 12 or more credits of either undergraduate or graduate or both types of courses, will be charged the appropriate undergraduate rate for the undergraduate courses, and the appropriate graduate rate for the graduate courses, with a minimum of $2,175 and a maximum of $3,450 per semester for New York state resident students, and a minimum of $5,305 and a maximum of $5,460 per semester for non-resident students.

For billing purposes, certification graduate students are those non-degree status (non-matriculated) students who are seeking New York state teacher certification, but who are not enrolled in a master's degree program. This designation includes:

  1. persons who have completed baccalaureate degrees and wish to complete the additional course work required for provisional or initial teacher certification; and
  2. persons who hold teaching certificates and wish to complete the requirements for certification in additional areas/levels of teaching.

Provisional or initial certification graduate students pay according to the level of the course. Permanent or professional certification graduate students pay the graduate student rate regardless of the level of course(s) taken.

The tuition and fees below were accurate as of the catalog printing. For the most up-to-date information, refer to the Bursar's Office.


NYS Price Out-of-State Price
Tuition $6,900.00 $10,920.00
Room and Board 7,226.00 7,226
College fee 25.00 25.00
BSG Fee 192.00 192.00
Health Fee 228.00 228.00
Technology Fee 228.00 228.00
Books and Supplies 900.00 900.00
Transportation 130.00 130.00
Personal 1,562.00 1,562.00

New York State Residents(Part Time) Price Per Credit
Tuition $288.00 per credit
College Fee .85 per credit
Brockport Student Government Fee 8.00 per credit
Health Fee 9.50 per credit
Technology Fee 9.50 per credit

Out-of-state Residents(Part Time) Price Per Credit
Tuition $455.00 per credit
College Fee .85 per credit
Brockport Student Government Fee 8.00 per credit
Health Fee 9.50 per credit
Technology Fee 9.50 per credit

Tuition and fees are subject to change without prior notice. Consult the Bursar's Office Web page, for current tuition information and description/policy on SUNY Brockport fees.


Eligibility for New York state tuition rates is based upon the student being a permanent resident of New York state. Although being present in New York state to attend college does not make a person a permanent resident of New York state, financially independent students can establish permanent residence in New York state without any waiting period. Information on establishing eligibility for New York state tuition rates is available on the Bursar's Office Web page at Applications for New York state tuition status must be submitted prior to the start of the academic period of study to be effective for that period of study.


College Fee: A mandatory fee that applies to all students, regardless of class level or degree status.

Brockport Student Government Fee: A mandatory fee that applies to all students, regardless of class level or degree status.

Health Fee: A mandatory fee that constitutes a major source of support for the College's Health Service, which provides primary care to students through its out-patient clinic. Students enrolled for no courses on the SUNY Brockport campus will be automatically exempted from the fee. The fee will be waived for students taking only evening and weekend courses upon request to the Bursar's Office.

Technology Fee: A fee used to enrich the educational experience at SUNY Brockport by addressing technology needs in campus-wide computing, remote network access, public computer labs, software currency, library automation, expanded automation of student services and extended availability. It is automatically waived for overseas academic programs.

Optional Fees
Student Alumni Association Fee: A $10 per semester fee that grants membership to one of the largest organizations on campus. The Student Alumni Association offers a wide range of programs and services for SUNY Brockport students. Students who pay Association fees receive a valuable coupon booklet that provides discounts from many Brockport merchants. The Student Alumni Association also sponsors and co-sponsors special events on campus throughout the year. Interested students are encouraged to get involved by contacting the Division of Institutional Advancement, Office of Alumni Relations, 305 Allen Administration Building, (585) 395-2451.

Special Fees

Late-registration Fee: A required $40 fee for those students permitted to complete registration after the scheduled registration period.

Returned-checks Fee: A handling charge of up to $20 assessed for all dishonored checks. All dishonored checks returned to the Bursar's Office by the bank must be redeemed immediately in the Bursar's Office with cash, Visa or MasterCard, a money order, or a bank's cashier check.

Late-payment Fee: A $30 late-payment fee assessed to students who have not made payment by the end of the scheduled registration period.

Late-add/course withdrawal Fee: A $20 fee assessed as part of the late-add/course withdrawal process.

Course Related Fees

Some courses, by their nature, have additional fees associated with them. Examples of course related fees include:

Art Fees: These fees cover the cost of materials consumed in the preparation of art work during courses in which the student retains the finished artwork.

Clinical Insurance Fee: The fee covers the cost of insurance for students involved in clinical affiliations associated with courses being taken. Examples of clinical affiliations include, but are not limited to, practica in health sciences, recreation and leisure studies, social work, nursing and psychology.

Communication (CMC) Broadcast Fees: These fees cover the cost of required audio and videotapes used during laboratory course work.

Laboratory Breakage Deposit: A refundable deposit is required for students taking certain chemistry courses where laboratory glassware is assigned to students.


An enrolled student is defined as one who has registered for courses and accepted responsibility for all associated charges. SUNY Brockport refers to this as having AFFIRMED ENROLLMENT AND ACCEPTED FINANCIAL RESPONSIBILITY. Students are not required to submit payment in order to lock in their course registration schedule. However, whether the student registers online, in person, by mail, or by fax, ALL students are required to go online and "affirm enrollment and accept financial responsibility" to lock in the course schedule. Course schedules will be reserved until a deadline published in the Schedule of Classes. If students have not affirmed enrollment and accepted financial responsibility by the published deadline, the course schedule will be removed. Subsequent registration activity will be subject to appropriate late fees.


Students who have registered for courses and affirmed enrollment and accepted financial responsibility must drop their courses prior to the start of classes to avoid financial responsibility. Procedures for dropping classes are published in the Schedule of Classes and on the Web at


Students will receive monthly bills from the SUNY Brockport Bursar's Office. It is the student's responsibility to ensure that payment is received in the Bursar's Office by the payment due date in order to avoid late payment fees. Late fees of $30 will be assessed each month that payment is not received when due. The College reserves the right to place holds on records and services, which will prevent students from receiving grades, transcripts, registering for another semester, or graduating until all financial obligations are satisfied.

Individual student account information is available through the online services of the SUNY Brockport home page. The student's ID and PIN are used to access this information. Students can review their account transactions and balance. It is recommended that this information be reviewed on a regular basis in conjunction with invoices issued by the Bursar's Office. College policies and procedures concerning payment of College charges are located on the Bursar's Office section of the SUNY Brockport Web site at

The general responsibility of students include:

  • going online and "affirming enrollment and accepting financial responsibility" to reserve courses and accept all associated charges for each semester of attendance;
  • keeping address information accurate and current on college records;
  • completing all financial aid requirements for financial aid awards used to pay college expenses.

Installment Payment Plan
SUNY Brockport's Installment Payment Plan is designed to assist those students who may find it difficult to pay the total semester bill by the first day of classes. The total semester bills are those educational costs (tuition, fees, room, and meal plan) due directly to the College, that are not covered by financial aid. Contact the Bursar's Office at (585) 395-2473 or access their Web site at for details.

Bills that are not paid or responded to by the due date are subject to a late payment fee of $30. If a student's account is referred for collection, either to a private collection agency or to the New York State Attorney General, additional amounts for collection commissions (22%), interest, and legal costs may be added to the student's bill.


Tuition and Fee Refunds
All tuition and fee refunds are effective on the date the schedule adjustment is recorded in the Registrar's Office.

The following is the refund policy established for tuition, BSG, athletic, technology and health fees.

Time of Withdrawal Refund
1st week 100 percent
2nd week 70 percent
3rd week 50 percent
4th week 30 percent
5th week No Refund

The first week of classes is defined as the first seven calendar days of the semester. Semesters that begin during the week (e.g. Wednesday) are considered to have that first week end on the following Tuesday. Actual examples of refunds are available in the Bursar's Office. Amounts less than $5 are refunded by request only.

College Fee - The College fee is not refundable after classes have begun for the semester.

Course Related Fees - Course related fees are not refundable after the start of the semester in most cases. Exceptions include art fees and lab breakage fees. Students must supply a letter from the Department of Art to the Bursar's Office noting the amount of the appropriate refund. Chemistry students must check out of their lab breakage locker. Lab breakage refunds will be determined by the department at the end of the semester.

Room Refunds - Contact the Office of Residential Life at (585) 395-2122.

Meal Plan/Easy Money Refunds - Contact Brockport Auxiliary Services Corporation at (585) 395-2570.

Students dropping below full time or withdrawing from school who receive financial aid may have a portion of their refund returned to the program providing the aid. Additionally, financial aid refunds actually given to students may have to be repaid in accordance with federal regulations. Details are available in the Financial Aid Office. Federal refund/repayment regulations mandate specific refund/repayment formula in these instances.

The College Refund Committee - The College Refund Committee considers cases in which a student must withdraw or drop courses for reasons beyond his/her control and in cases of extreme financial hardship due to non-refund. Any petitions for refunds, along with supporting documentation, must be forwarded in writing to:

Chair, College Refund Committee
SUNY College at Brockport
350 New Campus Drive
Brockport, NY 14420

Any such petition should be made as soon as possible. No money is refunded unless petition for refund is made within one year after the end of the term for which the tuition was paid.

For tuition, fee and refund questions that may not have been answered, contact the Bursar's Office at (585) 395-2473.


The assessment of fees is necessary to provide students with services and benefits that cannot be funded by other means. Some fees are use-based. Parking fees, late-add/course withdrawal fees, and Student Alumni Association fees are examples of use-based fees. Other fees are assessed to provide services and benefits to all students. These fees include the College fee, athletic fee, technology fee, Brockport Student Government fee, and health fee. The College recognizes that some students have unique situations for which the assessment of a certain fee may not be appropriate. Many exceptional situations have already been programmed into the computer and the fees are not assessed for these situations. Fees are not waived for the following reasons: not wishing to pay fees; ownership of personal computer or access to the Internet at home; subscription to a health insurance plan; status as an adult or graduate student; and non-use of a particular service. For more information, access the Bursar's Office section of the SUNY Brockport Web site at


Critic Teacher Waivers
Critic teacher waivers, also referred to as B-143 waivers, may be submitted for waiver of tuition for periods of enrollment beginning with the next academic term immediately following the semester in which the service/supervising was rendered. There is no limit on the number of critic teacher waivers that a student may remit for each semester, but the amount of waivers submitted cannot exceed the total amount of tuition assessed on the student bill. Excess critic teacher waiver funds will not be refunded to the student, but will be returned to the Commissioner of Taxation and Finance to fund future critic teacher waivers. These waivers are transferable to employees of the same school district and must be approved by the authorized chief administrative officer of the school district.

Supervisor of Social Work Waivers
Supervisor of social work field placement waivers, also known as A-143 waivers, have an effective remittance date beginning with the next academic period immediately following the academic period in which the service was rendered. Tuition charges may be waived up to a maximum of eight (8) semester credits per term at SUNY Brockport. These waivers are not transferable.

UUP Waivers
The United University Professionals union contract and SUNY guidelines stipulate usage of the UUP tuition waiver on a space-available basis. To ensure student access to courses at SUNY Brockport, individuals intending to use a UUP tuition waiver for payment may not register for the course until after the end of the add period designated for that course. Students (UUP employees) who pre-register for a course in which they intend to use a UUP space-available waiver will become liable for the full cost of tuition for that course. This policy is enforced at SUNY Brockport and is applicable to all UUP employees regardless of the employing campus.


As aid checks arrive on campus, the Bursar will mail them to the student at the student's local address. Direct deposit to the bank account of the student's choice is also available. In some cases, the financial aid award is greater than the charges due. In these cases, when aid checks arrive at the Bursar from Albany, charges due are automatically paid. Refunds, if any, are given to the student. College policy is to make available to the student any excess financial aid from the first aid that arrives (except TAP) at the College. TAP must be applied against tuition before any excess aid is returned to the student. Any subsequent aid that arrives will be given to the student as long as his/her account is paid.

Note: Students receiving financial aid who drop below full time or withdraw from school may have a portion of their refund returned to the program providing the aid. Additionally, financial aid funds actually given to students may have to be repaid in accordance with federal regulations. Specific details are available in the Financial Aid Office.



Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)
All students who are matriculated, legal residents of New York state and are full time or have equivalent full-time status are eligible to apply for assistance under the Tuition Assistance Program. For purposes of TAP eligibility, full time is normally defined as 12 graduate credits. Those students who are graduate assistants, research assistants or are working on thesis research should contact the TAP Clerk in the Bursar's Office for details regarding equivalent full-time status for TAP eligibility. Students who are at least half-time and who have a documented disability on file at the Office for Students with Disabilities may be eligible for a part-time TAP award. Students should complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to apply for TAP. If the FAFSA is electronically processed on the Web, students will be directly transferred to the TAP application Web site. Students should complete this page and click "Submit." If a student does not complete the form or is not transferred to the TAP Web site, the student will be sent a preprinted Express TAP Application (ETA) or notification of award. FAFSA forms are available in January for the next academic year. Awards range between $75 and $550 per year. Students must reapply each year. Students are advised that continued eligibility for TAP awards requires that students maintain Good Academic Standing.


To be considered for federal financial aid programs, students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and must be matriculated. The FAFSA form can be obtained from the Financial Aid Office. Applications should be filed by March 15 for consideration for an award for the next academic year.

Federal Direct Student Loans (Subsidized and Unsubsidized Stafford Loans)
These loans are for matriculated students who are attending on at least a half-time basis (six credits). They are low-interest loans with usually a 10-year repayment schedule. The unsubsidized version is not need based, but interest does accrue during in-school periods. Apply yearly by filing the FAFSA during the spring to ensure funds for September. No separate application is required.

Federal College Work-Study Program (CWSP)
This program offers jobs to matriculated students demonstrating financial need and desiring to work. Positions are available in almost every department and administrative office. Every effort is made to correlate the job with the student's interest and schedule.

Federal Perkins Loan
The loan is for matriculated graduate students with exceptional financial need as determined by the FAFSA. This loan has a fixed interest rate of five percent and payments are deferred while students are attending on at least a half-time basis. This loan is awarded only if the student has unmet need after all other sources of aid are exhausted.


Both the federal and the state governments require that students meet certain basic standards of scholarship in order to remain eligible for financial assistance. These standards have to do with how many credits students attempt each semester, how many credits they accumulate, and the grade point average they attain while doing so. Please note carefully that the federal government and the state government don't agree on the same standards. This means that students must pay attention to two slightly different sets of rules, depending on whether they are receiving federal Title IV aid - Stafford Loans (Guaranteed Student Loans), College Work Study, Perkins Loans (National Direct Student Loans) - or state aid such as TAP. In most cases, if a student is moving steadily along toward a degree, the student is probably in no danger. Students must beware of the state's "Pursuit of Program" requirement, however, which insists that students complete a certain number of credits each semester. This can surprise a perfectly satisfactory student, who just happens to drop below the required minimum in a semester, for reasons that have nothing to do with being in academic difficulty. There is one significant difference between the two standards that students should know. State standards require that the College evaluate the progress of state aid recipients at the completion of each semester, while progress according to federal standards is evaluated each academic year, at the end of the spring semester.


Grants, Scholarships and Special Awards

  1. Full-time Awards:
    • Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)
    • Persian Gulf Veterans Tuition Awards
    • Vietnam Veterans Tuition Assistance Program (VVTA)
    • Military Service Recognition Scholarship (MSRS)
  2. . Part-time Awards (special requirements apply in some instances):
    • Persian Gulf Veterans Awards
    • Vietnam Veterans Tuition Assistance Program (VVTA)

Students who receive New York state financial awards are required to maintain good academic standing in order to remain eligible. The State Education Department, for these purposes, defines a student in good academic standing as one who (1) pursues the program of study in which the student is enrolled (Pursuit of Program); and (2) makes satisfactory academic progress toward the completion of the student's program requirements (Satisfactory Academic Progress). These are defined as follows:

Pursuit of Program*
State regulations define program pursuit as receiving either a passing or a failing grade in a certain percentage of a full-time course load. The percentage increases from 50 percent of the minimum full-time load in each semester of the first year of award (six credits each semester), to 75 percent each semester of the second award year (nine credits each semester), to 100 percent each semester of the third and fourth award years (12 credits each semester). In general, graduate students are expected to complete 100 percent, 12 credits, starting with the first semester of a graduate program. Students who fail to meet these standards become ineligible to receive an award during the succeeding semester and remain ineligible until good standing is regained. (For details on regaining eligibility or waiving eligibility standards, see below.)

Generally, the State Education Department will accept any grade that indicates that the student attended the course for the entire semester and completed all necessary assignments. By these standards, both passing and failing grades are acceptable. However, "W" (Withdrawal) grades are not acceptable. Grades of "I" and "PR" are acceptable because they are usually changed to either a passing or failing grade before the completion of the succeeding semester or within a specific period of time.

Satisfactory Academic Progress*
Satisfactory Academic Progress is defined both in terms of the number of credits completed and the grade point average attained at the end of a given semester. To remain eligible for awards, students must meet the following minimum standards: (Special conditions apply for part-time student awards.)

Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards for Awards for Graduate Students:

Semester Credit Accumulated Toward Graduation Prior to Semester GPA
1 0 .00
2 6 2.00
3 12 2.50
4 21 2.75
5 30 3.00
6 45 3.00
7 60 3.00
8 75 3.00

As shown in the above table, full-time students are not expected to have earned college credits in order to be eligible for their first award payment. For the second payment, a graduate student must have earned six credits toward graduation, with a GPA of 2.00 or better; for the third, to have completed 12 credits with a cumulative GPA of 2.50; and so on.

* These standards apply only to students who received their TAP award in September 1981 or later. Students who received their first TAP award prior to September 1981 can be advised of applicable standards by the Office of Academic Advisement.

Transfer and Readmitted Students
Transfer students and students readmitted to the College after an absence of at least one year will be placed on the above scale either in accordance with the number of credits earned toward graduation or the number of TAP payments previously received, whichever is more beneficial to the student. For example, a transfer student who has received three TAP payments and earned 10 credits would be placed at (payment) semester two, rather than (payment) semester three.

Loss and Reinstatement of Student Eligibility
Students who fail to maintain good academic standing, either through failure in Pursuit of Program or in making Satisfactory Academic Progress, become ineligible for further awards. Eligibility may be regained (and payments restored) by either of the following methods:

  1. Achieving the required GPA and/or number of credits during a semester of attendance in which no state award is paid.
  2. Transferring to another institution.
  3. Being readmitted to SUNY Brockport after an absence of one calendar year or more. (Acceptance at Brockport or another institution is deemed evidence of a student's ability to complete successfully an approved program.)
  4. Waiver of eligibility.

Waiver of Eligibility Standards for State Awards
Students who fail to meet state standards for either Pursuit of Program or Satisfactory Academic Progress may request a waiver of these standards that will allow them to continue to receive award payments for the succeeding semester. When such a waiver has been granted for failure to make Satisfactory Academic Progress, the student is expected to use the semester to advance to the level the student could not achieve without the waiver. The waiver may be used if the student fails in Pursuit of Program, fails to make Satisfactory Academic Progress, or fails by both standards. However, Pursuit of Program and Satisfactory Academic Progress may not be waived separately for different semesters.

Students are eligible for only one waiver as an undergraduate student (not one for each institution attended), and one waiver as a graduate student. However, the granting of such a waiver is not automatic; it is intended only to accommodate extraordinary or unusual situations. The waiver process must include an assessment of the reasons for a student's failure to meet the established requirements for good standing, and the decision to grant the waiver must be based upon a reasonable expectation that the student will meet future requirements.

Notification of Ineligibility for State Financial Awards
Since payment of state awards is made through the Bursar's Office, students who fail to maintain good academic standing, and therefore are ineligible for a state award, will be notified by the Bursar's Office. Students affected are encouraged to discuss their status with a member of the Academic Advisement staff or with the TAP Certifying Officer located in the Bursar's Office.

Additional Requirement to Maintain State Financial Aid Eligibility

Repeat Of "C" Grades
Repeat of any course at the graduate level in which a passing grade (C or above) has already been received and which the College does not require the student to repeat may not be considered as part of that student's minimum course load for financial aid purposes. In other words, the student would have to be registered for 12 or more different credits in order to be considered as a full-time student. In addition, the repeated course may not be considered in determining whether the student has met the Pursuit of Program requirement and is in good academic standing.


Students are advised that continued eligibility for federal financial aid awards requires that students maintain Federal Good Academic Standing. Award programs applicable to graduate students and affected by the federal standards include:

Federal Perkins Loans
Federal College Work-Study
Federal Direct Loan Programs - includes Subsidized and Unsubsidized Stafford Loans

Federal law requires that satisfactory academic progress standards be measured in both quantitative (i.e., time frame for program completion) and qualitative terms (i.e., academic performance).

Maximum Time Frame Standard
Students receiving funds under Title IV must complete their degrees within 150 percent of the published program length as measured in credits or forfeit federal aid eligibility. For example, for a program requiring 30 credits, a student could not attempt more than 45 credits to complete the degree.

The maximum time frame standard evaluation for transfer students will consider only those credits attempted at SUNY Brockport or accepted for transfer credit by the academic program in which the student is enrolled

Academic Performance Standard
A student must be making satisfactory academic progress at the end of each academic year to be eligible for federal financial aid. This means that students who have attempted at least nine graduate credits at SUNY Brockport must maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 and successfully complete at least two-thirds of the credits attempted at SUNY Brockport (known as completion rate). Failure to meet this standard results in financial aid probation. Students on aid probation are still able to receive federal aid.

If, after the probationary period, the student is still not making satisfactory academic progress, the student may become ineligible for federal financial aid until he/she again achieves the required standard. In exceptional situations, students who become ineligible may be granted an extension to their probationary period. Please note that for federal aid, readmission to the College after an absence does not automatically mean reinstatement of aid eligibility.

In calculating the completion rate, the following grades are treated as attempted but not successfully completed: E, I, PR, N, U and W. Courses that are repeated to improve a grade are counted as attempted each time they are taken, but are only counted as completed once. Unlike the TAP program, every semester is considered when measuring the completion rate, whether or not the student received federal financial aid.

Regaining Eligibility for Federal Financial Aid
Appeals for Mitigating Circumstances - Occasionally students will fail to meet the established standards for reasons beyond their control. Such students may appeal their loss of eligibility, and if SUNY Brockport's designated Appeals Committee deems their performance to have been significantly hampered by such "mitigating circumstances," they will be permitted to continue in good standing for financial aid purposes under Title IV regulations. Such mitigating circumstances include serious family problems, extended illness and similar situations. All appeals must be submitted in writing to the Financial Aid Office, Rakov Center for Student Services, and should include a complete description of the circumstances that led to the academic difficulty and a plan for future academic success. Copies of supporting documentation should be included.

A student who loses eligibility may also regain it by successfully completing courses at SUNY Brockport with grades sufficient to meet the stated requirements. Such courses must be funded without benefit of Title IV aid and under no circumstances will aid be paid retroactively for those courses once eligibility has been re-established.

Upon completion of these courses, a student should submit a written request to the Financial Aid Office for re-evaluation of eligibility. The request will be reviewed by a committee of academic and financial professional staff whose determination is final.


Graduate and Teaching Assistantships
SUNY Brockport offers a finite number of graduate assistantships and teaching assistantships that provide a stipend and a tuition scholarship for nine credits per semester. Graduate students applying for an assistantship must be matriculated upon entry to the College, must complete a TAP application or submit an affidavit attesting to their ineligibility, and must be pursuing graduate study on a full-time basis. Since teaching assistants are involved in the instructional process, matriculation in the sponsoring department's graduate program is most often a qualification for the position. Both graduate assistants (GAs) and teaching assistants (TAs) work 15-20 hours per week as assigned. Assistants are assigned to faculty mentors who guide their work in keeping with career-related and professional goals.

The responsibility for recommending candidates for graduate and teaching assistantships rests with the sponsoring department or program. The department or program determines required qualifications and screens applicants. Applicants should be aware that submission of a resume is required as part of the appointment process. Recommendation for appointment to an assistantship is made by the department/program to the Dean of Graduate Studies, upon the recommendation of the school dean. The Dean of Graduate Studies awards the assistantship.

The department or program will evaluate the performance of the GA/TA for renewal purposes at the end of the first year. The criteria for evaluation will vary according to the discipline and the tasks assigned. The department/program will recommend renewal or non-renewal for a second year. Normally the assistantship will not exceed two years.

Further information on graduate and teaching assistantships is available from the Office of Graduate Studies, (585) 395-2525.

Research Assistantships
Research assistantships are funded by grants and contracts awarded to the College from outside agencies. The responsibility for awarding research assistantships rests with the project director of the grant or contract. Stipends vary among projects and may not include a waiver of tuition. Students should contact the department in which they wish to pursue their program in order to determine the availability of such awards.

Underrepresented Minority Graduate Fellowships
Students who have been accepted for matriculation into graduate programs, who will attend full time, and who are of African-American, Hispanic, or Native American descent are eligible for these SUNY-sponsored fellowships. The fellowships, awarded on a competitive basis, carry a $7,500 stipend for the academic year and a tuition waiver equivalent to the graduate in-state rate. Recipients work 15-20 hours per week in the assigned department, and are assigned to faculty mentors who guide their work in keeping with career-related and professional goals. Each recipient's performance in the fellowship is evaluated for renewal purposes on an annual basis.

Interested students must submit a completed application to the Office of Graduate Studies no later than April 1 for fall semester awards and October 15 for spring semester awards. Applications may be obtained from the Office of Graduate Studies, (585) 395-2525.

College Scholarships and Awards
For detailed information about the full range of graduate scholarships and awards, contact the Office of Graduate Studies, (585) 395-2525, the Scholarship Office at (585) 395-5414 or consult the College's publication entitled Financing Your Graduate Education. Information about these scholarships and awards also may appear in departmental bulletins.

Alumni Association Awards
The SUNY Brockport Alumni Association, (585) 395-2451, sponsors the following awards for graduate students:

Current Student Award
Two $2,000 awards are made yearly to full-time undergraduate or graduate students who have strong scholastic achievement, co-curricular activity, community service and employment experience.

Graduate Award I
One $2,000 award is made annually to a full- or part-time (minimum of six credits) matriculated transfer or current graduate student who has demonstrated scholastic achievement, co-curricular activity, community service, and employment experience.

Graduate Award II
One $2,000 award is made annually to a SUNY Brockport undergraduate alumnus/a who is a full- or part-time (minimum of six credits) matriculated or non-matriculated current graduate student who has demonstrated scholastic achievement, co-curricular activity, community service, and employment experience.

Private Scholarships and Awards
The Scholarship Office Resource Center in the Financial Aid Office offers multi-media resources to assist students in locating private funding. Students seek these scholarships on their own or with assistance from the Scholarship Office. Scholarships and awards are made as specified by the agency offering the scholarship. Locally determined scholarships and awards are publicized on a weekly basis. Students should have a Financial Aid Form on file in the Financial Aid Office if they want to be considered for a locally determined grant or non-monetary award that is based on financial need.

Last Updated 11/20/18

Close mobile navigation